2005 Toyota Tacoma

I just bought an 05’ Tacoma a few weeks back.
It isn’t really a project, but there are a few things I’ll be upgrading as time goes on.
Specs: 4.0, 6 Speed, TRD Off-road, 74k.
Today I just did Redline fluid in the Rear End, Transfer Case, Tranny. I ran out of fluid for the front diff, so I’ll be doing that next. I ordered an extra quart of MT90 instead of 75-90ns.
Also, installed a URD short shifter because the stock throw is AWEFUL and uncomfortable. Last week I did the overhead Compass/Temp gauge fix.
I think it has the TSB leaf springs and upgraded shocks of some sort in the rear. Have to look into that.

Future:
Next month I’ll be putting in a new clutch because the T/O bearing is almost embarrassing loud.
Next week is new deck, XM radio, and Sirius (have the deck, but need to order install stuff).
Tonneu Cover at some point.
New tires in late fall.
Looking into a cat-back and intake too…

That should about do it!

Nice. I dont see too many mod’ed Tocoma’s.

I love those trucks, good buy oppie!

not sure if your gonna buy new wheels, but i have a set of 15x8 teflon wheels i’m trying to get rid of that are brand new for $300, it will give alot more cheaper choices for tires also.

You Want the Tonneau cover for Wednesday, sonballs?

Maybe next month Jay. The clutch and buying a 16 x 7 garage door just set me back quite a bit. I’ll let you know man! Thanks!

I’m gonna stick with these for now, but thanks for asking man!

you gonna put the clutch in yourself? Holler if you wanna hand. I <3 clutch jobs.

Yea, probably next month. I’ll let you know!
Not looking forward to it. It seems ok, but the T/O bearing is annoying the piss outta me.

meh it seriously should be a cake job. RWD shit is awesome. let me know if you wanna work out of the rain / driveway & in the garage here, its nice when you can do it with air tools too. I love me a project here and there!

if you need any help moding your taco id be more than happy to help.

for starters you might want to check out LC Engineering, PSI Racing,
URDUSA.com, and customtacos.com.

i got a cluthmasters stage three clutch and 13lb billet fly wheel and it held up to my old taco that dynoed at 448hp and 605Tq

Nice! I’m sure I’ll be sending you some PM’s!

I put my new radio in the other night with the pac-audio steering wheel control adapter. Will post pics soon.

you should pick up one of the URD true cold air kits for it

http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.php?cPath=151_164&products_id=1260518504&osCsid=0q2lpivl0mhc325tgqpvj7ui00

yeah! free watter injection “when it rains”

:rofl

So, I was doing some diggin’ on my TOD issue. You guys have to read this:

P. Bauer -

I’m willing to bet the farm that your problem is no longer the Throw Out Bearing (aka Release Bearing by the Dealer.) My 05 had the same problem at 75K miles. The first chirping sounds were caused by a cracked Release Bearing. I still have it. The crack increased the inner diameter of the Release Bearing and allowed it to spin along the aluminum Pilot Shaft (press-fit into the bell housing.) The Release Bearing is designed to maintain contact with the pressure plate at all times and the outer ring will spin at all times, but the inner ring is not supposed to spin. It simply rides froward and back about an inch or so on the Pilot Shaft. Once the inner ring of the Release Bearing cracks or wears and begins to spin, it wears down the shaft creating a lose fit causing more spinning and more wear. The spinning is the cause of the chirping, plain and simple. Neither Grease nor a replacement Release Bearing will fix the problem.

If you want proof in front of the dealer, simply lift the truck with the engine running and remove the Bell Housing Cover Plate and point a flashlight up there to look at the Release Bearing (drivers side.) You will see the outer ring of the Release Bearing spinning and that is perfectly normal. When it chirps, you should be able to see the inner ring spinning, not normal. If you can’t see it happening, apply just a small amount of pressure on the slave cylinder, once you start hearing the chirp, (small cylinder with a rubber boot just below the opening you are looking in to) with a screw driver and the chirping will stop. It is very easy to do this test and is identical to depressing the clutch pedal 1/2 inch or so.

The only repair is to replace the Bell Housing because the pilot shaft (unlike the 5-speed manuals) is a non serviceable or replaceable component. If you can get a new transmission, you’ll be better off and the dealers usually prefer to replace the tranny based on the the time and difficulty of a rebuild. Theoretically, if Toyota made replacement Release Bearings with different inner diameters, the repair would be less costly. Many times, a technician will go through all the effort to give you a new Release Bearing, Pressure Plate and clutch disc, and slave cylinder, or various combinations of those components only to find you back in the shop within a couple of weeks or less. Worse, they replace the flywheel (the spec is .001 inch of runout on that) the second time around, which is another often misdiagnosis for the chirp.

The test I described is cheap and easy so try it and let us know. I’ve covered this in detail at ToyotaNation if you search there.

I use the clutch in my 07 a lot less. Brakes are cheap in comparison so I don’t down shift if I don’t have to. I don’t sit at lights with my clutch pedal depressed ever. I never inch forward, I’ll sit with 2 or 3 car lengths before I ever inch forward like the auto’s do. For me, I love 2nd gen tacoma 6-speeds so this time around I’m taking a few extra precautions knowing that there is a potential design flaw with that Release Bearing/Bell Housing/Pilot Shaft combination.

Good luck.

:eek2 WTF!!!
$400 for new bell-housing plus clutch kit. I knew I should have went auto.

wow man did you do the test? is that definitely the problem with yours too? SUCKS. bell housing plus clutch kit is still cheaper than rebuilding an auto :wink: trust me. i have 3 that need rebuilt sitting in the shop.

EDIT: I just thought of something else too: If that release bearing is prone to cracking and premature failure and there isn’t an updated part # for it, make sure you get an aftermarket clutch kit. I usually never recommend aftermarket stuff, but in this case its apparent that they are superior.

Not yet. I’m gonna do it sometime this week I think. I’m gonna bet its fucked.
Absolutly going aftermarket! Just have to find something. Need $ first, though :frowning:

Pic of new deck w/ HD radio and front USB. Also, PAC-Audio steering wheel control adapter installed.
Installed the IPod adapter yesterday because my IPod wouldn’t work with the USB port in the front.
Still no ambition to install Sirius yet. Maybe this weekend.

You do that fucking clutch yet homeboy? :wtf