Yet another GT-R fail!

Looks like the Big N found ways to make up for all those Tranny repairs:

http://cache-foo-02.gawkerassets.com/gawker/assets/images/12/2009/11/500x_nissan_gt-r_repair__3_.jpg

A UK driver took his Nissan GT-R head-first into a stopped-too-fast van’s tow hitch. It caused what you’d think would be fairly minor damage, until you count the pedestrian safety system going off. Total repair bill? An astonishing $18,355!

http://cache-foo-02.gawkerassets.com/gawker/assets/images/12/2009/11/500x_nissan_gt-r_repair__1_.jpg

http://cache-foo-04.gawkerassets.com/gawker/assets/images/12/2009/11/500x_nissan_gt-r_repair__2_.jpg

http://cache-foo.gawkerassets.com/gawker/assets/images/12/2009/11/500x_nissan_gt-r_repair.jpg

The GT-R tax is alive and well in parts as much as it is in fully-assembled vehicles in this tale of horror from the British Isles. The driver recounts a chain reaction accident were a car up ahead slammed on the brakes, the van in between did the same and despite the GT-R’s massive capabilities, the driver couldn’t stop quite quick enough and tapped the van’s tow hitch with the front bumper. The minor crack in the fascia was the only physical damage, but it was enough to set off the pedestrian safety system, which deployed two, one-time use rams which raised the hood to provide a cushioning gap for the pedestrian who wasn’t there. The repairs required new hood hinges, new hood rams, a new electronic controller for the pedestrian safety system, and of course replacing and paint-match the damaged bumper. The owner took the car in and came out with a whopper of a bill: £11,000, or in US currency, $18,355.

Two things. First, we’d have yanked those hood rams, welded the hinges back in place and called it good. Second, $18,355! Were the parts made of solid platinum? We knew the cost of ownership was a bit much from the $2,000 regular Nissan GT-R service cost, but this is ridiculous.

thats why the car weighs so much… pedestrian safety?? really. i thought it was a road legal race car. not many pedestrians on the race track

Not necessarily a “fail”. Nissan installed a safety device, and the owner had some bad luck.

Exactly, overseas I guess they need it on all new cars that dont have a certain distance between, the motor and the hood to allow of a “cushion” for pedestrians if hit. Nissan did a nice job of fucking their buyers here!

Dude…its a fail, dont swang on the nuts of teh Gtr lol.

Kinda like the GT500 KR with the $23k hood.

Fucking rediculous.

Do we really need pedestrian safety systems for dumb fucks who walk in front of cars?

At least the KR had substantial damage though! Fuck I could have punched the bumper and caused more damage than that!!

I’d still buy one, just mod the hell out of it and ditch all that crap.

THIS. Fuck pedestrians.

Yeah, but a hood for a normal car is less than $1k, usually less than $500.

Yeah thats cool if your rich and shit :lmao

im sure ferraris and lambos and other supercars have the same repair costs, this just happens to have a hamburger on the grill and everyone flips because shit is expensive :lol

an expensive car is expensive to fix, blasphamey.

How much do these things cost anyway?

high 80’s if im not mistaken

inbefore ignorant, retarded PJB rant on how a nissan should never cost that much and how any car more expensive than a C6 Z06 is stupid.

judging by the cars surroundings i highly doubt the owner gives two shits how much it is going to cost his insurance company to fix his gt-r.

the whole KR scam is way worse than this. they wont even let you keep the parts you payed for lol how the fuck does that work. rough life for this guy with the lake and mountain view.

Dumb car, dumb system, etc…

like none of you would still rock the shit out of this car if given the opportunity

+1

While I agree it seems like some things costs are fuckin insane as elliot said

an expensive car is expensive to fix, blasphamey.

The car is fucking packed with technology and sesnors, even the GTR aside a lot of cars are going in this direction and we will continue to see even every day cars be a bit on the exspensive side to repair with all this new bullshit their packing into them.

Im still baffled as to why the GTR is getting all the NEG rep for shit like its the only car with ridiculous prices for repairs.

GTR Driver was an idiot anyways, was deff following to closely if he dident have time to see the van slam their brakes and brake accordingly.

Insurance?