89 240sx KAE SWAP *UPDATE NOV 18TH*

Due to lack of interest for the car and my planned winter car dying on me even before winter started…im going to be keeping my old 240, swaping another ka24e into it, and driving it over winter.
This is my first ever attepmted swap so please, be easy on me.

Okay so here is what it looks like:

Here is what i managed to do today:
-Got batterie off
-Got intake off
-Got rad and fan shroud out

Ive purchased another ka and im just waiting on a friend and his lift to get the old motor out, then some bay cleaning and put the new motor in.
I am trying to label and write down everything i do aswell as taking alot of pictures.
Any other tips you guys could give me would be great.

pull the p/s pump off that engine and tie it up with out disconnecting the hoses. 1 less mess to deal with. :partyman:

Take a hacksaw to the EGR.

its a VERY easy swap to do.
i did that same one just over a year ago.
unplug your harness WITHOUT CUTTING ANYTHING.
undo any part necessary, un bolt your cross member, pull your driveshaft off, undo your motor mounts…Pull the engine out.

Reverse the procedure to install.

ive been told that many times,
which is good considering its my first swap.

before i do the pull the engine, ive got the p/s pump to unbolt aswell as unplug all the wiring.
after that, should i be good to pull the engine out?

my buddy Dan and I did it in 1 and a half nights… really easy. tip is to make your car REALLLY high off the ground. makes it alot easier

[/quote]tip is to make your car REALLLY high off the ground…[/quote]

Just make sure your engine hoist can still reach high enough to clear the engine and trans over the rad support…

before i do the pull the engine, ive got the p/s pump to unbolt aswell as unplug all the wiring.
after that, should i be good to pull the engine out?[/quote]

there is more to it than unpluging the p/s pump and wiring harness.
when you say your unpluging your harness, i hope your not unpluging everything!
only unplug what is 100% necessary, keep everything else attached with the engine.
make sure to drain your oil from your engine and tranny, if you dont, you will have one hell of a mess on your hands.

you have to unbolt your cross member so your transmission will come out, should be 5 bolts, 2 on each side and 1 in the middle. put a jack under it so when you unbolt it completly it wont come crashing to the ground or on you.
send me a pm, i am willing to come lend a hand if you want but i dont no where you live!

after that, should i be good to pull the engine out?[/quote]

uhhhh i wouldnt try that…

still gotta remove

-shifter
-tranny brace
-driveshaft
-motor mounts

then you should be good to go

thanks for the info guys.
im doing the swap on saturday.
let you know how it goes!

update

So i finaly got the engine out.
Took me about 12.5 hours spread over a week.(school shop is closed at 3:15, but ive been there on saturdays) and ive done 95% of the work myself.

^Engine ready to come out^

^Being pulled^

^Engine out^

^Old engine on the left, new one on the right^

Ive got alot of cleaning ahead of me as well as moving parts from one engine to another.
Should be wrapped up by the end of this week.

You’re doing awesome! Good job so far, appreciate the pics.

great learning curve eh bud??

yea make sure u clean up everything nicely before u put it back in
just for kicks u should paint ur block :slight_smile:

im gonna clean as much as i can but i dont think ill have the time to paint much…
i need this running asap cause i have no other car!

bah just a quick rattle can cant hurt, cleans up the engine bay nicely

UPDATE

Switched every thing from on engine to another, Cleaned up the bay and droped the engine in.
All the wiring is reconnected as well as all fuel/coolant/vaccum lines.

^Pulled the tranny off and found this surprise^

^New engine ready to go^

^Bay all cleaned up^

^Engine in^

I just have to put back my rad, p/s pump, fan and shifter and fill the fluid and i should be ready to go.

Good pics during the process. I like how you tagged hoses so you know what goes where. At least that’s what it looks like. Good job! :slight_smile: