Winter Woes (Long post)

Okay guys, I know little to nothing about cars but I had a few questions.

When the car is cold it makes a vree vree vree vree sound when the car is in drive and anywhere from 0 - 20km/h, it eventually goes away when car warms up. Seems like the altenator belt, unno.

How much does this normally cost to get fixed. And what will happen if it does not get fixed?

Now, the other problem is wierd. It sounds like there is a continous ticking(almost like a card in a bike tire spokes…) Behind my speedometer, sitting in the passenger seat renders it non existant but its annoying to me as the driver. Is it nothing? Is it something terrible. It is a subtle sound and increases as I accelerate and is only occuring when I give it gas. AGAIN this problem lessens as the car warms up.

My car seems to have a bit of “oomph” as it switches from 1st to 2nd - almost like a standard BUT my car is an automatic and the 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th is very smooth. Signs of tranny problems?!

The engine does have 300 000kms on it - but it seems to run hella smooth. Idles great and other then the speedo thing, lets off no random ticking or tinny sounds.

Grr I wanna sell my car.

Continuous ticking could be fromt he timing chain. Somethign to do with the guards or something. The “oopmh” Could be caused from driveshaft play, or something in the rear that is loose. Bad bushings? etc…

All i can really tell ya…hope that helps

the vree vree vree belt noise can be changed for 30 dollars and 30 dollars for the belt approximately i dong know 60 bucks ? i have the ticking noise too its your odometer playing games with you, unless its timing chain noise, and as for tranny not shifting smoothly, check auto tranny fluid level, but hey what can i say, its 300kkm on the car already =)

My tsi talon does that, mostly because its got some issue with the throttle plate and the idle valve, but some cars just don’t idle or drive right when they’re cold. It may have something to do with the itake air temp sinsor giving a funny readout. Could be a jammed IACV or AAIC whatever (FIdle or soemthing) solenoid or it could be bunk. Lots of things, as long as it runs ok once it’s warm it shouldn’t be too bad. But check those things andsee what you find.

if that vree vree vree vree sound is like the sound of sqealing then I got that too. Definately the belts. So anyone wanna change/fix my belts?

your tranny is fine. Nissan made their trannys to shift “like a hard shifting manual” all the auto trannys do it and its worse on a s14. your tranny isnt going to die.

The clicking from behind the dash is a relay, back in My old pulsarNX days alot of the pulsars had thie problem too, it gets really annoying I understand lol. If Your car is a hatchback it could be the relay for the rear hatch brake light.

http://www.roshfe.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi?s=8b67f0dce1410b545ca9048bf9d9775f;act=ST;f=26;t=49;hl=dash+click

Oh, for the clicking, check if your odometer is actually advancing :smiley: I was wondering what was going on with my car for awhile, and then I noticed odo was stopped.