winter driving? spec V

do i need to get winter tires for the spec v over the winter?
or will the crappy continentals do ok. i’ve had fwd over winter but how are these tires?

if i need winter tires, what size (smallest) can i get away with (no brembo pkg)

Your continetals will be fine if you never want to stop or have any traction LOL.

Best thing to do is to get some good winter tires on some 15" steelies.

i would deffinatly run some winter tires and rims or steelies, if you want to drive it. i dont have continentals, and my tires hardly have any traction on rain, i have a set of 16" rims w winter tire so im ready for the winter.

Do not under any circumstances drive in the snow with the Contis. If there is any snow whatsoever you will be going nowhere fast. Unfortunately, nowhere is usually populated with many many scary curbs. :smiley:

Seriously though, don’t do it. I was dumb enough to try last year and didn’t damage my car, but I figure I got lucky - you will NOT be able to accelerate, turn, or stop even remotely safely.

werd

I drove through the winter on Proxes 4s and the only time I had troubles was through that heavy snow couple weeks. This year though I’m buying 15" steelies and winters.

You could be a baller like me and buy $1000 Blizzaks for the stock wheels. 17" Blizzaks FTMFW! :E

lol wow Louis, You and I are ballers. I did the same thing for my car… It’s a pain getting them changed. But really the first time I took my car out on Conti’s on my 04 in winter I hit a curb… They are the most useless tire.

these are my 16" ballin winter rims

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i222/special-k-0/brakes005.jpg

with nokian tires.

These cars have poor traction in warm temps with dry roads. It gets a lot worse in the snow. Torque steer central.

no shit, exept i have awesome handling when its dry and hot, its just my tires tho, as soon as it rains its like ice for me

I have a great set of Pirelli winters on steelies. Got me through the worst of Ontario winters with crazy 2 foot snow falls in one night. Never got stuck.

Yokohama AVS 17’s on Factory rims

I got cheap canadian tire tires for the winter. The Conti’s won’t work in even the slightest amount of snow.

just so i understand…
the contis aren’t really great in the dry, suck in snow, and are almost adequate in rain.

why did nissan pick these tires? :?

The Contis are at the very low end of the performance tire tree. They are not all seasons. They are a “I’m to broke to afford real tires” tire. Not complaining but nissan could of put a worse tire on the Spec.

No, the contis are only good for keeping your rims from making sparks on the road.

to be like bmw…hah i dunno

but i have a set of 4 steelies if you wnat them, they are 15’, they are yours for a mcdonalds meal or something

i had my winter tires on them but changed to a just as ugly rim :?

Great question, I wonder what Nissan would say to that? Because i have no clue.

I believe the Focus SVT used the same tires as well… they are fairly crappy. Not entirely sticky during the warmer season, and you might as well put snowboards at each corner if it snows.

My wife now drives our SpecV, but for the winter we use Motomaster Nordic Icetracs (aka Michelin Arctic Alpins w/ a diff cut). Works great and can’t beat em for the price.