Yamaha Rhino Owners

Anyone on here own a Rhino? I really have been looking into them. I was going to buy a 4wd quad as I am tired of racing quads, plus my little brother has a YFZ-450 if I want to ride one. I have a 98 Jeep right now that I like, but shit breaks all the time. So I figured why not get a 4wd quad for a change… well then I thought why not a Rhino? It seems like the perfect inbetween vehicle. I can hunt with it, mud bug in it, go ridding with my friends that have quads, use it in the snow, use it for work around the house, etc…

Just wondering if anyone on here owns one and how they like it before I go spend 10k on one… which is ridiculas I think.

my friends dad had a basically brand new Grizzley ('06, last year before they went 700?) and over the winter traded it in on a new Rhino. at first i thought it was a dumb idea, but after being in the Rhino for a few months, i do like it. they can pretty much do everything you mentioned (including race, have you seen the aftermarket for those thing lately? its insane). so i think they’d be cool to have. honestly though, if i had land where i could pull out of my garage and ride it most of the time, then i’d be all about it over a quad, but if it came to haulin it around to take places, then i’d pass. they are big/heavy and are kinda a pain to transport. thats my biggest complaint. well that and if you wreck it they are super heavy .

Yeah, I am kind of torn… I do have places to ride behind my house, but I cant lie, it is a little bit limited. So im sure I would end up having to buy a trailer, because I really do not see it fitting in the rear of my Denali, lol… its a lot of money. 2 of my friends just bought them and I have yet to see them or take a ride in one… so im going to try and check out one of them tonight. One bought a 450 instead of the 660 and said its still more than enough. I used to own a Raptor, so im partial to the 660. I found them online for $8499… thats a little more reasonable than the $10,500 that Millers Yamaha wants… but thats retial, so they might give a lil.

ya, id def say try to spend some time on one and see what you think. they have enough power for what they need to do. they seem to handle pretty good in the woods, but its alittle harder to manuever it around if you get caught in some deep mud or a crazy spot. obviously they arent as nimble as a quad either. i dunno, like you said, its a good cross between a quad and a 4x4 truck. its def a tough choice. i’d buy one to keep at my cabin or something, but if i didnt have that land/place to keep it, and was hauling it, the majority or the time it could become a bit of a hassle. but at the same time, im sure there are still decently small trailers out there that can haul them, but obviously not as small as a small quad trailer.

Yeah, im going to head up to Millers after work today to see what they have. A friend works there and just bought a Rhino 450, why he bought the 450 who knows, ill have to check it out. I was looking for a used one, but cant find any of then used for sale… guess that means people love em :dunno:

We have a Kawasaki Mule for more utility work then anything, but I love to drive that thing around, we got the four seater and the old man uses it for everything. A friend also has the Rhino, it’s far more sport oriendted, and can haul some major ass. Goodluck on the search.

if i were gonna get one, id get the yamaha sport model w/ alloy rims and better suspension. you can still do work with it, but itll be more fun when you are just playin around. ya used ones are kinda hard to come by. they are startin to really catch on and ppl are buyin them up and keepin them.

I never really looked at them upclose until yesterday and let me tell you, Yamaha is BANKING on those things… there is nothing there… they are simple as can be… I found them online for $8499 and I know Millers will not even think of matching that. I was thinking about the sport model, but for the difference in price I can almost buy Elka suspension… which will destroy the factory Yamaha suspension… and I could care less about the wheels. Either way… I just dont know if I can stomach the price. My brother has a 2000 Kodiak that I can get really, really, cheap, I might just go for that. I do have the flatbed to haul the Rhino, but its a PITA.

I wish I could rent one somewhere to try it out.

ya, the sport one is about 1G more than the standard 660 and right around the price of any of the special edition utility-based 660s…like 11g’s. if you get one, you might aswell just get a 660. id rather buy a Grizzley 700 for the money than a 450 Rhino. '00 Grizzley is def nice. god value for the money. im probly gonna blast one of those around after work today at my friends house. his is an 07, i think. wish my buddy with the Rhino was there, i could do a back-toback comparison for ya. haha

you should look into the polaris ranger rzr, they have gobs more power and are a nice size to trail ride. they are 50" wide where rhinos are almost 55" wide. the helmet height of a normal sized guy on a 4x4 is the same as the roof height in the rzr (i think thats how it goes, correct me if i’m wrong). many quad trails are skinny because the widest factory quad is only 48" so this might be something to think of. its also 100 pounds less weight and is 760cc, msrp is $10,300 also so its priced about the same … check it out http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-us/Ranger/RangerRZR/Features/

Yeah Tussy told me today about the rzr… he offered to sell me his Rhino at a pretty good price, esp for only having 20 hours on it. It dosent seem that you can do work with a rzr like you could with a Rhino. Also I would like to hunt with the Rhino… we will see… im going to take one out before I buy one thats for sure. I might try and get a hold of Tussy this weekend and take his out for a little while.

Which means I might be selling my 98 Wrangler that I use for wheeing only… anyone interested???

Tussy /

might be trading the jeep for a 05 yfz 450… keep ya guys posted!

sweet. too bad it wasnt an 06 (the redesigned year) but still a very solid reliable bike with tons of power.

Yeah, it has a cam and full fmf exhaust, so it should run… I can just get the hop up kit from yamaha that will fix most of the shit, I do know the 06 had like 80 some changes… but… this will do for sure!

i heard you might want to sell the danalli

thats plenty. lol. ive been running mine with just a Boyeson quickshot and its plenty of power. im sure your 05 rips.

Rhinos are awesome. So much torque and speed. They can go anywhere. I would recommend, they are 10 times funner than a 4 wheel car.

by all means, come pick her up!

Well just picked her up last night… I think I got a hell of a deal. Only thing wrong with it was the rear brake res was broken off, found a whole setup with new pads on ebay for $125.00. I took it out for a second when I got back last night and its pissed with those cams, a lot faster than my brothers 05 450 and one of my employees 06 LE 450. It has the infamous YFZ shitty bog when you hit the throttle really fast, I HATE that, I almost rolled one of my guys 06 LE 450 on a hill climb because of that exact thing. I heard a quickshot fixes that? If so how has yours worked for you? Here are some pics… oh my the way its a special edition one, not like that means anything, but its worth like $300 more on the KBB… not too bad since I only had 3k invested in my Jeep :owned: