Wiper Blades UP: Does it make a difference?

Does doing this…

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2084/2318685477_9a3e84867a.jpg

… make a difference? Does anyone here park their car with the wipers up during the winter?

I’ve never done it or even seen it done until this winter… am I crazy? Seems :tif:

It’s dumb, I’m gonna have to wipe off the car anyways, it’s not like I’m trying to save them from the cold/snow.

I think its stupid, it’ll wear out the wiper arm springs prematurely.

I guess if you are a retard that forgets snow is heavy and turns the wipers on when covered it is a good thing since you wont break them, but I see no good point to it.

it saves the wiper blades because when the rubber blades freeze to the window and then tear away it will cause damage. That said I don’t do it unless I know 100% it will snow and freeze them to the window.

One cool thing that I noticed about newer cars is that they are smart enough to rest the blade in different positions when it stops so the blades are not always resting on the same edge. If you own something like a newer bmw/audi/benz pay attention and you’ll see this.

while on the topic don’t forgot to clean your blades to keep them nice and sharp. just spray some wd40 into a paper towel that is folded in half then wipe the blades. It will pull all the dead rubber off and make your wipers last a lot longer.

My car hides the blades below the hood, so I can’t do that. If i could idk if i would.

I think that’s only for older cars… like something my dad would tell me, lol.

I know my truck has a cutout point so that if the blades are stuck or pushing too much weight they stop moving to protect the motor. The only time I’ve had them cut out is when there was 3" of ice on my headlights (I have headlight blades) and one of them got half way up and stopped. All I did was remove the ice and re-cycle the wipers and they went back to normal.

I also have heater elements on the windshield that free the blades when they’re frozen, but not all vehicles have that.

For retards who can’t clean their car off and put the defroster on. I’ve seen it for years and laugh at those who do it.

Whenever I see that and there isn’t a forcast for freezing rain I assume it’s a Buffalo noob. The only good it really does is keep them from freezing to your windshield and accidentally ripping the rupper up if you hit them with the ice scraper.

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 PM ----------

Your picture looks like a case of monkey see monkey do.

plus if you’re going to clean your windshield off properly then you’re going to have to lift them up anyway so it’s not like you’re avoiding something.

I do it if we’re expecting a bunch of freezing rain, or it’s starting to ice up real bad. not for snow, that’s lame…

I like doing it because then I can just go at the windshield with the scraper.

Plus it keeps ice from building up on the blade; when you stop your windshield is warm so it melts any snow that lands on it for while, this will run down and sit on your wipers then freeze. This ice gets in between the little channels of the blade which causes the blade to not contact the windshield uniformly.

i know that this is the case but i still don’t do it because i don’t want people to think i care about my wiper blades that much :slight_smile:

^ This.

I rarely do it, pretty much only when a significant amount of freezing rain is predicted. A solid coating of ice will freeze the wipers to the windshield bad enough that there’s a good chance you damage the wiper trying to scrape the window.

I never do it for snow, or the tiny bit of freezing mush we got today though.

EVERYBODY in VA does it if theres any remote chance of snow in the forecast. I’ve never done it.

I can see the point of doing it because of the ice scraper… but, I still don’t do it. Wiper blades are inexpensive enough to the point where I just don’t want to waste my time.

I’m poor enough to make my $20/ blade wipers last 2 years.

That isn’t my picture… this is my lot right now, lol;

http://www.nyspeed.com/pictures/wipers.jpg

And these are definitely Buffalo people.

I’ve never done it but I can see the benefits in certain conditions.

IE: heavy amounts of snow falling on a wrm car. This will leave considerable ice on your windshield due to the brief amount of snow that melts and re-freezes… or an ice storm. Nothing worse than fubar’d wipers while driving in the winter.

Still, I don’t ever see myself doing it.

I don’t see the benefit.

Start car, turn on defrosters, and clean the fucking car.

Wipers only rip from assholes ramming into them with a scraper and 2 inches of ice on top trying to break them free.