xbox red ring!

just turned on my girlfriends xbox for the first time in a year and its got a red ring…so i researched a little and found some solutions.
1.send it into microsoft and have them fix it
it takes a min of 4 weeks and it may or may not be covered under microsoft…great
2.put towels around it and overheat it and hopeto re solder the chip to the board???

so i got it on the kitchen counter wrapped up like a newborn and im hoping to god it works…

anyone else have to do this?
did it work?

this has been covered pretty extensively on here.

It’s only a temp fix if it does work and it is soo bad for the xbox itself… if your inclined you can try

http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/repair/ring_of_light_x-clamp_fix.htm

I’ve had 2 work great and it only cost me $3 from lowes in parts. otherwise you can buy a new xbox, swap cases, and return it(they scan a barcode on the case now)

microsoft can probably fix it if it was bought in the last 3 years if im correct. if you want to fix it yourself, the towel trick wont work all the time. you can do the xclamp fix that will probably fix this. is it the 3-ring that it’s giving you??

edit: basically…what the guy above me said, lol

i just took the towels off and it didnt work…
i dont have a 3 ring tho, the whole thing is red.i was looking at the llama kit and it looks pretty confusing…i may have to hire someones services

the 4 red lights i believe are audio/video issues…let me do some research for you and see

edit: make sure the A/V cable is plugged into your xbox when you’re turning on your console. if you dont, it can give you the 4 rings when you may be having the 3 rings all along

Towel trick worked for me - the system only ran for a half hour though. I ended up sending it back to get repaired. No Problems thus far - but that was my second time sending it back. Hopefully no more F-Ups

I had 4 rings and my xbox is less than a month old.
problem was that the cables were loose in the back

ill give it another shot messing wiht the jacks…if i shake it around i hear a little rattle also…chip flyin around?

I have the same thing. donno what it is.

that rattle i believe is normal as mine does that too

thats kinda goofy…well ill post results in a min

no i got the 3 rings going on here…im just going to buy a new one…swat the number plates on the back and return it…

ok. yea so the xclamp fix would be needed to be done to fix this 3-ring problem

thanks guys

The rattle is a gravity relay thingy. basically it tells what lights to light up weather your xbox is flat or standing up on it’s side. it’s normal

I have an early gen. i want mine to red ring, so i can send it back and get one with an hdmi port (hopefully).

Walmart is the best for this. They never check anything. Bought a DOA wireless adapter on Ebay for $30 and swapped it at Walmart without an issue. Saved $70.

could always fix it yourself. its not that hard from the tutorials ive found.

It’s almost always under warranty unless you broke the seal even then most of the time it’s a non issue.

Call + send it in = refurb + more warranty