WTH: AV & Desktop Engineer

This was just posted today. This is the same job I do but it takes 2 people. The current person in the job is transferring to our NYC location. We do video/audio conferences on a daily basis. We support 16 meeting rooms. 6 of the rooms are equipped with state of the art equipment utilizing Polycom and Crestron devices etc. If you know what those are, you got one foot in the door.

The other part of the job is that we take care of all hardware issues, manage a laptop loaner pool, config pcs, manage warranty issues and just keep the user pcs running. We are a DELL shop.

We also do home visits to the Attorney’s homes to help with their home systems as it pertains to using VPN to connect to the firm. You get OT for that as well as the standard mileage reimbursement.

There is also the opportunity to travel to our other offices although not very often.

We have offices in NYC, Albany, Johnstown and Boca.

If you have experience in those areas, you would be all set.

The other hurdle you have to face is you work directly with me. lol Share an office and all the tasks each day.

This is a professional environment but very laid back when it comes to the IT department. Dress code is business casual. 37.5 hour work week, 1 hour lunch, get paid for 40. Very rarely there is overtime. Medical coverage included. Optional 401K. We own the Guaranty building on Pearl Street. It was built in 1896 and is an awesome building to work in. The firm is at about 600 people. I believe about 250 attorneys and the rest staff.

If I actually know you, I will put in the good word for you. I know who a lot of you are but do not actually “know” you so keep that in mind if you expect a referral.

Any questions, just ask in this thread.

This is a great place to work if you like to get paid well, be treated fairly and have a good career.

The job posting And info is here http://www.hodgsonruss.com/Home/Careers/Staff_Positions/avdesktopengineer

AV & Desktop Engineer (Buffalo)

Job Summary: 

The incumbent in this position is responsible for the management of the audio visual equipment and the deployment and management of network workstations, laptop computers, and associated hardware devices within the firm. Also responsible for maintaining the automated process for installing workstation operating systems. Within the firm’s Information Technology department, this position serves as the Subject Matter Expert (SME) for a/v, desktop and laptop hardware devices and issues pertaining to workstation operating systems.
Nature and Scope:

This position reports directly to the Manager of Network Infrastructure within the Information Technology department.
Educational Requirements:

Associate’s Degree in Computer Science or IT related field.
Experience:

Minimum of three years of experience in supporting workstation hardware devices within a network environment. Knowledge of a range of desktop hardware devices, network hardware devices, workstations operating systems, and software applications. Ability to install, configure, and maintain network workstations, laptop computers, network connectivity devices, and related hardware and software. Knowledge of federal copyright laws as they pertain to the use of computer software. Knowledge of computer and/or network security systems, applications, procedures and techniques. Ability to identify and resolve computer system malfunctions and operational problems. Skilled in organizing resources and establishing priorities. Ability to communicate technical information to non-technical personnel. Ability to provide technical training to end users. Ability to learn and support new systems and applications. Strong interpersonal skills.

What exactly should you need to know, sounds like a regular IT job correct? I mean you would be there to support and somewhat teach a few things a person wouldn’t know correct?

Not really teaching. It’s hardware support and meeting/conference support.

The ad on our site does not stress the AV requirements. I will have them change that tomorrow as I have just seen it tonight.

We go into a meeting room early and set up mics, establish video calls, load presentations and make sure it all goes smooth and the attorneys know what to expect and how to use the equipment.

The other portion is taking care of PC repair and any hardware issues.

One more thing, lots of free food if there is a large meeting…

Would I get to boss you around?

Nope, other way around…

lately i have found there to be alot of IT positions available in this area.

stupid question…starting salary of?

I don’t deal with the salary end but I am sure it is decent…

im just here to say the louis sullivan guaranty building is one of the greatest examples of awesome architecture this fine city has to offer

and i wish i could work in it :frowning: i need to go back to school

If you ever want the tour, let me know.

omg sharing an office with Butch where do I apply!

That’ll be the day… lol

sent pm