WTF, gas mileage?

I’ve been fucking around with different fuels + driving to see if I can get better gas mileage. This makes no fucking sense to me.

GetGo 87 octane, A/C on, racing around: 17.05mpg
GetGo 87 octane, A/C off, shifting low in the tach: 17.85mpg
Sunoco 94 octane, A/C on, beating the fuck out of it: 18.63mpg

???

is the one mpg worth the extra cost of the 94?

is this in the susucki? cause that sucks!

getgo gas is garbage… sunoco fuel doesn’t knock and runs more efficient… makes sense to me

I am a big fan of Sunoco gasoline.

I find that if I buy gasoline from one particular station (coincidentally, a Sunoco with no ethanol blending stickers on the pumps) it runs better in my vehicles than anything else I’ve put in…except for some Chevron stations that I hit running across I-40 in NM two years ago. Even in the mountains out there I was running 75/80 MPH all day and was pulling down close to 17 MPG where I was getting 14.5/15 MPG in flatter regions of Texas, OK and Missouri just hours earlier.

I’ve always thought that supporting Sunoco was a good idea anyway, becuase of their heavy involvement in racing and racing fuels :burnout:

Sunoco is good fuel. Typically I find it easier to get to a amoco/bp though and amoco seems like good gas, too.

why is he getting 17-18 in a suzuki, i would expect it to be in the 30’s

I’ve never had a problem in my car w/ getgo gas, and my car is extremely picky. If I don’t put BP or Sunoco gas in it, it acts up. ESPECIALLY with Sheetz gas. I was told the Sheetz gas has too much of something in it, and it can leave carbon deposits that will clog your EGR, and while I didn’t get much Sheetz gas, Joe Shmo’s gas station gas will do the same.

Cliff’s: Getgo works for me, along with BP and Sunoco.

mine runs the same with any gas, but i always use 93 or 94

i thought that was the reason to buy suzuki for gas mileage:down:

I get around 22 mpg in my cavalier… if I drive like a grandma, shift at 2K and go down hills in neutral, I can bump it up to almost 30mpg.

people’s MPG are always skewed… i think blayners is realistic…i also agree it’s a little low. cars don’t run 30mpg around town with a/c on at lights running to shopping centers and shit…

if you’re on the highway and fill up and do the milage, then i’d agree… i see 15 - 20mpg driving around town.

on a trip, i get 34-35. around town nice and easy, 28ish. and 23-25 abusing the piss out of it which 2weeks ago included 7 runs at the track.

our trafific in town is not like your traffic in town, that may make alitttle difference.

i increased my mpg by 2 on trips after doing synthetic motor and tranny fluid and intake and exhust.

gas cut with ethonal is bad. Ask anyone whom runs alky in their race car. They go threw almost twice the fuel as gasoline cars. It requires more alky for the same expansion as gas. There was a great program on gasoline just recently. I think it was on Modern Marvels. Based off of their research, all gasoline that gets to us is from the same source. The only difference is what additives the seller puts in.

As far as why you would have better economy with a higher octane fuel: When you drive on 87 and your car has to retard the shit out of the ignition you must depress the pedal further to achieve the same speeds. I’m pretty sure your computer will fatten the mixture a little for even more knock prevention.

Oh, and one thing that I found suprising was when I put a K&N on my dakota I increased the highway range on my dakota by almost 80 miles.

exactly…

after a knock or two you’ll see 3* timing pull to about 9* then it’ll go rich as fuck. plus people have been known to use shit gas, dump fuel from retarded timing and clogging their cat, which results in even worse gas milage.

in my mini van i get 20mpg around town loaded or unloaded!3400 v6

My car is rated at 22 city / 30 highway. 95% of my driving is stop-and-go delivery in Etna, Shaler, Millvale, Sharpsburg, Aspinwall, O’Hara, Fox Chapel, and Reserve. Lights and stop signs every few blocks, and hills all around me. So losing 4 or 5 mpg from the city rating is realistic.

Blame GM for my fuel economy… My motor is an old Vauxhall/Opel motor… I have about 130hp + 130ft-lb, so I don’t have to downshift to first to go uphill unlike my old Hondas… the tradeoff is shitty fuel economy.