2way LSD making alot of noise???

I got my silvia last summer and was told it had a new HKS 2way LSD in it. Now I belive it’s a 1.5 or 2 way limited slip, it obviously spins both tires and locks them during heavy cornering loads. And I know 2way’s are supposed to be noisy.

However mine was really bad when I got it, any time I cornered it clunked and vibrated the rear end as it grabbed/released/grabbed/released going around corners at light throttle. so i replaced the oil with Amsoil extreme duty synthetic gear oil, and it got quiter and smoother and ALOT nicer to drive.

But Now it is back to it’s old self, not even 5,000km’s since I changed the oil, and it’s making loud clunking noises, vibrating the rear end, being unpredictable with how hard it’s going to grab and release, and when i hit the throttle or quickly let off the throttle it clunks as it loads up or unloads.

I am at a loss as to what to do about it!! It seems pointless to change the oil allready, it’s brand new still! And the noise and vibration is bad enough I am afraid something inside is breaking/broken/loose/screwed-up or something!

Anyone have any experience, advice, knowledge, link to some knowledge ect… ANYTHING ??? Please Help!

Thanks

Get some rear end additive, you can go to a Ford dealership. Just tell them you want some Linited Slip Diff additive. It will probably help with the noise cause its made for clutch type diffs to stop chattering.

yes that is one option, but flavio dont you have a lsd that dosent make noise? maybe you guys can work out some kind of trade lol

From ford you say?? OK, thanks i’ll try that.
Do you just add it to the old stuff or should I change the oil out while I’m at it??

Thanks

Most 2 ways recomend not to use synthetic oil.

Kaaz says only to use theirs and people have said it performs better with it.

Just add it in and see how it works. But sounds to me like its wearing out maby? Ive had 2 ways like this too and I do not like it at all! Kazz makes noises but when things are clunking as hars as I think your thinking Id strongly recomend for you to take the diff out and pull the cover off and take a look. Turn the ring gear and look around for anything that doesnt look right. This will take you about 2 hrs to take out and throw back in and you only need simple tools. It can be a faster job if your used to working on this sorta stuff but ya thats what I would do for sure!

yes that is one option, but flavio dont you have a lsd that dosent make noise? maybe you guys can work out some kind of trade lol[/quote]
Sorry I want my HLSD…Fucking this viscous and clutch shit!!!
:stuck_out_tongue:

I thought you have to drop the whole rear subframe to take the diff out or open it up? It had better not be worn out allready, Rob just put it in for me like 5,000KM’s ago. If it comes down to it I’ll drop it and have a look, but I am hopeing there is an easyer answer!

If synthetic isn’t recomended for some diffs, what is recomended? Just a high viscosity engine oil?

I thought you have to drop the whole rear subframe to take the diff out or open it up? It had better not be worn out allready, Rob just put it in for me like 5,000KM’s ago. If it comes down to it I’ll drop it and have a look, but I am hopeing there is an easyer answer!

If synthetic isn’t recomended for some diffs, what is recomended? Just a high viscosity engine oil?[/quote]
75W90 gear oil GL4 rated. The diff is held in by two bolts on the rear cover,two to the body and attached 4 to the propshaft, and 6 to each driveshaft.

Well i put in 75-90 gear oil, but it was synthetic. So this GL4 means it isn’t synthetic??
And should I mix the additive with the non-synthetic, or is it for synthetic oils only??

Thanks for your help guys!

If synthetic isn’t recomended for some diffs, what is recomended? Just a high viscosity engine oil?[/quote]
75W90 gear oil GL4 rated. The diff is held in by two bolts on the rear cover,two to the body and attached 4 to the propshaft, and 6 to each driveshaft.[/quote]
Actually the transmission is the one that requires GL-4. In the rear just put any 75w90 or 80w90 you wish.

1.5/2ways are noisey theres no two ways about it…it just how they are…if u want quiet trade someone for a stocker, im sure they’d be glad too…

Synthetics are made GL4 and GL5 as well.

How would you describe the "normal sound of a 2way diff?? I am honestly curious to hear what’s normal, as I have nothing to compare to.
Thanks

Any recomendations on what kind of gear oil has worked well for any of you running high performance diffs??

bring it by and i can tell…they make alot of noise…
it how they are…clunking clicking…etc

I will disagree with this (as a blanket statement). I have a Kaaz 2-way and other then slow, full lock corners in parking lots you would be hard pressed to know I have a locking rear diff.

I’m not sure if I just got super lucky, but mine makes no noise at all. (Yes - it’s working)

That being said, I was in another local guys car around here with a KAAZ in it and the thing bucked and knocked all over the place.

I have only ever used Kaaz fluids and recomend them 1000%

Not synthetic is recommended only for KAAZ or all types of LSDs ?

I am trying to change my differential fluid too but I have no clue what “brand” LSD it is… I believe it is a 1.5 way because I have been in a 2-way and it doesnt lock or engage as hard when you let off the throttle and around corners ?

Here’s a good thread for LSD info. It’s massive but there’s discussion on what gear oil is recommended, wether LSD additive is needed as well as certain diffs not liking synthetic.

http://ziptied.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1067&highlight=lsd

B-Wurm :smiley:

Well, on that thread i saw that most people recomended a 80-90W or 90-140W non-synthetic oil. And they were undecided about using an additive. But alot of guys on there talked about how loud there LSD’s were and how they clunk and all that, so I think mine might be normal! I will just try changing the oil.
Any recomendations?
Thoughts on additives?

Thanks guys, that link was helpful.

Well, I was checking out some diff oil and came across some diff additive(same stuff as the ford additive apparently) so i tried it and it is working nicely. It lets the clutches slip alittle more, so they don’t bite at low speeds very much, and the chatter and clunking has drastically quite’ed down. very streetable now, perhaps a little less “high performance” but still locks up when I want it to!

Thanks for the help