LSD ...again...I know...sorry...I searched!!

I’m looking into an LSD for the S13 240SX I just purchased two days ago.

I know this has been covered many, many times but most every topic involves people wanting a cheap solution.

I have some cash to spend, although I’m not looking for anything too crazy. This is a daily driver that will be beat on and maybe drifted -poorly- the odd time here and there, but not very often. It will also only see the roads 5 months of the year.

What type of LSD do you guys recommend? My assumption is 2 way is too aggressive for a daily driver.

Any brand suggestions as well? I don’t mind going stock if it will suit my purpose either.

Thanks

there is nothing wrong with daily driving a 2way diff…i have had one in my silvia for 3 years…

i have a 2 way in my daily, 99 percent of the time you don’t even know it’s there.

It doesn’t sound like you need anything more than a vsld though.

i have a vsld and i have no problems, but a 2 way wont hurt like said above. As for names, OS Giken is some serious $$ but VERY good, also KAAZ makes some pretty good stuff for a decent price.

yup there’s nothing wrong with a welded diff other some incoviniences like driving slowly in parking lots or the fact that you either have under steer at low speeds or over steer when you least expect it lol. But it’s lots of fun lol

Well, I’ve installed a 2-way Tomei LSD in my '89 240SX this summer (http://www.n-e-c-c.com/beta/showthread.php?t=12428) and loved it for drifting. However, I must say I would suggest 1.5-way tops unless you are making a drift slut. The main reason is maintanence. LSD oil is not cheap and you got to drain that thing every 4’000km. Second, wear-in is rough. Third, it is easier on Edmonton gravel-covered roads when spring comes. (If you need pointers on the install, let me know. I pulled that diff this autumn when I gave my car away and can show you first hand what to look out for.)

if you have understeer going into a corner while decelerating, 2-way will help you out more than a 1.5 way. just make sure you’re awake :slight_smile:

i drive with a 2-way through winter and summer, and it’s fine… i’ve also seen some extremely aggressive 2-way’s with way higher preload that lock up at the slightest wheel speed difference and are annoying for street driving.