'95 Lumina Brake Lights/Turn Signal Issue

The girlfriend’s car is acting funny. It’s a 1995 Lumina. The turn signals recently stopping working (both directions), as well as the 2 brake lights. The center high mount stop lamp still works fine. The signal stalk itself will click into position, it’s just that nothing will happen. No green arrow on dash, no clicking of the signal, signals don’t light up, nothing. When you step on the brake, only the high mount stop lamp in the rear glass lights up. When you press the hazard switch, only the left signal starts clicking.

When she first got the car in ’05, we had this same problem with the brake lights. While she was getting brakes done at some shop, they diagnosed it and replaced some $30 relay (I have no clue what it was, or where), and it fixed the problem.

From what I’ve read, you need a new turn signal switch, and it’s a real pain in the dick to get to (pull whole column apart, pull airbag AND steering wheel, etc). Will that cure this problem?

She is trying to sell the car in the next month or so, so I want to get this taken care of.

Thanks in advance boys.

It could be the Hazard Switch (with the Red Triangle), the Flasher unit (this is likely what they replaced before), or the Turn Signal Switch.

yes bad multi function switch

is the multi function switch just the turn signal/wiper stalk?

how much of a clusterfuck to change it?

yeah thats it … PITA on that car …

also check the relay/fuse box under the hood … they are VERY common to rot away on the bottom

damnit, i wish Don wasn’t busy this week, i don’t have the tools to do this.