Working on my car rant.

:word:

Here’s my saga from today…

Starting with:

• I don’t have a place to keep two cars, so I have only a couple of ways to go about things: Option 1: Work on the car in my grandfather’s garage, which is 20 miles from where I live (and 40 miles from work), and entails loading up every tool I own in the car and dropping them off before I go pick up the car at my parents house (which is within walking distance of my grandfather’s, fortunately). Option 2: work on the car outside in my front parking lot, and deal with the audience of endless people going into the asian food store and wanting to know everything I’m doing. That and the ~4 yr old kid from that same store who doesn’t seem to have anyone his own age to play with and will just stay and bother me endlessly. Today I chose option 2.

• I only have one day a week when I can work on the car, because of my work hours. That day was today, and I put in about 10 hours, and oh yeah, I still have to do a little work tomorrow before I actually can drive the car.

• Today it seemed like everything was in the way of what I really wanted to work on, which was the front sway bar and mounts. Fortunately, the biggest problems were the A/C and power steering lines, but they aren’t there any more.

• Getting to the upper left bolt on the condenser was a real PITA, and it would have been quite easy if I could have figured out how to get the front bumper cover off. I gave up on that after an hour or so and went back to the ever-painful “hold arm above your head for 30 minutes because there is only enough room to get two clicks on the ratchet” routine.
    Anyway, what did I accomplish today?

• Cruise control removed

• A/C all removed except the part that is hidden inside the dashboard

• Power steering removed and brand-new manual steering rack installed

• Probably about 60 - 70lbs of weight reduction and a much less cluttered engine bay
    Did I forget to mention how much working on cars sucks?