AC Compressor removal/Installation (LS1 GTO)

Anyone ever do one before? It looks like it’s going to be a royal bitch… water pump will probably have to come out along with it.

Do you have any advice? I have never done one before and will more than likely be doing it myself.

Mine took a shit last summer and finally getting hooked up with a new one

By “taking a shit” what happened exactly? Did your AC just quit or will the magnetic clutch no longer engage or did it sound like a jar full of rocks when it was running? Depending on what happened it can either be no big deal or a PITA. If the insides of the compressor destroyed themselves you could have particles elsewhere stuck in the system then it becomes fun. If the magnetic clutch isn’t engaging did you make sure to check the relays and everything else first? If the A/C just quit on you did you check to make sure the refrigerant didn’t just leak out through an O-Ring somewhere. Give us a little more info before you dig in.

Nah, the clutch engages just fine and still blows cold air… just makes a bunch of noise. I’m pretty sure I wrecked the bearing in the snout, pulley and/or cylinder as the shaft/pulley has about 1-2" of play in it.

At the end of the summer, I got so sick of hearing it that I just cut the belt off. I’m not too worried about the rest of the system though as I’m almost positive that these compressors had a filter element in the discharge port. I’ll have to double check though

I was originally going to attempt just replacing the pulley/coil assembly, but the complete compressor and clutch assy was easier to get a hold of.