Won't roll backwards

When I put the car in neutral I can push it forward but not backwards. I can hear something binding (for lack of a better description) in the tranny, as if it’s in gear. Put the rear in the air to confirm and wheels will spin forward but not backwards. Any ideas?

take off d/s & try it!

Is that to figure out if it’s the tranny or the rear end?

yes

you sure you have the trans shift linkage hooked up right? might be in drive?

I had a similar problem with my car cause by the linkage not being fully clipped into the bracket that’s bolted to the tranny pan. I got it clipped all the way in and no more problems. Hope it’s an easy fix for you.

Disconnected DS - rear end is okay.

I had unbolted the shift linkage bracket from the pan, never took it off the bracket itself, then bolted it back in place, and back onto selector. Seems to be shifting okay, but maybe it’s off. When it’s in park the DS won’t turn at all. When in R, N, D, 3, 2, 1, I can turn the DS clockwise but never backwards.

e brake stuck:dunno: worth checking

Tried it with the shift cable disconnected from the lever. Shifted the tranny into neutral with the lever and the driveshaft still only spins forward. It should spin both directions, correct?

yes it should,strange thing u have happin!would u like me to stop down?

Wife’s on travel for 2 days so I’m tied up anyway - I’ll try to do some more digging and see where I get. If I don’t figure anything out then I just might bug you for some help on this one.

It’s like something’s locked up. Read through the factory service manual but damn, transmissions aren’t my thing!

ok,let me know!

Does reverse work with the engine running?

:rofl:

I’m going to mess with it a little more tonight with the rear in the air.

I put it through the gears while “running” and it didn’t feel like it was going into gear, but I’m not sure since the fluid may still be low, it’s a higher stall, and I was trying to stay on the gas so it wouldn’t stall. :doh:

:bigthumb: buy a mustang:bigthumb:

Check your fluid levels before starting the car… Start the engine and check it again, the fluid level should go down a bit, if not could be an issue with the pump or something related…

Did this just start after installing the new converter?

I still can’t explain being able to turn the D/S in neutral but not reverse… Almost sounds like a band isn’t disengaging…

Had the pump replaced since I was an idiot and wasn’t careful when I reinstalled the torque converter - messed up the pump. I’ll check the fluid again.

Talked to Bobby at Hodge Transmission. He found it odd too, thought maybe the clutch packs might be stuck or something got in there from the pump. Probably have to take the tranny back out.

Added a little bit of fluid and ran the car (my eyes… they burn! lol). Decided to put it in gear, and it moved forward a little - that worked in all the gears. So I tried reverse and it moved backwards. Shut it off, put her in neutral and it moves fine now! I think maybe the clutch packs were stuck and just needed broken loose. Don’t know, don’t care, as long as it works.

On to the bigger problems!