210 cited in york,pa

210 cited in crackdown on drag racing on York
Monday, October 22, 2007
YORK, Pa. (AP) Police charged 210 people with summary citations after a crackdown aimed at ending illegal drag racing on U.S. Route 30.

At around 9 p.m. Saturday, police swooped into a shopping center parking lot along the stretch of highway where drag racing had previously occurred.

Authorities say everyone, except for a small number who got away and young children, were charged with trespassing. Those cited ranged in ages from 14 to people in their 40s. Two had outstanding warrants and were taken to the county’s central booking unit.

Most were charged Saturday night, but those with young children were allowed to leave and were being mailed citations, police said. It took police until 5 a.m. Sunday for finish processing those arrested.

City police officer William Wentz, the department’s nuisance-abatement officer, said street racing on that portion of Route 30 has been a recurring problem for the past two years, with races advertised on Internet sites.

They just physically stop traffic on Route 30, line up the cars and race,'' Wentz said.We have video footage. It’s crazy.’’

damn that sucks

Sucks to be idiots.

why would you still do it “fast and furious” style anymore? If you are there at a huge street racing meet like that you deserve a ticket for being a dumbass.

Everyone can get a street race if they want it, no need to draw that much attention to yourselves.

Street racing is gay anyhow, good for them

They are dumb. And now out of some money.

haha

dumbasses

thats about as smart as drag racing in between the stadiums

People who were involved in this have been discussing it on T-I and H-T a bit. It’s funny that these people started off bashing the police saying they weren’t doing anything, then it slowly leaks that it wasn’t so innocent.

I say good for them, go fuck off on a track.

Links to these threads?

http://www.team-integra.net/sections/local/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=138&TopicID=224672&ReturnPage=&PagePosition=0&ThreadPage=1

http://www.hbgtuned.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6358

idiots for meeting at the same spot they were racing, also idiots for racing on a busy street like that. In TX we would have similar meets where everyone could meet up, then we would go to a diffrent location, usually a group of people would lead the ricers and idiots to one spot, Then we would go to a diff. spot. I’ll be the 1st to admit, I love street racing but not in dumb ass places like that.

Good reading. Sounds like they had it coming if they were racing infront of the parking lot that they were meeting at and doing burnouts/donuts

Cops were wrong to do what they did. If they have someone on tape racing and/or have definitive proof the individual(s) were racing, then cite them. If someone was loitering, cite them. But this impounding shit for loitering is for the birds. They’re abusing their power no if’s and’s or but’s.

:hsugh:

Like I said…cite THOSE people that were racing. Impounding the loafers is not right. The punishment doesn’t fit the crime for people who were just loafing.

But you know cops. Anything to give you a hard time. I’ve been threatened with loitering tickets sitting at Sheetz… while eating food. Anything to get that quota!

you’re getting soft in your old age. :hahano:

busts happen every so often… i agree racing on a highway like that is dumb… while i enjoyed watchin them race in UT i never took part.

i mean i’m sure more people would go to PRP if it wasn’t so far but if you live west of the SQ tunnels its a friggin hike.

more info posted on H-T by 96ls: like I said, wasn’t so innocent.:cookie:

http://www.ydr.com/newsfull/ci_7256613

Sweep in lot nets 210
Police: A weekly parking-lot gathering constitutes trespassing and encourages drag racing.
By MIKE HOOVER
Daily Record/Sunday News
Article Last Updated: 10/23/2007 09:47:42 AM EDT

At bottom: · AT A GLANCE
Oct 23, 2007 — As York City Police Officer William Wentz watched over a crowd of people in the Northwest Plaza shopping center Saturday night, he saw one police car chase a dragster down Route 30.

The dragster got away - and is an example of why police cracked down.

“The people we were arresting were cheering as (the dragster) was in police pursuit,” said Wentz, the city’s nuisance abatement officer.

For more than a year, police have fielded complaints from drivers, businesses and people who live in the Colony Park and Fireside areas about loud crowds of people with their cars hanging out after-hours at the shopping center on Route 30 in York, Wentz said.

Despite posted “No Trespassing signs, crowds in the parking lot at Northwest Plaza in the 900 block of Loucks Road sometime swell to 300 people, officials said.

Racers are so bold that they use other drivers to stop traffic on heavily traveled Route 30 so dragsters can race between Fairlane Road and Roosevelt Avenue at speeds of more than 70 mph, Wentz said.

A few weeks
Advertisement
ago, the crowds started throwing fireworks, he said.

When officers on patrol respond to the complaints, they find themselves outnumbered and ignored, Wentz said.

Saturday, 40 officers from five agencies arrested 210 people in the parking lot on trespassing charges.

About 20 police officers arrived in five unmarked vans in a “Trojan horse” surprise approach. Several marked police cars blocked the entrances.

“There was a massive wave of people trying to run to their cars. Everyone was panicking trying to find a way out,” Wentz said.

Police made them sit down and empty out their pockets before they were shuttled to the Lincoln Fire Station to be cited.

More than three dozen vehicles were towed from the private property by a towing firm that property owners hired.

The racing has attracted people from all over Pennsylvania and Maryland, mainly young adults, Wentz said. The attraction was posted on the Internet as a place to street race and meet people, he said.

Wentz said the crackdown will curb the racing for a while. For the next time, he plans to have a portable toilet to be used by the crowds, which took more than four hours to transport and process, he said.

“This lesson will eventually wear off. I think they will be back,” Wentz said.

Some of those arrested have complained they were just looking at the cars, York City Police Commissioner Mark Whitman said.

Charles Lauver of Columbia was one of them.

After having dinner at Old Country Buffet, the car enthusiast went outside, where he stopped to look at the cars.

“It looked like a function was going on, like the cars were supposed to be there,” Lauver said.

Now, the 30-year-old faces more trouble because Saturday’s citation is possibly a violation of his parole.

“I don’t frequent that place. I was in the wrong place at the wrong time,” Lauver said.

But the city’s police commissioner said those in the parking were trespassing on private property that was legally posted by the owner.

Springettsbury Township Police participated in the crackdown to send a message: that speeding and drag racing cannot be tolerated, township police Lt. Scott Laird said.

“We cannot allow innocent people to be put at risk. They are racing on a public highway,” he said.

Staff writer Michele Canty contributed to this report.

AT A GLANCE
WHAT DO YOU THINK?

The sweep: 9 p.m. Saturday to 5 a.m. Sunday

Where: 900 block of Loucks Road, Northeast Shopping Center parking lot

Officers involved: 40

Number of citations: 210

Number of cars towed: More than three dozen

Those with children: 39 (They were cited at the lot and released.)

The agencies involved: York City Police, West Manchester Township Police, Springettsbury Township Police, York County Sheriff’s Office and York County Detectives

More charges? As police review the footage of surveillance video from the past month, others might be charged, Police Commissioner Mark Whitman said.

The videos show trespassing, noise, squealing tires, loud radios, speeding and racing, Whitman said.

Those found speeding on the highway face more serious charges, such as reckless driving or reckless endangerment, he said.

Whitman warns of future crackdowns and said police will not turn a blind eye to lawlessness.

“I’m sure they will think this is one and done. But we’re not finished,” he said.