acceleration problem *solved* cat clogged

i mean boggy like does it ever hesitate? on idle or when ur accelerating?

its in the engine bay on the passenger side strut tower. If ur going to the niagara meet i can give u my 300zx fuel filter for like 5 bucks or something…i think its 10 at ct but if u can wait till then if not thats cool lol

no, at idle it sits fine and when i start to move there’s no hesitation just slow rpm climb
ill just buy one at ct, cause ill prob try that tomorrow, hopefully that works, thanks anyways

it could be alot of problems for bad accel. you probably have a exhaust leak but that wont overall giveu poor acceleration. how are your plugs? wires? are you putting crappy gas station gas in? like the watered down below 87 octaine gas? try throttle body cleaner some plugs fuel filter and check that exhaust leak. just a few things to check.

so i changed the fuel filter and no difference, i think it may be the catalytic converter because im not hearing my nice noice from my muffler anymore. so i guess ill change that tues after the holiday since i should have money by then.

wens the last time u changed ur gas filter?

a clogged gas filter can cause poor engine proformance

dude i just said i changed it, didnt do anything though:(

i got a stock cat for s13 you can have if u want to come get it

i work in oshawa on weekends how far away are you from there?

my buddy had the same problem when he had his old s13,
turns out, one or two of his cylinders were fried… so he was only getting half the engine power

hahaha thats what i didnt want to hear :(, well im taking it to the mechanics tues, hopefully they can tell me whats up. i had it in a while ago and the compression was good in all cyl. how did they figure out it was the cylinders?

Have you made sure your timing is at 20 degrees BTDC?

um don’t think its that cause its idling fine, I’m pretty sure now its the header, getting the gasket changed tomorrow or seeing if there’s an actual crack in the header it self

would a cracked header or a leak exhaust really slow you down that much? i could understand a clogged cat, the cat rusted off my car, so for about 4 days all i had was the header! the torque differance was amazing! i left it off and replaced it with another piece of pipe to try and keep some of those extra ponies! i don’t care to much about emisions, if it ever comes up i’ll fix it!! anywho, when my head gasket blew, i noticed a big drop in power, the rumble was gone, still idled fine and everything, i just had no power, not to mention the white smoke pouring out the back. but, if it is your head gasket and it’s not smoking, it could just not be as big of a blow out as mine. i noticed right away when the smoke started to pour out. is your car smoking at all, make sure u let it warm right up, b/c it wont smoke untill the car is warm.(overheating is usually an issue, but some cases not, my buddies firefly has had a blown headgasket for about 6 months, has no power, but it didn’t have any power to begin with!!)

car doesn’t overheat at all, and not a single puff of smoke. i can hear a small whistle noise (like air escaping under pressure) from the left side of my engine (where the header is) when accelerating. now I’m thinking it may be a combination of that and my cat. we will see tomorrow when i take it to the shop :D:D

how much did it run you to fix the head gasket anyways?

well, that hasn’t been fixed yet, but i checked at napa for a head gasket set(which you need) is 150+, i got mine on ebay for 70. (pre paid master card from moneymart) that saved me money, the guides on my timing are screwed for i got a timing set for like 50, i don’t remember, i would suggest changing these anyways b/c timing is everything in a motor, its all posted on here somewhere, all the shit i bought and how much i paid. but i havn’t actually gotten it fixed, i was quoted 860 from one garage, but that was before i bought all this stuff, so the at the gargae the price will come down. i suggest finding someone who knows what they are doing to do it to save u the 500$ in labour, i have a full manual with a tear down and rebuild of the ka24e. with the right tools and proper parts, it is something that could be done by urself. i have been told it was easier to pull the motor to change the gasket.

just pull the motor and get someone to rebuild it…way easier…get some forged pistons and stuff…get it port and polished. maybe do a turbo build and get a cometic head gasket instead…then slap a turbo on that biatch…If ur not going turbo i wouldnt recomment rebuilding a ka…expecially sohcs when people give them away for free…

that would be great to have, is there one for the de, where did you get it? :smiley:

turns out it was my stupid cat, im guessing the bad idle i had a couple weeks ago made mad vibration on the pipes. the inside of the cat got clogged at the back.

put a new stock one back on? or opt for the hi flow cat? my personal fav, take it off,leave it off!

I’ve had that happen before as well…

Thanks for sharing the solution! :slight_smile: