WNY-SCCA Novice School, May 22nd ECC-N

This is going to be a little bit different than our normal events.

• one “run what you brung” class, yes timing will be going to measure the students’ progress
  • no course work for students (or very little)
  • easy to read main course and a figure 8 in small lot
  • no “sea of cones”, if a cone isn’t relevant to driving the line then it doesn’t belong on course
  • not going to take up the whole day

Yes, this is the same day as the NYSpeed BBQ, and we are aiming to get students 10+ runs by 1:00 p.m. (more seat time than a normal auto-X)…

8:45 registration and vehicle tech open.

9:30 registration close/drivers meeting

9:45 novice course walk

10:00 first car off, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, providing the best newcomer experience, giving students a bunch of runs, without worrying about sending them to work and keeping them in the car as much as possible, not have them there for a full day.

1:00 free lunch for course workers and instructors

1:30 runs for course workers, instructors, paid fun runs for students

If you are not sure, come to the this Sunday, May 8th event and check it out.

Pre-registration will be limited to 40 drivers.

Cost is $30 members / $35 non.

We will need instructors and course workers for novice school, event was scheduled on the same weekend as the NJ Pro so we will be short handed.

Free lunch for all volunteers, and of course you’ll get some runs in too.

What qualifies an instructor: Are you a veteran, can you read the course, and explain it, are you consistent (not necessarily ultra competitive), are you confident in giving instruction, and most importantly are you brave enough to ride around with these kids these days.

What qualifies a worker: Can you chase cones, help with grid, helmets, do you want to miss out on instruction portion of the school?

We will rotate the workers so you will not be stuck out on course for 3 hours.

ECCN - Erie Community College, North Campus
Main Street and Wehrle Drive, Williamsville, NY
Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=42.961322,-78.722363&spn=0.015232,0.043945&z=15
Enter from Wehrle drive

If you are interested please pre-register. No advance money is required, but it will give us an idea of head count.

http://www.wny-scca.com/soloreg/login.php

Should I run in the RT class if I’m going to use street tires? My car is a stock Neon, except intake/exhaust.

We are just doing this to focus on driving, leaving all the confusing car classing behind. I know that it probably prompts you to put in a car class select “GS” for car class, and “Novice” for index class.

We’ll worry about specifics if it is a points event (technically you can only do a drop in air filter and not intake).

Ic. I ask because I went to register on the SCCA site and I wasn’t sure which class to select for my car.

If anyone else is confused on class don’t worry about it, just pick ‘novice’ for the index and pick whatever you want for class and we’ll get it squared away at the school. Plenty of space left! Come on out!

Can I just show up and help work the course??? I am itching to bring out the turbo miata for the first time

If I can drag myself out of bed early enough I’ll head out and do the same. I miss auto-x

BUMP! Get yourselves out there and learn something already! Perfect environment. Safe, legal, FREE instruction from veterans. Working course for barely any amount of time and maximum seat time for learning. Basically if you have ever had an inclination to auto-x at all, this is the event for you. And it’ll even wrap up in time for the NYSpeed BBQ. Sounds like an awesome day to auto-x then BBQ afterword and talk about how sweet you can drive now.

Definitely interested. I know my “carless” buddy would want to go. Does he have to pay, can he sit in on instruction, ride in the Z? Helmets required?

I’d classify as carless right now, so I ditto 1qikz’s questions

Spectating is free. We do not allow passengers other than instructors with novice drivers. He can ride along with an instructor driving (their own car).

You can also ask an instructor to drive your car and you will learn a lot from the “hey I didn’t know my car could do that”. IMO it is a great teaching tools after you know where to go on course. This is not required, and you have to ask the instructor. Then you can spend the rest of the day trying to figure out how to those extra seconds out of the car.

I wish my G20 would pass tech I’d let him drive that.

Helmets are required, we have loaner helmets, if you are bringing your own they must be Snell 2000 or newer (so M2000, SA2000 , 2005, 2010…).

If someone has a 4x100 car and doesn’t want to use their tires I have a couple sets of old performance all seasons that you can use, all mounted up and ready to go.

Just get there by the drivers meeting.

Cool, may see you there.

Went to the web link. As far as I can tell, think I’m pre-registered. Confused about car class. Chose STS.

Yeah, don’t worry about, I don’t want people to get hung up on car classing.

I want people to worry about the basics of driving a car fast in a controlled environment and having FUN.

FUCK. I want to do this, but my car will not be fixed until the following week. Somebody let me use their S2000? lol

they used to give out a free event voucher if you work the course… are you still doing it this year?

Here is a time capsule that goes back 8 years. I wish that it was higher quality but UB hosting was only 15mb when I first edited it… I probably have the raw files still on miniDV somewhere…

bring your winter beater

I think that was when we did the school on Saturday and event on Sunday, which counted as one sanctioned event. But we have to insure instructors and workers during the school so your “payment” is my tasty grilled wieners and what ever runs you can get in during the day (which base on pre-registration should be a crap load).

[QUOTE=fairgentleman Z;3226006]Here is a time capsule that goes back 8 years. I wish that it was higher quality but UB hosting was only 15mb when I first edited it… I probably have the raw files still on miniDV somewhere…

Awesome video quality! One step up from claymation! LOL.

I might head out. Didn’t make one event last year. This all depends if I need tires or not.