wiring Q's: planning schematics and labelling.

I am looking to tackle the wiring on my car again and I wanted to make it easier to repair and troubleshoot if needed. I was wondering what programs people have used to draw up schematics and also if anyone knew how wires were labeled similar to in the following picture:

Id really like to rewire my entire car as well to cut out all of the useless shit I have that isnt in place anymore. In for responses to this…

Doing the labels is mad easy, you can use white shrink wrap and use a sharpie, or use a tie-on label. I’ve built and labled, oh, say, 12000 aviation wiring harness’ in my day, lol

Or use a label printer then clear heat shrink over it, or just get labels with everything printed on them, or print onto the heat shrink yourself. The ones in that picture are labels with clear over them.

so those are paper with clear shrink? no shit.

I think they are made of a plastic with adhesive backing. I know that’s what “Chasebays” aka Failboy uses anyway. Rywire might be using labelled heat shrink with another piece of clear over it. I believe that’s one of their harnesses.

It’s not worth it for someone here to purchase the required equipment to print on shrink wrap, trust me. Since most people on here are trying to label pre-existing, or already assembled harnesses, the only option is really a tie-on label

cool, I can do that. I still have a couple sheets of labels from my wedding invites.

The ones typically used in aviation have a slot on each corner, so you can hold them on with two small zip ties. I’m sure if you google around, you can find them.

Site’s like cableorganizer.com will print pieces of labeled heat shrink. I think they are pretty expensive though.

True, but in most cases, you’ll have to remove the plug/lug/whatever at the end of the harness to get the label on before you shink it.

true, not a big deal on Hondas though

Those printers are pretty expensive for just one dude in his garage but they are pretty sweet. This one isnt too bad if youre gonna use it enough: http://www.cabletieguys.com/dymo-label-writer/rhino-5000-heat-shrink-tubing-printer.htm
We use them at work all the time, make life a lot easier if youre wiring from scratch, cuz like Travis said, they need to go on before the terminals. You can get heat shrink that you can write on though.

As far as drawing it all out, we normally just use autocad but you can use anything really. Hell, I did most of my car with Paint. This is a cool program though: http://tinycad.sourceforge.net/

I’m going to be tackling a complete rewire on my car from scratch in the next week or two. I’ve used a few programs for drawing schematics but honestly, your going to want to draw diagrams. It will make it easier to troubleshoot and figure out your harness layout. I’ll probably draw all my diagrams by hand just to save time. Then draw them in a cad program after the car is running :lol

My work has a label maker that does heat shrink so I might print off all I need at work :lol

Buy yourself a 4x8 sheet of pegboard for the rewire Steve. Makes physical layout a breeze. Sticking a 6cyl OBD1 motor in a car and making it 4cyl OBD2 compliant, anything to make harness layout easier was my friend. Pegboard = win :slight_smile:

For harness identification, I prefer the labled yellow shrink tube method. Doesn’t work too well for pre-existing harnesses though.

Good advice on the wire board, I use them all the time, just 2nd nature I guess, forgot to even mention it.

Indeed. Was just a cheap way to stay clean and organized. Cut some 1/4" wood dowel into 2" lengths and you’re good to go. Hung it on the shop wall and was able to stand up and layout the entire harness. Can pin/zip tie it to the board so it stays put. Drill holes as necessary, etc.

Something I picked up from actually watching the guys rewire the P-38 at the scotia air museum shit-ton of years ago :slight_smile:

what makes ya think that swap was legal adam ? lolololol

You shush your mouth! :ninja I said compliant

lolololol dont worry man .im good