You just cant tell some people lol...

What are you saying here? A car is more difficult to operate and requires more coordination than a bike? Otherwise i fail to see why this is a bad comparison.

Go ahead. Is any car a fine choice for a new driver with no experience as long as he takes it “easy”.

I’m not even getting into this shit right now. Comparing learning how to ride a bike versus a car is just plain retarded. Like stupid fuck territory.

Maybee it’s just me because I’ve been riding dirtbikes and shit since I was a kid.

Ilya don’t buy a 250, go ride some dirtbikes first. Then buy the r6 you really want.

You are right, it’s almost as retarded as telling people to learn to ride on race bikes :rofl

End of day vlad your on two wheels with nothing around you. Not same as a car.

But learning to control a beast on wheels (be it 2 or 4) is EXACTLY the same. That’s why you should start with the lesser beast (a 250 or a Prius) instead of jumping right on a serious monster (a legit crotch rocket or say…a ZR1 Corvette).

To quote that NFL TV show on Sunday’s…“Come on, mannnn.”

so riding dirtbikes prepares someone better for riding a street bike than riding a 250? that doesn’t make sense

I would say so if a person has never ridden anything in his life or shifted a gear. Last time I checked falling on a lawn is a lot less forgiving than pavement.

Looksexxy2000 taught his wife how to ride the other day on a cbr1000.

Feel like I’m talking to a bunch of men in women’s clothing.

I can see both sides of the story. And I wasn’t comparing riding a lil’ 80 in the yard, to riding on the street. Street and dirt are way different. I rode for years doing rather dumb shit on the street, then had a CR250 scare the shit out of me on dirt. I more meant that riding and getting used to something that can teach the basics and yes, if you fall, you are at least on grass at rather a slow speed. I have a hard time with this debate, I side more with Sbardy becuase he said what I was thinking. However, it’s my opinion. I realize not everyone has the same setup. I grew up in the country and had ridden some small wheelers from time to time when I was young. I didn’t hop on a bike for the first time and feel I was an expert. However, I felt comfortable with the bike and felt like I was in an ok position to get from point A to point B, carefully. It was also that I had the want to ride for many years, I just had a confidence to go out and do it.

If you are say 20’s and this is the first time you’ve ever been on a motorized vehicle. Well, I can’t argue that a 250 street bike would be easier to handle based on weight and initial power. My opinion is skewed based on my experience.

Ugh, but still, the 250 will get old quick. Fun as shit around town, but I don’t exactly feel the safest on the highway. Mine will roll 70, but that is about it. Not much passing power at even 55-60. If you take to riding quickly, I would say you’ll ride the 250 for one season and you’ll be wanting that R6. Not for nothing, but riding possition has a lot to do with confidence on a bike as well. I ride my upright seating postion 250, then get on the crotch rocket 1000 and it does throw you. You’ll have an initial learning curve just learning to lean differently and handle it. However, you’ll also have learned the basics from the 250, so it won’t be scary, just different.

Do what feels right to you. Take everyones opinion for what it is…an opinion.

P.S. If you are just a toolbag trying to be cool and have zero talent and go buy a Crotchrocket. You are in for the scare of your life. And it’ll probably be the last bike you own. I’ve seen it a few times. Not that anyone died. But they all crashed it somewhere during the first season of riding. Got rashed up because apparently a t-shirt, shorts, and flipflops don’t make great riding gear. It’s just an expensive lesson to learn. Good luck.

lol this thread blew up, this is my first season… I started on a 100cc Dirtbike in january rode that for 2 months, sold it for $100 profit, bought my honda rebel 250 in febuary, would i like bigger, sure, do i need bigger no, it goes 80mph which is way more than i need to go lol, i keep up at speed limit of 55-65 easy, so I am gonna outgrow the speedlimit? lol… IDC if someone bashes 250s im getting the same wind as you are at the speed limits, cause i really dont care about driving over 65 lol, and im naturally small, tall but skinny so it pulls my weight fine… I LOVE MY REBEL 250 lol, just debating what mods Im gonna do, thinking corbin seat and red LEDS…

oh and for the passenger arguement my dad used my bike to bring my mom out for a ride since his dont have a back seat, he was going 60 with my mom on the back with no bottoming out or lack in power lol, just dont haul fat bitches

Last time I hit grass it was a HELL of a lot more forgiving than pavement, especially on my leathers.:rofl

Here is how I look at it now, because basically it’s pointless talking to most riders in this area. Who will never see a race track and could care less about learning how to ride. Because they were born to do it & obviously already know how.:dunno

Going fast on the street means you are slow on the track! (true)
You think your fast because you can out run damn near anything on the street.(False)
You think your fast because your bike is fast. (False)
you have ridden a 600, 750, 1000 ect for years.
(This does not make you a good rider.)
Because you will never come CLOSE to the limit of your bike on street.
you know how to turn a bike
(This does not mean you know where the perfect line is, entry point, Apex & exit)

250’s are a waste! (False) Every world champion rider or expert was on a 250 at one point. Put you up against Marc Marquez on his 250 on any track he would destroy you on a “Girls bike.”

For the record it doesn’t have to be a 250 just anything other than a modern race machine. Plenty of other choices that are more street usable and more forgiving while having plenty of power.

Ninja500
Sv650/ninja650 - both are faster to 40mph than 600’s will still go 140mph, cheaper to insure, blast to ride, more comfortable and make better street bikes
Cbr600 F4/F4i - plenty of power but much more street friendly, comfortable and forgiving.
Yzf600 non r6 - same as above
Late 90’s 600’s - still plenty of power but still better choices than modern SS bikes

And plenty more.

All of the above are better street bikes and more beginner friendly, while having plenty of power to keep you entertained.

Modern SuperSports while thrilling to ride are stupid steet bikes whether you like it or not.

You don’t see Harleys on the track, but it’s just as silly as a SuperSport to commute on the street. That’s why most sport riders only do small local rides and put only 3000 miles a year on their bikes.

But yeah man, cars are a totally more different beast to learn on when compared to a 10 second rocket that can fall over and kill you for one mistake.

True

Personally I have been a street motorcyclist for over 40 years and have always found it is best to listen to others that know more than I do and learn from them. Something you should consider.
A smaller bike is forgiving and flickable in the turns making learning the streets easier for most new riders. They are less expense to operate and if it gets dropped less expensive to replace parts on.

I am not trying to continue or to reignite an argument here but for someone with a “max” of maybe 5 seasons of experience (That’s if you bought your first bike new.) that makes you a new rider in the realm of things.

I am only posting a response because I would not want a new rider to read what you have written and think that you know what you are talking about because in my opinion you are clueless and giving bad advise.

To the moderator of this section: if this post is out of line I will understand if you choose to delete it

I see 80 year olds driving ever day with over 60 yrs experience… Does that Mean anything to you?

I’m not claiming im a professional by any means.

Ill tell you one thing though… If I was your age, I wouldn’t be on shift518. You might break a hip just looking at some of the arguments And ballbusting going on here.

So starting on a 250 is bad because its on pavement, but starting on a 600+ is ok because…?

You’re not making any sense

It was in response to Ilya, that has never been on anything with 2 wheels. Was stating get used to the clutch and shifting on a dirt bike first. Was just a opinion. I could give two fucks what anyone starts off on.

How many people started on a 250 on here or own one?

In total defence of Sbardy, I rode for ~12 years on dirtbikes and it gave me the essential skills to go out on the road. /story
I feel like the biggest mistake that our dumbass state is making right now, is to let 100% noobs ride a bike for ~4-5 hours and hand out their license. :banghead
600’s are perfectly fine for a novice, last time I checked, even very experienced riders die on the road too…

Driving drunk is perfectly fine, last I checked even sober people got into accidents and die.

:banghead :facepalm

YOU’RE SO IMPOSSIBLE, LMFAO.

You are a pussy for not starting on a 1K gixxer FIY.