Yet another "run away" idiot.

Cop stops runaway SUV seconds before disaster

A Sam Houston State University police officer was about to get off work when he heard the dispatcher announce a man in a Ford Excursion was unable to stop his car and heading right towards downtown Huntsville, Texas. What he did next probably saved the man’s life.

Gaitlin Jeter was rolling towards downtown Huntsville with his cruise control set to 60 mph when he realized it wouldn’t turn off. Attempts to shift it into neutral or brake were unsuccessful, so he called 911 for help.

Because 60 mph is like 35 mph in Texas, it’s not uncommon for streets leading into town centers to feature high speed limits prior to the main business district.

Rocky Carrell, an SHSU patrol officer, heard the call and chased down the runaway SUV. As you can see in this video, Carrell managed to get his police Tahoe in front of the Ford just moments before it crashed into the back of a truck or blitzed through downtown.

When it was over Jeter got out of his truck and hugged Carrell.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/28747312/detail.html

You’ve got to be kidding me.

On free beer and hot wings they had idiot “mechanics” calling in and saying it’s possible. :banghead

As you can see in the video the guys is not even on the brakes, just hazards on.

There are NO excuses for not turning off your engine or just stopping with the brakes, none. The guy is a moron. After the Toyota scandal it’s been tested over and over again that the regular brakes can over power the engine every time.

He had enough time to call police and describe the situation yet he should have been accelerating out of control without any way to stop? I’m sure the car should have been at 90mph+ by the time he connected to the operator and damn likely crashed.

I give up.

Well he did say he had cruise control set to 60mph, and that was stuck so he would probably just maintain that speed IF what he says is true and the A. Engine wouldn’t turn off B. Brakes didn’t work C. E-brake didn’t work D. Gear shift lever “wouldn’t budge”

Yea…I’m with you though, find it hard to believe.

How the hell would the engine not turn off?

Correct me if I’m wrong but it’s not a push button car so it should be rather routine how to turn off an engine. You do it on average at least twice a day. :Idiots

Only four more vehicle system failures required to make this story believable. It’s such bullshit that because of one idiot blaming his Prius or Camry “ran away” with him driving, people are actually using that excuse for their lack of driving skill and intelligence. If I was the cop, I would’ve just gotten in front of him with the lights on and led him to a lack so the guy can drown.

People are so retarded.

Is that a fact?

You get to a destination and you get back, shut it off each time.

I could see the average being even higher.

This guy deserved to hit something and end himself.

As it was mentioned before, if the car was really stuck in cruise, wouldn’t it keep going or attempting to spin the tires/push the cop car out of the way after it stopped? Unless he turned of the key or somehow put it in park once they got stopped?

yeah, when i was reading this article, i just couldn’t understand how this would be possible…its Cruise Control, not Auto Pilot lmao

I couldnt find the damn number for Free Beer n HotWings this am, I wanted to call so bad.

What do DUMB people do when they either A: look dumb, or B: don’t want to get in trouble… THEY LIE

This guy is either a lair or a giant over reacting pussy.

Like cossey said, there are SO MANY SEPARATE systems he said failed is just improbable:

Its a drive by cable cruise… 2 cables attached to the TB, sure the cruise control motor COULD fail and stick the TB open or the wire could be frayed and jamb up. FINE.

The ignition cylinder is a COMPLETELY different system and mechanical device. If it doesnt turn when you are panic mode, once the thing was stopped logic would tell me that it doesnt work then, and wont work any more.

The is a disable switch on the brake, clutch (if standard) neutral gate on auto shifter, nutral gates on a standard shift box… IF the cable stuck fine, if the controller broke fine… but I highly doubt they really did.

EVERY automatic trans, shift box has NOTHING stopping it from going into neutral from drive with a simple bump of the shifter. ONLY thing i can think of are rouge objects physically stopping the movement of the shifter.

That truck is a normal vac boosted brake system, MAYBE the abs would not allow you to powerbrake it at 60mph for miles at a time, MAYBE but I highly doubt it, and it sure as shit wont deactivate all 4 calipers. stand on them until the pads blow off it… slow it to about 20 and steer into a guard rail to come to a stop…

annnnd once it stopped, if all the above was TRUE, wouldnt it be doing a MASSIVE BURNOUT when he jumped out???

Finally, I am sure Ford has the truck and will dig into it… and probably find NOTHING.

Magic 8 ball, is this guy a retard making up bullshit??? My sources say yes.

Motherfucker should get a ticket for using a hand held device to call the police which distracted him from the task at hand of ACTUALLY STOPPING THE CAR :banghead

Makes me wonder: I want to find the DA for that town and request him getting a ticket for endangering the public and causing town property damage because of him being distracted on a cellphone from doing mundane logical actions.

he’s got a nice brand new truck now tho!

Gatlin Jeter unfortunately he doesn’t have a facebook… I would friend him just to disprove him.

Idiot cops and New people… Once the car was stopped, I would jump right in that shit, try to put it in nutral, park, drive reverse, try the ignition, the brakes, etc… tell me this also…

HOW DID THEY PUT IT ON THE WRECKER IF NONE OF THE SHIT WAS WORKING??? Disconnect the battery??? NO it will still run off the alternator. Cut that cable??? ouch! Maybe they pinched the fuel line!!! lol Get the fuck outa here. All the SIMPLE shit one could do on the side of the road, could easily prove or disprove this guy in minutes. Instead its a half sided story from a nerdy boob who clearly doesnt know cars, yet figured he could fool everyone!

FUCKER SHOULD HAVE A FIST FULL OF TICKETS, innocent until proven guilty. Ford will take the car, if they say yeah shits all broke, then fine not guilty. If not, FISTED, pay up sucker.

EXACTLY, nows my chance. I need a new truck, my ranger has all the same systems that bitch has that FAILED… I am going to drive straight off a turn into a tree and say my cruise stuck too just like that guy!

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b28/skierdood/images-3-1.jpg

I personally want this guy fined for having his stupidity endanger lives and cost tax payers dollars.

HOW IS THIS ANY DIFFERENT than “reckless driving” that is exhibited by a guy doing a wheelie or somebody going much faster than a speed limit?

Because the guy claims he didn’t do it?

Fuck with that logic, next time I get a cop behind me while I was speeding, I won’t stop, call 911 instead and have him crash into me and destroy my car.

I’ll get a new car from the cops destroying mine, and won’t get a ticket for breaking two laws - speeding and talking on the phone. Apparently proof isn’t needed.

I’m bout to sue the guy as a damn tax payer, too bad I don’t think federal money was involved in this matter.

You are right, I think the I couldnt stop I wanted to but the car wouldnt! Is better than the last excuse for speeding “why were you going so fast?” Me… “I just shifted into 3rd” LOL FACE!

thats actually a good point.

You get a ticket, innocent until proven guilty.

Sir, my pedal was stuck and I couldnt slow down, then FINALLY after kicking it and hitting the brakes a bunch of times it finally slowed down and I pulled over.

Get the ticket, and go to court.

By the books the court has to PROVE I am full of shit. Which they cant, becasue now magically its not doing what I said it does to reproduce it, and they sure as hell cant prove what I did or didn’t do in my own car, its not like I have security cameras someone else riding with me that will testify against me. so how can they PROVE anything?

NOT GUILTY BITCHES!

Next time someone gets nabbed for doing highway pulls, be sure to use this guys bullshit excuse.

Mother fucker wasn’t even hitting the brakes.

I can’t fathom why this is a story about a heroic cop and a run away car instead of being what it really is, cops having to destroy a city car to stop an idiot from hitting innocent bystanders.

The car is at fault here?

Fuck, a bike is at fault for front wheel coming up under acceleration and a Zr1 is at fault for going around a turn sideways.

I am at fault for being fucking awesome…

you get used to it, sometimes its a hassle but one I can live with.