$4.00 a gallon FU V. Good DD that's reliable, comfortable and good on gas

what?

28 MPG on the highway is fairly poor for a slow POS. My car has a driveline thats know by many as being one of the least efficient Honda has ever made, and I can get nearly 30 on the highway.

If you only care about cheap MPGs, find an old CRX HF. You can expect 40+MPG no problem, its rated at 50 MPG Highway. Most people end up getting closer to 60. Easier to find would be a previous gen Insight. They can do 60-70 MPG, and are fairly reliable.

From a pure cost savings perspective, getting a 6-7K ‘luxury beater’ that gets 25MPG isn’t economical. Getting a 60+ MPG POS for 1-3K can actually start saving you some money.

I guess you havent really figured out the numbers
Say you drive 12k per year TDI 12000/50 mpg=240 240x4.50=$1080
or in his suv 12000/13mpg =923 923x4 = $3692
in my saturn 12000/30mpg=400 400x4= $1600
Thats a pretty BIG difference with the “premium” fuel.That is why ill be switching to a TDI shortly when,especially when I drive 20k+ a year

That is why ill be purchasing

I’m thinking tdi jetta now.

I believe he’s reffering to the jackwagons who believe their 250k mile 2000 jetta tdi is still worth 8 grand…

to add to this, I bought an '02 tdi with 90k miles on it for 10 grand… drove it for about 2 years… put 40k miles on it, and sold it for 8 grand… if you can find the right buyer and the right seller, they are hella worth it.

i thought 28mpg in a 10 second ride is pretty good…not some POS Honda

You can generally get 02-04 for 4-6k depending on miles and options.They are just beasts that last forever as long as timing/water pump is done.

Yeah, thats great. I assumed you were talking about a $700 Shadow getting 28MPG. 28 MPG is fantastic for a 10 second car.

From experience… do NOT buy an old audi in an effort to save money. If you are looking for anything OBD2, expect to pay out the ass just to get the fucker to pass inspection. Go ahead and look up parts like: combi valve (egr), secondary air pump, mass airflow sensor. Do it. Your gas savings don’t matter at that point. Just my .02

What if I told you I had a 2000 Honda civic sedan in nice shape that got 30-35mpg, has an ~8 gallon tank with a range of ~280 miles, and only costs $10 to fill the tank?

<3

buy a honda elite… 100 mpg all day. dooo it!

---------- Post added at 01:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 PM ----------

MSRP is less than 3k i think too

Should I be concerned with one that has more than 160k miles on it? So besides waterpump and timing chain, no other common issues with the TDIs? How many miles should I stay away from, like 250k?

Thanks

Cant be baller on a budget. Get the Honda! I thought the whole idea here was to save money? :gotme:

50mpg would save alot of money.

Buy something you can flip. People always act like spending money on a car is money you will never get back. After 10 years old you are pretty safe from depreciation. E36’s and B5 A4’s are cheap and fun to drive but they definitely aren’t as low maintanence as sentra’s or civic’s. In my opinion they are worth it, I like cars that are fun to drive and there is no comparison between eco-boxs and sporty german sedans. Most months I don’t have to put any money into my A4, and when I do, it is less than a payment anyway.

I can understand keeping the SUV for towing/hauling, but if you don’t do that much of that it isn’t really worth it. I have hauled transmissions, tires, and plenty of other shit in my cars. I know tons of truck/SUV drivers who haul less shit than me, but I also have access to a truck when I need to do serious work. Renzo even had a short block in the trunk of his old M3. You have the f-bod for some powa, get a german car for handling. If you get the corrections job you’ll want better mpg, might as well get some fun in the twisties out of it.

Just don’t want to break down in the middle of no where, with no cell phone service. Life would be not so good lol.

The funny part of all of this is a 6spd F-body doesn’t even get terrible gas mileage

I dont think you can get below 50 MPG in this beast…

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-Honda-Insight-Hybrid-5-Speed-Manual-No-Reserve-/270736760765?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3f092b1fbd#ht_23110wt_1167

But yes, its going to make you look like a tree hugger. Rattle can it flat black, and pour a qt of oil into every tank?

Yeah I know, I drove my car from NY-Fl, gets great gas mileage on the high way, and I usually don’t get less then 18mpg driving around city. But it’s like 300 miles to the academy and 300 back every week putting on 600 miles, it adds up, don’t feel like doing that to my car. Even at 28mpg it will cost alot to go back in forth.