Wiper Problem

Hello Everyone,

One day my wipers have stopped working but I can hear the wiper motors working but making a clanking sort of sound… I bring this in to my mechanic and he states that the wiper motor transmission is gone and need to be ordered in from the dealer at a cost of $140 plus with labour and etc it will come out to $350 roughly.

Was wondering if anybody knew about this part and if the cost was correct or if anyone had this with them and wanted to sell it…

what a great new year im getting, wipers done work hehe…

let me know if you guys know anything that would be wrong with the wipers and etc…

you need the 2 internal arms, there is only 1 motor, no transmission none of that crap. these two arms are $15 each from the dealer and snap onto balls joints at the end of the motor and both wipers.

all of this junk is located under the plastc pannel on top of your fire wall, your mechanic is a fool and is trying to rip you off.

Sorry for the hijack but scribbles seems to know this stuff… can you help me out too?

My drivers side linkage OFTEN falls off from the thing it attaches too… like you know it snaps on from under the thing in the middle, well it falls off REALLY easily, and happens almost every time I use my wipers. Is there some part I can replace or do something to make it not fall of so easily ?

$15 buy an new drivers side arm from the dealer, the little flexible bits that hold it snugly on the ball have worn off, and it will never hold again, buy a new arm. :slight_smile:

this is common as the lubricant dries out and the plasitc cup begins to weardown, and eventually rubs off the clips the hold it onto the ball, then you hear the motor go, and the arms flopping around the the space as they’re no longer connected to anything, or you get only 1 wiper that works. whatever, it’s a $30 fix and it’ll take you 30 min to replace.

So I just need the drivers side arm?

The things that it connects to near the middle of the car is still fine ?

really $15 each side?? well i’ll look into that by removing that plastic peice… canaidna tire is being a jackass right now… i tell them to contact me on my cell only… i call them saying to order the parts whatever i had enough of it… then about 10 mins later my grandmother calls me from home saying canadian tire called me saying its important… im like wtf… i just got off the phone with them and it clearly states to always call my cell… mother fuckers im just going to tell them to screw off holy shit…

so its called an arm or motor arm or something like that…?? nothing wrong internaly with the motor?? i’ll look at it myself and turn on the wipers and see if anything is broken or whatever… also on my passenger side the wiper arm seems like it doesnt give enough pressure then when i remove the arm i can play and fiddle with that spinning bolt… the heck is wrong with that thing?

james is right, i had the same problem, its about 1-2hrs if u do it urself, the hardest part is sliding in the arms on the balls points cuz of lack of space to move hands

The clips don’t Just wear down causing the arms to fall. The wiper piviots go bad causing the clips on the arms to wear and left go. Check the piviots for play I’ll put $20 they got play in them.

Gee, if only there was a Technical section somewhere on SON.

Hmmm.

well i got one of the arms from the dealership that goes from the motor to another arm or whatever he was trying to tell me and he said most likly this is the piece that would be broken or out of place IF both wipers do not work but your motor is working… costed $20

so im going to check it out and see if something is out of place or if things need to be replaced… i wouldve got the other arm/rod but they did not have in stock and needed to be a special order

Ahh

I bought the new arm thing, costs like 22 bucks, replaced it… and it was still falling off, so I had to buy a whole new thing that the arms clip on to near the middle of the car, for like 52 bucks. And I coudlnt get the bolts off cause they’re rusted as hell, so hopefully I’ll get it off andput the new one on tomorrow and it will finally work.