NOT the ring of death!

grrr just got the ring of death on my xbox! damn it!

Towel trick.

Don’t bother. The ring will be back in a week.

Send it out.

lol, just had mine in for service, my mb was too warped and they couldent fix it, had to buy another.

good luck

son of a bitch, such a pain in the ass! for some reason it won’t let me register it on the website? tired 4 times, also the phone number is messed up? or maybe i’m just an idiot lol

whats the towel trick?

i called it’s gotta go in, i was getting a dirty disk error more and more often (disks were scratch free) so i knew this was coming

[quote=“97eclipse420a,post:6,topic:39964"”]

whats the towel trick?

[/quote]

Since apparently the ring of death is caused by the motherboard warping and causing the GPU to separate from it some people have tried wrapping a towel around the box and letting it run with the red ring blinking for 10 minutes, then turning it off and back on. The idea is that forcing the box to overheat would melt the soldier on the GPU’s pins enough to reconnect it to the board. We tried this on my friend’s 360 when he got the ring of death and it actually did work for a little while, but it was only a temporary solution and ultimately he had to get it replaced by microsoft.

Now his new one has some problem with the optical drive and MS won’t warranty it, heh.

sent mine in, pretty good turn around, 2 weeks-ish

my cousin sent his in, been 4 weeks and counting

[quote=“Matt Danger,post:8,topic:39964"”]

Since apparently the ring of death is caused by the motherboard warping and causing the GPU to separate from it some people have tried wrapping a towel around the box and letting it run with the red ring blinking for 10 minutes, then turning it off and back on. The idea is that forcing the box to overheat would melt the soldier on the GPU’s pins enough to reconnect it to the board. We tried this on my friend’s 360 when he got the ring of death and it actually did work for a little while, but it was only a temporary solution and ultimately he had to get it replaced by microsoft.

Now his new one has some problem with the optical drive and MS won’t warranty it, heh.

[/quote]

It has nothing to do with re-soldering the connections. It doesn’t get THAT hot.

It has to do with getting it to go into “reboot” mode and resetting itself.

[quote=“Dlucas,post:11,topic:39964"”]

It has nothing to do with re-soldering the connections. It doesn’t get THAT hot.

It has to do with getting it to go into “reboot” mode and resetting itself.

[/quote]

wrong, it heats up the solder so it re flows the bad points that may have come loose. Also you should get rid of the x clamps and use nuts and bolts to put the heat sinks on, that way there is less flexing of the MB. A heat gun works well for re flowing also, the towel trick works but it must get super hot, then cool down without moving.

There a ton of articles on this and the heatgun trick, try them, some work some do not, first thing i would do is the 12v mod to the fans then replace those damn x clamps :slight_smile:

eh i’ll just send it in, only a few weeks or so w/o it, i’ll live for the mean time- they fix it for free so no worries. just a minor inconvience :slight_smile:

fyi they give you 3 months xbox live and a new 360 when you send it in.

[quote=“suppressive fire,post:14,topic:39964"”]

fyi they give you 3 months xbox live and a REFURBISHED 360 when you send it in.

[/quote]

fixed.

Screw xbox.

Actually they fix yours, friend just got his back, they returned his, no refurb or new unit.

[quote=“articzap,post:16,topic:39964"”]

Screw xbox.

[/quote]

go leghump in the sony forum. :slight_smile:

[quote=“BuickGN,post:12,topic:39964"”]

wrong, it heats up the solder so it re flows the bad points that may have come loose. Also you should get rid of the x clamps and use nuts and bolts to put the heat sinks on, that way there is less flexing of the MB. A heat gun works well for re flowing also, the towel trick works but it must get super hot, then cool down without moving.

There a ton of articles on this and the heatgun trick, try them, some work some do not, first thing i would do is the 12v mod to the fans then replace those damn x clamps :slight_smile:

[/quote]

Has anyone actually seen it reflow or have some sort of thing besides theory? I have a seriously hard time believing that a) it gets to that temp and b) it reflows properly. These chips will shut down internally before the reflow point.

I’m not calling anyone a liar or anything but I would love to find somewhere that factually shows reflow…because if it does that some shitty ass chip design by the GPU manufacturer.

I guess they cant use lead solder because this is a toy that kids use so they had to use solder with no lead and apparently it has a lower melting point or something. I had a link on this…

:edit:
here is one

you can google the rest.