Your driving record as Insurance companies see it.

I’m helping my girlfriend get quotes for insurance for the Tiburon she wants to buy and she wants to get off her parent’s and get her own insurance. She had an accident a while back when she had her permit and was issued a ticket. She doesn’t remember the exact details on it because it was years ago.

If she gets an abstract from the DMV, will that be the same information that insurance companies pull up?

Here is a link to the DMV site with info on it.
http://nysdmv.com/abstract.htm#HOWTO

I got an abstract (and mind you I’ve had around 10 tickets) and it showed absolutely nothing. The guy at the dmv I talked to said it shows only the last 2 or 3 years something like that.

There is a form you have to fill out (can’t remember the number) that you can’t do through an online transaction. You can print the form off their website and you have to mail it in with a check. It’s something like form 15-D or something like that.

the DMV abstract is 36 months and insurance typically only go back 36 months. it’s $10 cash @ the DMV for an abstract and they’ll print it right off for you. the only thing that’s past 36 months on my abstract is when i surrendered my NY LIC to texas for a texas Lic when i was living there for a while but that was almost 10 years ago and it’s still on there. and my no seatbelt (5 over on the 219 :picard:) from a year and a half or so ago.

They also look at things like credit history, the type of car, and age bracket.

Credit History, Type of Car, Living situation, age bracket, and 36-40 months of driving history (except DWU/DUIs) are the primary things they look at for ins.

also, insurance companies have their own systems that track motorists, it’s fed by the DMV system, but keeps things on file for longer so you won’t get an apples for apples compared to the DMV abstract. Honestly I don’t know why you are bothering, just get quotes and they are what they are.

I have things on my abstract from 3-4 years ago that still show points. I don’t get it.

It depends on the violation.

I got my abstract a few years ago and it was 4 or 5 pages… Thankfully I have been more behaved and my insurance is real cheap now. I bet that it is completely cleared up.

I think mine was 7 at it’s peak. I think it’s down to two now, but I don’t do anything on the street anymore and daily a truck.

I have 0 points on my license…thats all I know :gotme:

Credit history and the area where the car is parked are two very big things.

When I lived in West Seneca in a nicer part of 14224, my insurance was the cheapest. It went up a little bit when I moved to Lockport, then it went up a little more when I moved to West Seneca with a Buffalo ZIP code 14210.

2 door versus 4 door seems to be a difference also. My girlfriend noticed a large jump going to a 2 door econobox from her 4 door econobox.

I would assume they are rating each car based on what kind of claims they paid for that model car also. That would explain why her bitchmobile pontiac sunfire is expensive to insure.

Then you get to factor in the discounts. Anti lock brakes, daytime running lamps, anti theft device, driving school, multi policy are all discounts that take a chunk out of the payment.

I just renewed my 6 month policy for $266 with geico on a saturn ion full coverage.