240sx owners are better than...

Why is it that all you dudes that roll in S13/S14’s, for the most part, actually know what you’re talking about and know how to build a decent car…

as opposed to…

all these guys with newer sport compacts (350z, g35, bmw 3 series’, Genesis coupes etc. etc.) who don’t have ANY CLUE what they are doing.

swear to god i’m answering questions about lowering springs… apparently reputable shops are bashing HSD in favour of BC Racing coilovers…

guys are asking where they can get MESH GRILLES for their less than 4 year old car…

shifter bushings now count as mods?

guys talking about how their sway bar endlinks have changed the character of their car…

WHAT IS THIS WORLD WE LIVE IN?!?!?!?

Because Nextmod

explain this to me… i just sent my greddy intake manifold to a dude who runs a nextmod and i see wicked pics from them…

Well let me break down what I’ve seen:

Being in college/uni there are a lot of guys here, especially engineers, who consider themselves car guys. The extent of their practical knowledge is maybe changing a flat tire and their air filter. Rather than doing any work themselves, they go to a place like Nextmod or similar shop and pay for somebody else to put simple mods (wink mirrors, spoilers/canards, carbon fiber everything, bushings and shit). End result, over privileged rich kids driving around in AUTOMATIC gen coupes with carbon fiber hoods, slammed on cheap coilovers and 6000k HID kits. Too much off the shelf parts and not enough real work being done if you ask me.

For the most part, S chassis guys can’t afford to pay somebody else to do the work. Plus we know that paying somebody else to bolt on wide body flares means less moneys for other mods.

I think the answer is actually pretty simple.

I takes a man with a lot of willpower and patience to build a proper reliable car out of a 25 year heap of metal, on the other hand anyone with some $$$ can slap some basic mods on a newer car and bam! racecar status attained.

this is definitely part of it…

but i think the outcome of a class of people who have to figure problems out for themselves is the capacity for critical thought.

so when someone comes at you with some super weak game they don’t get any credibility…

People still want mesh grilles these days, but why lol.

In 2015, the average 240 is just as bad as the average civic, mazda 3, neon etc imo

you might be biased by knowing the 10 or so people around with nice onces :slight_smile:

only a small few end up at the track, or at your meets. there’s lots of them around that are just horrendous.

I suppose that could be true. There certainly have been some suspect questions in the FB group of late but they are far over shadowed by many awesomings.

There is only a couple super serious dudes I see in the gen coupe groups and they came from here :slight_smile:

• Updated - - -

holy crap… i see @Fobwall lurking here…

+1

You really don’t see any 240s around anymore. And if you do, it’s usually in terrible condition and/or terribly modded.

Bing, back in the day…240s were pretty awesome…but things quickly started going downhill unfortunately.

Things started great because people were interested in putting SR20s into their 240s.

This is how the 240 scene died:

1. It all started going downhill with all the flat black aero / flat black cars
  2. Then came the coloured zip-tie “stitching”
  3. Then came the drift missile trend and all the angled stickers
  4. Then came the “hoonigans” along with Hellaflush

It’s 2015 now and the 240 scene here in Ontario is pretty much dead in my opinion.

pretty much this and my facebook comments,

I’ve heard enough people refer to their sputtering daily driven multi coloured single cam 240 as a “racecar” that I’m ready to just buy a newer rwd platform keep it stock and not be known as a “car enthusiest” at all

I certainly can’t afford to pay for a shop to install my swap or coilovers or whatever. A few things I pay for being, exhaust and major fab work like cages etc. Because I don’t have a hoist and I’m not really setup to do major fab work.

dudes… you’re not paying attention then.

again this could just be me but i see a lot of guys still building awesome cars and i bet Varun sees 3 times more than i ever see.

A lot of newer cars just don’t need as many mods so people never really get into it. If you buy a 240 it makes 140hp if it even runs at all. So something has to be done, you put an SR in it or whatever and get hooked, next thing you know it’s a full build.

The average person buys a g37 and never feels the need, it already makes 300hp through a 6 speed. A “cheap” turbo setup isn’t really that cheap so they turn away from it and they never get hooked. Already having 20k+ in a car I would have a hard time doing anything major it aswell.

Most of these guys with nice 240s have been around them for a long time and it built up to what they’re building now.

I think 350s will be in 5 or so years where the 240 is now

My first 240 was the nicest one I’ll ever own so that kind of contradicts previous statements, but now here i am with an ugly one that spins tires. Disregard all I have said

Simple answer, S-Chassis Owners build it for fun, not to show off at some stupid car show in some suburban parking lot. Some like to drive it fast so they build it fast, some like to slide em so they build it for sliding and Others just love it for the fact that it is what it is. Research and Passion lol.

G35 guys are wannabe ballers lol, a 240 is a better platform for modding when you consider the new e test regulations it makes it very challenging to do a swap with full compliance it’s just too much of a headache unless you’re really experienced with hacking wiring harnesses

i was thinking about this a bit more and to counterpoint myself you dont really have to do that much to newer cars to make them awesome.

on a G37 coupe if you start putting coilovers and arms and forced induction you ruin the car… in THAT case you are better off going with a 240sx…

however, in my G35 coupe i just did spring / strut, big brakes and some other suspension set up items and the thing was awesome… beyond perfect daily and i miss it @NoSkillz

on a newer BMW or Genesis 2.0T you probably should just stick with bolt-ons and since you dont have to go much further than that i guess you don’t really need to worry about new wiring harnesses for everything and tubbing out the engine bay and angled subframe risers and shit.

I am going to disagree with this. The scene might be dead, this thread is the most action this forum has seen in 2 years, but imo the majority of 240’s I see on the road are quite nice. I live in barrie now so I don’t see many but the 4 I see on a regular basis are in good shape, well taken care of and most importantly clean, meaning none of the 4 points you made.

As for 240 owners being smarter… I find that hard to believe since I keep spending money on my 25 year old car… but as someone already said too spend money on a 25 year old car you need to do the work yourself. I went to install a progress front sway bar last weekend. Should be an easy bolt on, but when is anything easy on a 240. stripped both studs and one of the nuts in frame rail had broken loose. Had to get out the welder and repair 3 out of 4 mounting locations. I don’t even know how much a shop would charge to do that.

Driving feelz vs. fashion accessories.
Mesh grilles don’t look good on s-chassis’.
Blame ertefa.

http://www.son240sx.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=34765&stc=1