A Quick Stupid Question

OK, this might be a stupid question but i was wondering: Why does popping the clutch in a car/truck when the key is turned to the on position after its rolling cause it to start?

cause its spinnin the motor over when all the elec is on , all your doin is bypassin the starter

because it turns the engine, just like the starter motor does normally.

acts as a starter. the car is moving but the motor is not when you engage the clutch it connect the motor and starts the motor. comprenda?

thanks for the question, no question is a stupid question!

now you know

I always wondered this too.

Spit out my Arnold Palmer :rofl :rofl :rofl

You can just popstart the MR2 anytime you like :eek2

If the tranny is in reverse, will it start the engine backwards?!

hmmmmm I would think so?

if i upgrade my flux capciter can i go back in time at 85 mph?

I do believe. Actually, that’s how Ski-Doo reverse works-you hit the button, it shuts down the motor and starts it backwards (srs).

if we hopped in my 88 mr2 and went 88 i think it would

when you turn the key to “start” the car the starter motor turns over the motor itself which has a toothed gear on it, which spins with the crank and tells the car " motor is spinning, start sending fuel and igniting the spark plugs" once that happens the spark plugs light the fuel and your car starts to run. when you take your hand off the key, the key kick backs and sits in acc.

cool trick, if you have never done it. drive on the highway, push and hold in clutch, turn off the key and pull it on with your foot still on the clutch. freak out your passenger then put the key back in the ignition and turn it to the position where it normally sits while your driving. DO NOT TURN OVER THE MOTOR! the engine will turn back on as normal and you can let off the clutch and continue driving.

No, don’t do that… steering lock FTL, and what happens if you drop the key on the floor?

I say this, because some waterhead back in high school did something similar. He had a shitty little amp running off his accessory wire. Short story, the amp would go into “protection” because he was usually beating the shit out of it, so he would turn the key back to shut accessory off. Well, one day he did just such and ran off the fuckin’ road due to the steering lock and lack of power brakes.

K bye.

No it won’t, because when your car is moving in reverse, the engine is still spinning in proper direction.

^ yeah but what if your rolling forward and pop start it in reverse? :rofl

:ponder

what if you’re below the equator since water drains the opposite way do engines run the opposite way?

What ever you do I would not suggest launching a car from rev limiter in reverse