2022 WNY-SCCA auto-x (Ralph Wilson Stadium) Schedule

2021:

• 04/25/21 – Seneca Army Depot – OOR1 - FLR 2021 Autocross #1 - We're Back in Business info on Apr 25, 2021 (416022) | MotorsportReg.com

• 05/16/21 – Bills Stadium – Event 1 – http://msreg.com/wny21event1

• 05/23/21 – Seneca Army Depot – OOR2 - FLR 2021 Autocross #2 info on May 23, 2021 (897981) | MotorsportReg.com

• 06/06/21 – Lake Erie Speedway – OOR3

• 06/13/21 – Bills Stadium – Event 2 – http://msreg.com/wny21event2

• 06/19-20/21 – Seneca Champ Tour

• 06/27/21 – Seneca Army Depot – OOR4 - FLR 2021 Autocross #3 info on Jun 27, 2021 (576513) | MotorsportReg.com

• 07/18/21 – Bills Stadium – Event 3 – http://msreg.com/wny21event3

• 07/24/21 – Seneca Army Depot – OOR5 - FLR 2021 Autocross #5 info on Jul 24, 2021 (359388) | MotorsportReg.com

2 Likes

Excellent pics

Still would love to go to one of these some time. What track/layout is the most open and least likely to ever slide out and hit something?

The stadium was fun and fast, you’d have to really try hard to hit something like deliberately.

I think I’d go with my GTI before I sell it to have fun at least once and see how the layout is and how much I enjoy. From there I’d consider taking the S2000. I’ve been wanting to go for some time now.
What’s required to be able to drive the event? DOT helmet I’m guessing. Is it like $60 or so?

If you follow the rule, “start to spin, both feet in” it’s almost impossible to hit something on an autocross course. If you’re not familiar, it’s an old racers saying where you don’t try to save it, you just jam the brakes and the clutch so you come to a stop. ECC-N was the site that was a bit narrow (and isn’t even used anymore) but even there the only times I saw someone hit a curb were cases where someone tried to save a run by staying in the throttle and getting way off course. I was an SCCA safety steward and one of the things we’d look at before approving the course was the parts that upset a car’s balance and would be likely spin zones, making sure the cars were spinning away from hard objects. That only works if people don’t try to hero-ball it though.

Batavia was always a little sketchy too. And yes, before @fairgentleman_Z points it out, I was the safety steward that gave the safety speech there about if you go off in the grass you’re going to slide until you hit something then proceeded to go off in the grass in my Fiero and hit the foam barrier. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I really need to make one trip out at least this year. I see it’s $60 without membership or college ID.

About how many runs do you generally get per day?
How much down time do you have between runs? (Curious since I’d probably pull my camera out to get some shots)

I didn’t even notice the price, lol.

FLR events are $45 memeber, $60 non member (SeAD is more expensive to rent)
WNY events are $35 member, $45 non member (Bill’s Stadium)
but the FLR Saturday T&T are $30, and you get a lot more seat time:

You need a Snell helmet, but we have loaners, that are first come first serve, I think we have it set up to reserve in motorsportsreg. Not sure how FLR is handling helmets with beer flu.

If SeAD is ran efficiently you should get 6 - 8 runs, it does go a little slow to get everyone on station. Stadium is usually 600 runs / partcipants, so usually 8, but I had been pushing for 6 runs and then 3 fun runs to get people out of there earlier if they were done. MBR-SCCA I’ve seen events of 10-12 runs before. Down time depends if we get enough for 3 run groups.

If you are a first timer you should be using your time in between runs hitchhicking with any experienced driver that you can.

Because there are no solid objects (or very few) at SeAD the course are faster and closer to the edge of grass. Later in the season you could end up in a corn field, but usually that’s experienced drivers on full send.

2 Likes

A few things for this weekend’s event:

• -Pre-register, you will not be charged if you don’t show.
  • -Fill out online health questionnaire DAY OF EVENT, not before. If you have a guest coming please let them know as well.
  • -We are still abiding by masks and social distancing. Mask are required when you are close to someone, or may be close to someone. So always have a mask on your person and at the ready. You don’t need to wear one if you are course working in the middle of no-where.
  • -If you are riding with a stranger, getting instruction, etc. Use your best judgement. We don’t know who is close family member, intimate partner, in the same household, both persons vaccinated, or the efficacy of a full face helmet. No novice will be required to have an instructor if they are not comfortable.
  • -Site preservation, don’t drive like dumbass on Southwestern, Abbott, Milestrip, Big Tree (or within a 5 mile radius of the site). If you have a sweet exhaust we don’t want to hear you coming or going. If you leave your numbers on during lunch don’t draw any more attention to yourself.
  • -Please do not poop in the urinal portion of the porta-potty. I can’t believe this has to be said, but it did come up at our last meeting.
  • -You will want to search for “Lot 6 Preferred” and enter from Southwestern Blvd.

I have an extra brand new helmet. If you show up come and look for me. My car is the pretty red Camaro that’s loud. I’ll take people for joy rides tomorrow if Bill Hunter doesn’t show up. If he’s there I’ll still take you for a ride but I’ll need a few solo runs to gap myself a bit to be safe lol.

Would have loved to show up and definitely appreciate the offer. Hopefully one of these next events. I was playing catchup on a lot of things needing to be done this past weekend. I feel like I’m running all over the place before this baby comes as everyone tells you, “Good luck getting anything done after the baby comes” lol

How was the event? How many runs did everyone seem to get in? Did you happen to see Rob with the white Type R?

Had a good time yesterday. 3 morning runs and 4 afternoon for a total of 7. There were 3 or 4 Type Rs in the lot. One was white, yes sir.

1 Like

Congrats to Joel for getting top PAX! Especially against some top talent from out of town.

Thank you! I was on a mission lol. It helps when you get to drive after the main competitor/rival goes so you have a number in your head you need to beat.

Yep I talked with Rob a bunch of times. He was driving while I was working grid. The new Type R’s are potent cars. There were at least 2 racing and 1 blue one in the lot. Not really sure why Alex drove Ben’s M2 versus just running his R.

1 Like

For anyone that just wants seat time, this should be 10-15 runs, this Saturday:

Next local event is June 13th at the Bills Stadium. No excuses boys! At least come out to spectate for an hour or so if you can’t sign up to race.

1 Like

I have a stupid question.
My kids need to be exposed to fun car shit.

I dont have anything worth driving, but can I manage some sort of ride along?

Nobody wants to see a 2012.gmc terrain take on an autoX course.

I will be on my way back from SOFR during the next WNY event, but I will probably see a few of you guys this Sunday at Seneca Army Depot. Running the WRX

There are insurance rules that I’m not 100% about so I’ll leave that to @fairgentleman_Z or someone who really knows. Be careful though, once you get a ride along you’ll be itching for more.

1 Like

Kids:

D. A passenger is allowed provided he/she:

1. is no younger than twelve (12) years old or is at least 57” tall;

If you want a car to drive all you have to do is ask.

1 Like