240 owners review of the Golf.

Just sold my coupe and been contemplating getting another 240 or a more comfortable DD. Just wondering if any of you have owned a Golf before and can provide some feedback? I’ve heard they’re really a hit or miss. An ongoing headache or a reliable dream. Maintenance? Looking to get a 4 door within the 2000-2003 range. Need something for the multiple trips to camping/cottage this summer. Something like this…

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n63/MIKEandez/6212h77_20.jpg

I know its really biased to post this in a 240 forums but hoping for feedback from those who have owned both vehicles. However, any feedback is much appreciated.

Ive owned a number of cars especially vw.The most important thing to know about a golf is dont buy an auto you will forever be changing starters.Ive had good luck with all three golfs ive owned except for the auto my wife had.It was a pos with alot of small hassle issues.The starter the worst of all>Changing the starter in an auto just plain bites…anyway thumbs up overall to the golf…beats owning a minivan lol

Its one of the worst handling cars i’ve driven.

Thanks. Defineltely looking for manual. 4 door. Black or silver. Clean stock look. Ideally I’d like to have this as a DD and a 240 as a weekend car. Can’t afford both and definetely cannot afford insurance for both cars. decisions, decisions.

^ werd. I hope to never own one.

I know most nissan guys hate vw but i have driven worse cars.My experience with Golfs was good overall but I have definitely heard the horror stories myself.MY last golf was a 93 turbo diesel, just got rid of it last fall for $1000 .It had 500 000 km on it and it was still bulletproof.I think its just luck of the draw, however I hate front drive even in my 3.5l maxima-its a style thing…lmfao…good luck man

Shittiest cars ever. I’d rock a honda odyssey way before I drove a golf. F that.

I’d rather have a mini-van over a non-vr6 golf.
these new mini-vans are so sick, The ride is so smooth and you can smash speed bumps and what not.

get a mazda protege
they are the cheapest on insurance
and 2004’s go for like 2000 bucks.

Sorry I can’t be of any help, but…

I have owned over 10 v dubs and still own 2 of them. They are great cars, get a 5 speed, look for a diesel nothing beats 1000k on a single tank, i currently have a 2002 tdi and a 2001 gti 1.8t. If you are interested in one bring it by my shop i can look over it for you and let you know if its a good deal or not.

Thanks.

My opinion on the golf itself is ok some are good some are bad hit or miss kind of car… the drivers on the other hand are all miss.

Mike, get a 4 door civic or an EL

Those things are cheap for a reason. When I was 18 I bought a 98 GTI VR6, beautiful car decently quick. But in the four years I owned it I put $20,000+ in repairs. The thing was a piece of shit. Problem after problem. I couldnt afford to do the mods I would have liked cause I always had to fix shit. I will NEVER buy a VW again. If you go on VWVortex there is a crew that reps “broke status” cause after moding their car and fixing everything thats wrong with it they gotta buy Colt 45s to get drunk.

I fucking hate golfs…240sx owns a golf in every single way.

Is it just me or the clutch on the golfs fucked up?

i know a couple of guys that own golfs, they’re pushing pretty high kms without too many problems. from my experience they’re pretty reliable, but as some people have said sometimes you get a bad one. my problem with VW’s is that they feel like crap to drive. i just hate the feeling you get inside of them. plus, you have to press the clutch in like 2 meters, you cant even keep your heel on the floor you have to make a whole leg movement. i like driving japanese cars personally, and would stick with that

+1 i drove a 1999 golf 5 speed from Montreal to Toronto for my buddy, worst drive ever, only vdub thats fun is a corrado vr6.

Thanks for the replies. Really weighing the pros and cons. The main thing is i need to save money. I can’t help but dump money into 240’s, burned a hole in my wallet for 2 years now. haha. I figure the golf is good on gas, I like the stock look of it (don’t like them when their modded to shit), quieter car for a change, roomy interior, cheaper insurance. However, boring compared to the 240. The biggest sacrafice would be track days, still learning, but I love it.

Was looking at this 240 as well: http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-1990-Nissan-240SX-s13-Hatchback-4500-O-B-O-W0QQAdIdZ213446379
Decently priced for what’s in it, but a fixer-upper. <–the last thing I need. Anyone familiar with the car?

I’d get a civic, el or protege; but I know I’d eventually hate it. I’m really picky with what I drive.

Original Drift Master - You have a PM.

Why not try and budget your expenses? Gas is one thing you can potentially save money on when it comes to the diesels, but in terms of build quality from VW, id factor that in too. How often and how much will maintenance be, or what sort of repairs will be needed in the near future, and then youll have to worry about getting a good VW as opposed to some of the horrow stories ive heard myself.

My buddy recently got the same car pictured in red, and so far its done him good…he got the 1.8t and its alright. I’ve driven it myself and it just seems to be a german version of a civic…the engineering/build of the car i different, but its the same ultimately.

IMO, id get a civic and call it a day. it maay not be your 1st choice, but you are guaranteed to save money…and thats why they are so good; among other factors. all-in-all GL in the search.

^ very true. I know they’re a pain maintenance/repair wise from what some have told me. Phil’s post above is a perfect example. Parts are relatively more expensive. Budget is crucial and for the past few years, I haven’t really set one. Really need to in order to save and get back into school.

Maybe sticking with 240s and tightening my budget is the way to go…

i own a 02 golf gls with 60,000k and it drives like a dream. its automatic but its the biggest difference between driving my s13 and driving the golf. i dont hear any noises coming from the golf no rattles and barely any road noise. gas milage is amazing on the 2.0 and it its been good to me reliability wise, interior looks nice and is pretty comfortable. back seats fold down almost straight and it gives you alot of room to put shit in ( i usualy put couple bmx’s in there if im heading up north). only things ive done to it so far was replace couple headlight bulbs and taillight bulbs. keep up with maintenance and it will serve you right. dont be scared when the CEL comes on.

all vw’s smell like shit too, believe it.