2004 Spec V Dyno Results!

Just thought I would post up my dyno results after getting my SAFC II tuned.

http://gallery.thevboard.com/showpic.php?dispsize=Original&album=chasenyadown&pic=Dyno%20results.jpg

If you guys ever need tuning done I highly recommend going to RCTS Canada Research and Development Reg really knows his stuff. and he even was able to make my MCM code eliminated. Anyways Enjoy and thanks again Reg!

Do you have any numbers for before the SAFC install?
What other mods do you have on the car?

No I don’t have the numbers of before, cause Reg started tuning immediately cause my car was bucking so badly from the Camshafts.

I have a lot of stuff done to it but I’ll only go into Engine mods.
Camshafts, BSR, Valve Springs, CAI, Grounding Wires, Headers, MR Downpipe, Nismo Catback Exhaust, UR Pulley, E.S Motor Mounts, SAFC II, Iridium Spark Plugs, Yeah I think that’s it (For the engine anyhow). :finga:

That’s some sweet mods!! Must drive really nice and have a smooth feeling power band.

Any idea what these ussually dyno at stock? The reason I ask is your numbers don’t seem as high as I would have expected. Aren’t they rated at 170crank HP? Do they have a lot of drivetrain loss?

Have to let us know how it does at the strip now!

They have 146hp stock

Yeah, the specs lose quite a lot through the drivetrain. EDIT: I figured it out on my handy dandy Microsoft calculator, and that’s only 17% drivetrain loss - which is not as bad as a ton of cars out there…

187 WHP is a good number man, way to go. :smiley:

How noticable is the extra power from the SAFC?

Honestly it’s like driving with a different engine. It pulls so much harder up top now it’s unreal.

Just remember, if you “tune” your car at Calgary’s elevation, it won’t be optimized for Edmonton. And vice versa.

No he tuned it to be optimal in Edmonton I did 5 pulls, this was the third so yeah the last two he tuned it for Edmonton’s elevation, I could honestly feel it get faster as I got closer to Edmonton it was crazy.

Kris I highly recomend going to calgary to get yours tuned, and if you need or want some help installing your SAFC let me know I’d be happy to help out, I always have Sunday and Mondays off.

Thanks - still waiting for my stupid overhead holder! :?

And how did he do that exactly, if you don’t mind my asking? Did he give you an extra safety margin? If you’re tuning on a dyno with an AFC, all you are doing is adding a little fuel here, taking away some there (by manipulating the MAF signal). But the AFC is not part of any feedback control loop. Doing this method on the dyno YOU the tuner are the feedback, making changes based on what the wideband O2 in your tailpipe is telling you.

When you go from Calgary (3500ft) to Edmonton (2200ft), the air is denser, and your AFC is not going to know the difference. If you tuned in Calgary to some safety margin… say 11.8 A/F, taking your car in Edmonton and running on the dyno again it could be higher just from the difference in air density.

I could honestly feel it get faster as I got closer to Edmonton it was crazy.

That’s going to happen regardless. But its always nice, isn’t it. :slight_smile:

He plugged his laptop into the OBDII port he has a computer program that allows him to see exactly how much fuel the ecu is adjustiong for and all that noise. It’s exactly what he said, unless you have this program ($25,000) you are just guessing and estimating what the fuel levels should be at, this allows him to do an exact tune for our altitude. If you don’t believe me call him up yourself and ask him or Silverboost, he was there for the whole thing so he knows I’m not talking out of my ass.

And Kris Just put it in man, I have my bin down to Jason right now I just used some double sided tape to hold it up until I get mine back, it at least takes your mind off the big hole in the roof.

Looking good Nick, congrats :thumb

I didn’t mean that I didn’t believe you… I didn’t realize they had the ability to correct for altitude and I was just curious how it is done, that’s all.

I didn’t mean that I didn’t believe you… I didn’t realize they had the ability to correct for altitude and I was just curious how it is done, that’s all.[/quote]

Yeah Reg tunes cars all over Alberta, U.S. etc… he just has enough experience to know what kind of safety margins will work once you get back to the elevation you reside in. He tunes Ferraris, Lambos etc… he has an 800hp Supra there and an IS300 tuned to 650hp. He knows his shit fer sure. I mean there will alwasy be variances when doing that, but not enough to hurt the engine or affect performance too much. And yeah I love goingg to lower altitudes… this Calgary Elveation sucks ass. Feels liek a completely different car at sea level.

While Nick and I were there, some guys drives up in his daily driver Supra, and a truck pulled up with his performance Supra… msut be fkn nice to have 2. :slight_smile:

I bet he has an innie for naughty bits.

Bastard. :E

I’ll be making the trip to RCTS to tune, but first I need to make a final decision on whether to scrap the BSR or not. Right now I’m leaning to yes, but I have to get my idle adjusted first since my car is already vibrating itself apart at stoplights… :smiley:

That’s partly due to your motor mount inserts, isn’t it?

That’s about 90% of the problem, yes. :smiley:

It does seem to vibrate more after I installed the suspension bits - I imagine the lower tie bar is transferring some force from the engine to the passenger compartment now instead of dispersing it by flexing the coilovers. Just a theory, anyway.

I was thinking today though, since our balance shafts are only really meant to spin at 10K rpm, I might as well lose them since they’ll destroy themselves anyway if any sort of regular performance driving takes place. Man, I wish I had a Consult II so I didn’t have to pay a dealer to up my idle speed. :?

Ditch the Balancer Shafts, get the kit, throw in sum cams and be a happy man.