WTB: Optima Battery

OK, So I called another couple places, and here we go:
Mopac Auto
Apparently they won’t have any for 3-4 weeks or so.
Red Top - $179.99

Interstate Batteries
Red Top - $258.95
Yellow Top - $299.95

FUCKING OUCH. I’ll keep looking around but man, that seems really pricey! :frowning:

I also rechecked Wal-Mart. They don’t carry the Yellow Top at all, and the Red Top is definately $204. Lowest prices my ass. Also looked at the Motomaster spiral battery, and they LOOK the same, but aren’t rated at the same Cold Cranking Amps, so they are inferior to the Optima and aren’t significantly cheaper. (660 CCA vs. Optima’s 800)

Wow… I should of baught 2 this summer. I hate how they raise prices when they are in demand

ouch yeah. . .i bought mine at wal-mart for $130 this past summer.

ya same, in the summer it was like 160 with all taxes and enviro fees. What a shame they dont sell them for that any more.

Wow…I called about 10 different places today, and the results were all the same.

The average price for a red top these days is between $204-$225.
The average price for a yellow top these days is between $255-$320.

Ouch. I wish Costco would bring them back at the price they had. I’m looking at the Exide Orbital now, which is about $180, but the neither the cold cranking amps nor the warranty is as good. I think I’m going to have to pony up the 200 bucks to Wal mart. :frowning:

That would be because part source and canadian tire are actually the same company. I would say cosco FTW. If it doesn’t fit… then go buy some welding cable and put it in the trunk :E

Yeah, except the fact that Costco doesn’t carry any of them at all anymore! :frowning:

batteries are a commodity? that sucks, i need one that can start my car below 0

NO, costco on the south side has the blue top marine battery for $179.00. was there on saturday and checked. Dont know if those are useful for a car.

You know what, if you compare the two on optimas website, there looks to be no difference between the red top and the blue top except the blue top is heavier, and having done a little reading online about the construction of marine batteries, it’s probably built with a bit more lead inside the case. We’re talking about a pound here, so no biggie!

The only other difference is that it has alternate posts, but still has SAE standard posts for cars. I’ll have to go take a look at it. :slight_smile:

Why would you be running a deep cycle batt?

I don’t need one, but if the marine version is deep cycle, I’ll take it. Originally I just wanted the Red Top, which is not deep cycle, but considering the price, I’ll take deep cycle if it’s offered! :slight_smile:

Umm…I mean it’ll add mad JDM horsepower to my bumpin’ stereo, yo! :smiley:

OPTIMA BlueTop Benefits
Starting and dual purpose (starting and deep cycling) models available.
Lasts up to 2 times longer than other batteries.
More power in the initial 1, 3, 5, and 10 seconds of the starting process than comparably rated conventional lead acid batteries.
Constant performance quality keeping your battery running at the same level even as it’s being discharged.
Ideal for seasonal use, fully charged, it can sit unused for up to 12 months at room temperature (or below) and still provide the power necessary to start your boat’s engine.
15 times more resistant to vibration than other batteries.
Nonspillable and can mount in almost any position.

OPTIMA YellowTop Benefits

Dual Purpose starting and deep cycling.
Constant performance quality keeping your battery running at the same level even as it’s being discharged.
More power in the initial 1, 3, 5, and 10 seconds of the starting process than comparably rated conventional lead acid batteries.
Ideal for seasonal use, fully charged, it can sit unused for up to 12 months at room temperature (or below) and still start a car.

OPTIMA RedTop Benefits

Ideal for seasonal use, fully charged, it can sit unused for up to 12 months at room temperature (or below) and still start a car.

So… whats the difference between the blue and yellow other than hey added boat?

Meh, Unless you some “OMGWTFBBQ” styled stero it looks like yellow and blue are over kill. Unless you plan to give a deisel motor a boost…

Heh, I wanna see someone mount theirs upside down… :drinkers:

The blue top is a tougher from a impact/vibration standpoint. For example when u r cutting wakes, or going through rough waters and the hull of the boat is constantly banging off the water. That would destroy a normal battery rather quickly. And the yellow top is better for stereos because of what optima says here: “Constant performance quality keeping your battery running at the same level even as it’s being discharged” Its sorta like a built in capacitor.

I also think the blue top one is about $80 less than a yellow. It probally has less cold-cranking amps too. And hey, isnt ure skyline blue Pyrexxx? LOL

Yeah, it is, but I need a battery to replace the crappy one in the Sentra. It isn’t dead, but it is weak. And I don’t care about the color - I don’t pop my hood fo less than a C-note biotch. Street racerz fo life! :E

Actually, the CCA rating on the marine battery is just the same as the others! Except for the other top posts, I’m really confused as to why the difference in price can be justified.

I’m gonna head over to Wal-Mart and get an Optima, I don’t care what the price is since my car barely cranks in the -30c weather with the block heater on. Which one do I need, the Red Top 34R? I don’t have a stereo, I just need something for this weather.