2002 Civic VTEC swap question

First motor was a D17A1, had head problems, head was replaced. Problem returned. Motor had 200k+ on it so my buddy decided to swap in the D17A2 (VTEC) motor from Japanstar.

We bought an Apexi VAFC2 and that’s all wired in so the ECU and old Wiring harness can be reused.

The problem is there’s a part on the new motor that doesn’t wire up or plug into anything. From the pictures in my buddys haynes manual I guess its the EGR valve but I’m not really sure. If anyone could tell me what this is, and where to wire it to, that’d be awesome.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd300/eliteemerz/IMG_20130626_130808.jpg
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd300/eliteemerz/EGRmaybe.jpg

As far as what an EGR valve is, it basically just recycles exhaust gas back into the engine as an emissions reducer. As far as how you need to go about hooking it up I haven’t the slightest idea lol.

if it’s an egr valve and doesn’t HAVE to plug into anything to prevent a CEL then delete that bitch, Air pumps and ERG valves blow

This! A lot of times you can delete the parameters with tuning too so you won’t get a CEL after deleting it. I know once I get the itch to start modding my car first 3 things will be Accessport, EGR delete and, BPV. No real power gains but with the direct injection and Mazda tuning the MS3 pig rich, the EGR leads to carbon buildup faster than most engines. The accessport let’s you disable the EGR parameter.

Well its running off his nonvtec ecu with the apexi adapter so deleting it shouldnt be an issue CEL wise. Thanks for the tips I thought Id be getting flamed for not knowing :thumbup:

Sent from my Evo V 4G using Tapatalk 2

first ever automotive related thread on shift that gets answered?

World record!
let alone by post 4…

Yeah. Something is wrong here.

def a egr vavle just changed one on a friends car, it was soooo plugged up i couldnt clean it all out def do a delete on it

What did you do for tue delete just make a block off plate?

A block off plate would work, but if the EGR isn’t filthy and plugged and not able to close fully, a lot of times the EGR is closed when not connected an would essentially work as a block off plate with no work needed.

this, or make a block off plate

He ended up just leaving it on. Maybe make a block off plate later but thanks for the advice.

Now I have to go set up the vafc2 for him. Sometimes i wonder how me reading the manual and setting it up is any different then him doing it himself.

Ok so i set up the vafc2 the best I could with limited honda knowledge does anyone have any tips settings wise?

Theres a MILLLion settings and ive got no idea what to do except set up when vtec kicks in and out.