Worth Fixing?

This will be my second 240. First one is in good shape, but nickle and dime add up and im tired of it. 300 000kms on old car. Fuck it. I dont know a whole lot about cars, but I have learnt alot from this one.

Pics can be found at http://s151.photobucket.com/albums/s156/gutter-shark/

Anyway, you guys think this car has a some potential? 128 000kms 89’ and auto. I don’t care, its ok for now. I drive an auto right now, and 5spd swap will come in time. I can get is for 600 bucks!

It needs a muffler, gas tank, windsheild and brakes. I have it all from my old car.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s156/gutter-shark/front.jpg

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s156/gutter-shark/inside.jpg

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s156/gutter-shark/driversside.jpg

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s156/gutter-shark/rear.jpg

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s156/gutter-shark/passengerside.jpg

The frames surprisingly arent that bad, one small hole and it seems likes its coming a bit un-attached from where it attaches in the front. Unno what its called.

Im not much of a welder but my dads been welding everyday for like 17 years. So he said he’ll help me with the frame. The frame is still grey, thats all I can say. Theres one little hole in the floor aswell. The underbody is decent.

The body is in rough shape though. For the work that has to be done on it, is it worth it or should I look elsewhere?

Can you swap rocker panels? The front fender is gonna come from my car as of now - so thats good.

So I figure I can fix it up. It pulls hard compared to my car for sure and my cars got stupid problems everywhere and will be used for parts.

Would you take it on as a summer project. I am in school and this seems to be a lot more reliable then mine for sure.

if the frames are ok and ur bonus ur dada could weld, i say u got a nice project to work on, do it its worth fixing up, u have the resources

ok wait a second here

whats wrong with ur current 240sx? some good things i noticed are

Mint engine bay
Cleanly patched frame rails
Nice body

Things that are bad

Patches need to be painted…sand blast them and or just sand them down and por 15 them and they will never rust again

swap out that old subframe and get it powder coated and/or boxed in if u want…put in an lsd while ur at it

Swap out the SOHC for a DOHC with a 5 spd…ur set…

cost of new car=600

cost of repairs on ur current car

subframe would prolly cost maybe 150 tops…i know a guy who can sandblast and paint it for 120ish

frame rails…60 bucks…some por 15 and sand paper

DOHC with 5spd transmission ECU and harness $300ish

5 spd swap parts not much…all u need is pedals, clutch master/slave, driveshaft and lines…id say $150 max

so lets say ur looking at 700 and change for everything u want if u do it urself

i would say ur way better of IMO with ur current car…its all easy fixes…300 000km’s is nothing when u can swap out a motor very easily…ka’s are a dime a dozen

well considering he has no pics of the underbody and engine bay of the 240 he’s looking at buying, i’ve come to the conclusion that you a) cant read or b) are pshycic

Instead of being an arrogant asshole like 90% of SON you could listen to your own advice and READ what rob SAID instead of just glancing at it and posting what you hoped would be a witty jab.

guttershark clearly states there is a HOLE in the frame rail of the NEW car.

“The frames surprisingly arent that bad, one small hole and it seems likes its coming a bit un-attached from where it attaches in the front. Unno what its called.

Rob looked at the link the guy posted with pics of his current (OLD) car:

After looking at those pics rob asks WHY he wants to replace the CURRENT (OLD) car and gave his reasons such as the current car already has a patched up frame and argued that if the guy doesn’t like it mechanically he can swap out the current engine for a lot less than buying a new ROTTED OUT car.

Dude man, just shut up. Please. I don’t mind you bashing someone else, but at least be right in the first place.

Max, I appreciate you posting that but I think we should just ignore boostaddict for now.

Please people, unless someone states something obviously wrong don’t be a negative nancy and post useless bullshit. And if they ARE wrong don’t post a thread bashing them, just say why they are wrong and back it up

He wanted people’s opinions not bullshit posturing and e-dick swinging. How many people have to say that this one issue is the biggest reason people say “SON sucks” before people get a clue?

my bad. im tired.

your original 240 looks fine, fix it. the new one looks junky

It isnt that easy guys, I cant just get my engine swapped, or my tranny swapped for low prices. I live in a small town and every place wants an arm and a leg to get things done.

I cant do it myself I dont have the place or tools to properly get it done. I dont know too many car enthusiasts to help me either. All this city has is a riced out honda civic hatch with JDM stickers on it and a fart can. Its disgracefull.

There are also not too many 240sx’s here. So the only way I can get a good engine and tranny is if I order it or get it off here its not too easy.

Getting the engine and tranny swap will cost me 700-1200 bucks here easily. They wanted 300 bucks to swap a gas tank. I want a white hatch anyway.

I figure I do the work on the white car, rials and rockers. Swap in my parts I need and get the rockers done, and get my window fixed.

The gold 240 needs new engine, alternator and tranny, new steering, it has a vacuum leak, has no heat. Needs a tie rod and an alignment. When you swap an engine will a vacuum leak go away? It has poor gas mileage (Prolly cause 300 000 km) Oh and I kinda dislike the colour and has a few other little problems.

ill say this as nice as i can…shut up

thanks max and mark

anyways

ur poor has mileage, no heat, vacuke leak etc will be changed with a newer engine

no heat is probably because u need a coolant flush, vacume leak has to do with the gnein its self and so does poor mileage

swapping out an engine isnt that hard…u need very little tools, just some sockets ranging from 10mm-18mm i think 18’s are the driveshaft…then all u need is a hoist and hoist the engine out…its probably one of the easier things to do on a car…

i can always give u a walkthrough on what to do if needed…i still think u should look at ur options with the current car…the floors look great on it too which is good

Where is “here” anyway? There may be someone near by that could help.

I live in Sudbury, I asked around here before if anyone lived here and I got no response.

Whats the big deal from SOHC to DOHC, other than 15 hp. Is it that big of a deal?

Anyone think I should still grab that car for 600 bucks for the interior engine and tranny?

i ran a partout on mine, sold a bunch of stuff, still have a mint hatch and 2 mint fenders and some other random bits and i made over 600 so its a win win really.

Are they white?

no red, but its 20 bucks for enough paint to make em white. the drivers side is brand new like it still has the factory stickers its awesome.

thanks anyway, but If I fix up the white car Ima use the panels from my champagne car. I want to hold off on a paint job as long as possible.

I personally think the SOHC to DOHC is better…more parts for a dohc…they’re everywhere…i didnt like the SOHC, mine was rebuilt and machined, a little faster than a normal SOHC

But when i drove my first DOHC is was way better. Higher revs, better and faster revs, i found…DOHC is worth IMO…it doesnt cost anything to go dohc…not much more than to just replace ur SOHC

its totally up to…what are u future goals for the car?
Turbo or na?
just for fun or looks?

its what u want out of it too. maybe u want an SR or an RB and u would be better off keeping ur current car saving up some cash and swapping in one of those

all in all its what ur goals are

i think for 600 bucks you should grab it. then you can decide whether you’d rather drop the new motor in your current car, or swap stuff off your current car on to the new one. i’d probably do the motor swap myself. either way, part out whatever’s left and you should be alright

yea i agree, think about it… you said parts arent easy too get in your area etc… so buy that car, and make one from the 2, you’d likely want the low km shell, fix it up, and maybe you can sell it for some profit, enough too get you too come down too toronto or wherever, and buy one of the several 5 spd dohc cars for cheap…i just hate the idea of parting out an easily saveable car… OR you said you were wanting too do a 5sp swap down the line, along with perhaps dohc… which is kindda dumb, because like rob or whoever it was said. you might as well just source the parts for a 5 spd and dohc swap, and do it while your car actually needs those parts… not worth swapping in parts too swap them out down the line…

Guys updated, have crappy pics of frame and engine bay. Top 4 pics are the 600 dollar car!