1990+ Evap canister fuel smell, other issues

(Formerly UZTV on the 780tuners forum)

This is mainly for the Z32 owners out there that may have had the same issue. I started getting a bad fuel smell while my Z was warming up. No fuel leaks that I can find.

I recently took the car into Brasso Nissan (“J” You’ll be happy to note I finally joined the Calgary Z Club) to have the mastercyl replaced and asked them to check out a noisey fuel pump. They said nothing could be found but since getting the car back I have had extreme pressure build-ups in my fuel tank and now I have a sputtering, gurgling lean running engine. I ordered a new pump (ouch$) and am going to replace the filter and look more closely at the regulator and dampener for any “pluggage”.

Back to what my original question was going to be, has anyone ever removed/bypassed the evap canister as outlined on TwinTurbo.net? Any other ideas on the massive pressure build up in my tank? By massive I mean when I got home from Brasso after picking up my Z I could hear a whistlin’ noise, I couldn’t for the life of me figure out where it was coming from until I unscrewed the gas cap and it almost flew out of my hand on the last thread. It purged the pressure for almost 30-45seconds, I have been used to getting the little pressure release when refueling but its more of a pooooooooooosh…done, but nothing like this.

…Dan

I"m not sure exactly how the fuel system is setup, but could it have anything to do with the return line from the motor?

before i bought mine i had a fuel smell in the engine compartment, so the guy before me had the whole fuel line replaced, and it’s gone now, but i still get a little back pressure when i take the cap off, only when the fuel is really really low

Is the car running fine? does it feel like the gas could be getting clogged, or not enough is getting to the engine?

No its running lean (According to my gauge) and strugling to idle smooth. I could notice a difference right away when I started it up, the exhaust sound was different.

I picked up a new filter on the way home. I figured I would change that while I was re-checking all my lines, dampner and regulator tonight. I also ordered a new Fuel pump, but won’t have it until Monday.

Damn Just in time for the nice weather!! This sh#t keeps cutting into my upgrade budget…

…Dan

make sure your fuel pump is pumping the required amount of fuel to the engine, and check to make sure that all your lines aren’t clogged, or anything that would be restricting the fuel from getting to the engine :smiley:

Hey Dan!! Welcome to NECC!

Glad to hear you finally signed up with those guys down there. They’re a great bunch, and some very enthusiastic Z32 owners among them.

You may want to post your fuel pressure problem in the Technical Forum on Twinturbo.net. I’ve never experienced that problem, but I’m not sure why you think the evaporative charcoal cannister has anything to do with it. Have you read that somewhere?

As far as removing it, I always thought the only reason people have done that is to free up a bit of airflow behind the driver-side intercooler. But if you ask me, the coolant resourvoir is much more of a problem back there (WRT to airflow) than the cannister.

I seems there have been a few on TT Net but there is not an official FAQ or tech articles. After finding a slightly wet gas line on my fuel rail tonight I did a little more poking around and found a cylinder not firing.

I have more troubleshooting to do, hopefully its an electrical problem and not valves or head issues. I ran out of time tonight to look at it further.

…Dan

don’t know if I’m way off… but one cycliner not firing could be a coil pack right? The fuel problem… are u tt or NA? maybe try a higher grade fuel?

I thought that to be a possibility so I swsapped packs around with another and the spark plug also but the problem stayed with Cyl#5. Its down to an injector or mechanical problem, head, valve etc… One positive sign on that note is that there is no sign of smoke.

Oh ya its a TT, I never run lower than 92octane and usually go down to the one station in Calgary that sells 94.

…Dan

Dead Injector in cyl#5… bummer but new NISMO 555’s on order from Z1 with everything, gasket and O-rings $950USD, plus another $200 for an ASHSpec eprom. I wanted the Zemulator but couldn’t ring any more money out of my credit card! I will have 2 other EPROMS for sale ones a clone of a JWT and the other is the one I am currently running from SGP Racing.

I also had them swap out the fuel pump while it was at the shop, I don’t think it had totally failed but it sure was making some crazy noises once and a while.

…Dan

Lucky bugger!! Guess we’ll be seein’ some ~ 17 PSI runs from you for sure this year!!

Hopefully, I sure would like to get a new intercooler before getting up to those boost levels. That was next on my list until this. Do you have an aftermarket drive shaft and flywheel (light Weight )?

…Dan

Nope. At least, not yet. :frowning:

I suppose the driveshaft could be done anytime, but I ain’t doing the flywheel until either: a) next clutch replacement, b) engine’s coming out anyway. So the flywheel is one upgrade I’ll have to live without for now.

try and get ur hands on a one piece driveshaft. I hear u’ll get more power to the wheels

(Formerly UZTV on the 780tuners forum)

This is mainly for the Z32 owners out there that may have had the same issue. I started getting a bad fuel smell while my Z was warming up. No fuel leaks that I can find.

I recently took the car into Brasso Nissan (“J” You’ll be happy to note I finally joined the Calgary Z Club) to have the mastercyl replaced and asked them to check out a noisey fuel pump. They said nothing could be found but since getting the car back I have had extreme pressure build-ups in my fuel tank and now I have a sputtering, gurgling lean running engine. I ordered a new pump (ouch$) and am going to replace the filter and look more closely at the regulator and dampener for any “pluggage”.

Back to what my original question was going to be, has anyone ever removed/bypassed the evap canister as outlined on TwinTurbo.net? Any other ideas on the massive pressure build up in my tank? By massive I mean when I got home from Brasso after picking up my Z I could hear a whistlin’ noise, I couldn’t for the life of me figure out where it was coming from until I unscrewed the gas cap and it almost flew out of my hand on the last thread. It purged the pressure for almost 30-45seconds, I have been used to getting the little pressure release when refueling but its more of a pooooooooooosh…done, but nothing like this.

…Dan

I"m not sure exactly how the fuel system is setup, but could it have anything to do with the return line from the motor?

before i bought mine i had a fuel smell in the engine compartment, so the guy before me had the whole fuel line replaced, and it’s gone now, but i still get a little back pressure when i take the cap off, only when the fuel is really really low

Is the car running fine? does it feel like the gas could be getting clogged, or not enough is getting to the engine?

No its running lean (According to my gauge) and strugling to idle smooth. I could notice a difference right away when I started it up, the exhaust sound was different.

I picked up a new filter on the way home. I figured I would change that while I was re-checking all my lines, dampner and regulator tonight. I also ordered a new Fuel pump, but won’t have it until Monday.

Damn Just in time for the nice weather!! This sh#t keeps cutting into my upgrade budget…

…Dan

make sure your fuel pump is pumping the required amount of fuel to the engine, and check to make sure that all your lines aren’t clogged, or anything that would be restricting the fuel from getting to the engine :smiley:

Hey Dan!! Welcome to NECC!

Glad to hear you finally signed up with those guys down there. They’re a great bunch, and some very enthusiastic Z32 owners among them.

You may want to post your fuel pressure problem in the Technical Forum on Twinturbo.net. I’ve never experienced that problem, but I’m not sure why you think the evaporative charcoal cannister has anything to do with it. Have you read that somewhere?

As far as removing it, I always thought the only reason people have done that is to free up a bit of airflow behind the driver-side intercooler. But if you ask me, the coolant resourvoir is much more of a problem back there (WRT to airflow) than the cannister.