518 residents. Do you like where you live?

? Again, you’ve never done it so how would you know?

Kramer’s right, living/working/playing there is different than taking a weekend trip. Everyone bitches about traffic but 99.999% of people who live in cities dont drive to work. Everyone bitches about crime but if you live there you dont get lost in rapeville. Everyone bitches about AIDS but AIDS isnt so bad… right?

$.02, just sayin. It’s different. And far more awesome than you might guess. Imagine living somewhere where there is always something NEW to do every night? World class entertainment? Or where you’re constantly tripping over the most beautiful women in the country (damn you Kramer, Manhattan is sophisticated, intelligent, beautiful women Mecca)? Montreal has a surprising ratio of great talent tho, if you live in Alb you need to go.

Dont hate on city life because traffic sucked during your weekend trip to Times Square.

Never done it?

You ever heard of a little village called Moscow where I grew up?

Mockba

Prekroi menya; Mne nado perezaredit’sa

How old were you? I hear Moscow was really jumpin during the 80s/early 90s.

Try living in an American city when you’re old enough to enjoy what it offers. Seriously Vlad, apples to meatloaf.

I was 12 when I left. In 2000.

And in soviet Russia you grow up quick. Theres just about nothing I haven’t done at that time that I’ve done since I “matured” here. If anything I traveled more back then and explored the city after getting out of school.

So tell me, what do these cities offer that is so glorious Dr? Offers that you have to make a lot of sacrifices and pay out of your ass to enjoy?

Oh also keep in mind we are a car community, tell me all the city benefits for the car guys while you’re at it.

Whatever, you’re a city lifestyle expert and know far more than I. Moscow when you’re 12 is exactly the same as NYC/Boston/DC/Chicago/LA when you’re a young adult professional living and working in a metropolitan area and taking advantage of the social benefits.

I spelled out a few examples before, want more? Car ownership sucks in most cities, was that not clear to anyone?

Those are all rhetorical, I have no desire to have one of your Vladscussions about it.

I’m as much of a car guy as anyone else and I very rarely think of my car or driving at all when I’m in the city. If anything, it just makes me appreciate the whip more when I am actually around it.

I get soooooooo fuckingggggg boredddd in Albany sometimes, I can’t remember the last time I was bored at school. Granted, campus life is very different from living at home and working 40 hours a week, but even in the Bronx there’s enough to keep anyone busy. Being 17 minutes from Grand Central or anywhere else in Manhattan is the icing on the cake.

edit: yeah, i’m done too, i think i’ve explained my point enough :lol

Kramer, Jellies and myself in Montreal (again) blowing lines>anything south of the border.

Well since Jclarks best logical argument is to twist what I’ve said and then withdraw I’ll ask you Kramer.

What do you do in the city that you’re “never bored” that can’t be done here on weekly basis? Bars? Clubs? Parties? Movies? Watch the building stand up? You have to exclude any occasional visits to places and destinations because those can be visited by us with the same ease just without being cooped up and constantly surrounded.

Can’t compare Albany to fun college campus life. Just isn’t in the same ballpark.

I’ll address the two parts I bolded separately.

The first one is entirely incorrect. Think about these examples: If you wake up at 12PM on a Saturday in Albany, you can spontaneously decide to longboard through Central Park for two or three hours and make it back to your house in time for dinner? You can find five cheap Yankees tickets on StubHub for a weeknight game in a day or two and find four friends who are willing to get hammered, go to the game, and then wake up at 8AM the next day for work or class? Your friend can tell you on Thursday about Tiesto playing at Webster Hall that Sunday and actually get people to go and then not miss class or work Monday morning? If you can do any of those things, please let me know, because I’m using the wrong modes of transportation, hanging out with the wrong people, or both.

Second, I don’t look at the city as being “cooped up and constantly surrounded.” I’m not sure if you’re playing devil’s advocate or if you actually feel that way yourself; if these are your feelings, there will be no influencing you. The energy of a big city is palpable every hour of every day of the week. People take that energy different ways. I’m not going to try and explain why people have different tastes and personalities.

True, but read this post. I’m not saying that the city life is great because I do all this shit every week. Simply having the opportunity to do all of those things without planning or disrupting obligations is very comforting and appealing.

First.

You’re really going to tell me I can’t have a long boarding experience in nature locally? I wouldn’t even have to use a subway or drive for an hour to get there. Null argument.

So you got sports and music so far as your biggest arguments for renting instead of owning for basically the same $$, almost never driving your car and having everything more expensive. And FYI I’m sure you know and seen plenty of people commuting to those things out of other areas. Maybe even done it yourself.

And your second argument “is you just have to like it”. I won’t argue with you on that, but you’re quite right, I don’t like it. I like privacy and finance sense. I don’t like being constanly surrounded by people, waiting in lines, never being able to enjoy driving my car or bikes on a whim, I hate traffic, I hate paying a premium for something just because it’s “From the city brah”.

Smoke MAD bud, at ToSs the frisbee with my Fordum bros in central park. That’s how I roll.

I like Albany and the 518 area being a student, but to live here for ever… NO, even NY No, i cant take the amount of taxes they have and using 787 paying a toll all the time that shit is soo annoying and adds up fast im Diff moving to NC or SC, after school for cheaper taxes on houses and better weather. Also like someone ealse said Gun Laws and emissons on cars are also way easyer in the South in most states.

What matters to me the most is money in my Pocket. I can always make more friends, i dont see my famaily to often anyways so no big deal, ( maybe i will see them more if i get a place they can vacation at) hahaha

Great thread…

Capital Region

Pro’s:

– Green grass
– Lots of clean freshwater/lakes
– 4 seasons
– Mountains
– Ski mountains
– Close to the ocean/coast
– Large rivers for recreational & shipping purposes
– Not known for having natural disasters such as earthquakes, hurricanes, tsunami or massive wildfires.
– Lots of colleges/universities

Con’s:

– High Taxes
– Above average cost of gas
– High cost of living
– High real estate
– High summer humidity
– Poor representation
– Crooked/morally unethical politicians
– No Pro sports teams
– Income levels seem to be average. I believe the median income level for this area is
– No conference center
– No high speed rail or train system
– No local race course
– No real arena (Times Union Center is tiny)
– People here are generally selfish, impolite, rude, uncourteous, disrespectful.
– Albany is a black hole! Few get up and leave. It draws you in… Slowly sucking you in until it sucks the life out of you and its gravitational forces are to strong to pull out…!

I have traveled most of the US, caribbean islands & canada. CA has an amazing climate, but lacks rain/freshwater and green grass for me to live there. Also the cost of living is out of site even compared to here!!! I have lived here all my life. I would leave if I wasn’t so family grounded. I had the means and didn’t pull the trigger. I was seriously considering TN. A nice mountain lake house. Low cost of living, No retirement tax, No harsh winters. I love snow, but I never seem togo skiing or boarding much anymore. Always to busy with work/life!

There are people out there in this world and even on our forum who will do nothing but complain and mope their entire lives, regardless of their situation.

Like Sheryl Crow said, it’s not about having what you want, it’s wanting what you’ve already got.

I’ve lived in east berne and knox my whole life. I like the area. The roads here are fun to drive, the scenery is nice, nice places to walk, there are a bunch of lakes out here… But i hate the fuck out of the northeast. I hate the snow, and the cold, and the ice, and all of that bullshit. Reason I’m still here? Money/health insurance/price of out of state tuition. Currently saving. Moving in two months. Fuck NY.

Stop whining about the weather. Your body adapts to the changing temperatures. It’s all in your head

False.