Wine Guru's Enter

I know everyone has different tastes but what is some common wine types that would be good for someone who is not used to wine? Someone who really enjoys a bunch of fruity drinks at a bar I am trying to get into wine and need a good starter one that is sweeter that is good at dinner or relaxing around.

if she likes fruity bar drinks, she will like a nice sweet reisling,

any suggestions of bottles at local stores would be good too.

premier has some good screwtop reislings that my wife likes… there is one in a blue bottle called polka dot that is usually under 10 bucks.

Ah yes. I have had that one before and its really good. Completly forgot about it. Thanks!

Penguin makes some pretty good white wine. Try their Pinot Grigio or the Chardonnay.

Get a 2 Buck Chuck.
No sense in spending a lot of money on a sweet, fruity wine.
Or if you like really sweet and really expensive(relatively speaking) try an ice wine or desert wine.

make your own?

Reisling or Pinot Grigio.

I had an ice wine this past week. It was very sweet.

Ugh. Ice wine, lol.

Reisling…

BTW…with the dinner and wine threads…are you trying to get laid? Because spending $ wont help.

i know… it was like candy though.

Tis’. I did a power half-hour with a bottle before because we finished all the beer pretty quickly. Holy hangover.

Ravat 51 by Bully Hill = panty dropper

go to premier, i don’t know if they still have it, but it’s an italian red blend, it’s called camauro di cagnino. it’s very fruity and on the sweet side and not bad at all for a sweet red wine. a lot of sweeter red wines are crappy nys wines that just have high residual sugar from the colder climate. the camauro is actually a decent wine that wine drinkers can appreciate.

i typically like dry, bold red wines like zin and shiraz and petit sirah, but when i drink white wines i like a lot of german whites (riesling/traminer/silvaner) and a decent amount of french whites too. if you’re looking for something sweeter look for maybe a gewurztraminer or a liebfraumilch, even though that’s really really sweet usually.

or you could just be a baller and drink sparkling/champagne all the time. that’s my favorite thing to drink.

Ohhhhhh, how about making some mamosas, boxxxa? OJ and champagne. She will be wasted.

lol that stuff rules

Get a couple bottles and have a mini wine tasting, girls love that. Try a Riesling, a Moscato d’ Asti and a sweet red blend from NY (Merritt Bella Rosa, Swedish Hill Svenska red. Maybe buy a slightly drier bottle as well (Pinot Grigio, Pinot Noir, Zinfandel) for comparison.

http://www.mydogella.com/winebox.jpg

Stay classy NYSpeed.

Opus One