WTB: DSLR - D40 or similar

Hey guys,

i’m looking for an entry level DSLR or even a really high end point and shot…

obviously willing to trade parts towards it, but i have cash as well.

i would have liked to have picked up that D40 package for $275 that was listed here. I’ve been offered a D60 for $400 but i dont really know how to use the stuff anyways so i’d rather start smaller.

Bing, check out Henry’s. It is their 100th anniversary, good deals. I picked up a DLSR and after reading the book for a little while and just playing around with the settings I’ve got a pretty good hang of it and I knew almost nothing about exposure when I bought, just taught myself.

anything < d70 like the 60.40x or 40 have the same features and sensor type and controls.
If you’re getting a 60 with low actuations for 400 with the kits 18-55 (Vr or not) it’s not that bad.
Starting with the 60 is good, you’ll enjoy it and AF-S lenses that it needs to autofocus are coming down in price somewhats.

You can get a New D40 for around $400 I think. Honestly, A D40 will perform well for basic applications. It has tons of potential (Puts any Point and Shoot to shame) Its small, light weight, etc. Once you have the body, just worry about lenses. Glass > Body. Unless you have plans for specific types of shots though, the Kit lens (Either the 18-55 / 18-55 VR) Will do just fine. I would grab the body alone, and search craigslists for the 18-105mm VR. It’ll give you a longer range, and also slightly better quality shots than the kit lens.