Why is my car so slow??

I was doing some timed 0-60mph runs and I am disappointed in my time, 9.6s. Thats slower then a stock 240 :s I have intake, headers and exhaust. There is some slight hesitation at around 2000 RPM then it accelerates, which is leading me to believe something is wrong with my MAFS.

Also when I use electrical accessories the RPM dips a bit and comes back up. Maybe need new grounds or alternator?

I am curious to see what my compression is like so I will do a compression test to see if thats why.

Do you think there is any other possible causes to the slowness?

Thanks!

insert corny V-tech joke here.

Maybe your car is a little bit retarded.

Thanks for reminding me :stuck_out_tongue: I’m gonna check the timing!

how big is your exhaust tubing?
how many km on the motor?
hows your clutch?
do you suck at driving?
are you fat?
when did you do a basic tuneup?

GT

How does it peform when its cold? My 240 runs smooth and quick when its cold, but once it warms up, its sluggish from 1-2rpm then 4.5-5.5rpm. Leads me to believe that the Catalytic converter is the cause.

how big is your exhaust tubing? 3"
how many km on the motor? 186,000km
hows your clutch? Good
do you suck at driving? Not really.
are you fat? Yes.
when did you do a basic tuneup? 6 months ago

I got 3" exhaust with the intention of going turbo when I have the money. From what I read the difference of 2.5" vs 3" on our cars does not make a big difference.

My cat is brand new so I don’t think thats an issue.

Correct me if im wrong but it does?

-Did you replace cap and rotor during tune up?
-Did you gap your plugs properly?

• Fuel filter?
    -Timing, timing, timing

Those were all big issues when i got my car which helped alot in the performance. If your car is still slow after adressing all those concenes(sp?)
then id start looking deeper into things as you said

ur time sucks lol!

I used to do timed 0-100km runs and the best i ever had was just under seven secands. it was like 6.9 or something. Thats with a SOHC rebuilt the head was done, i had intake no cat, and a 2.5 inch exhaust. No spare tire and stock suspension. I also had a complete tune up with new wires plugs cap rotor etc etc. The timing was also advanced and i only used 94 or 91 in it. That was a year and a half ago and most were done on cooler nights.

I tested all sensors and they are all to spec. No trouble codes from ECU. Compression test gave me 150 psi on all cylinders, that would explain the slowness?

Things I did were set the timing, clean grounds and clean throttle body. That made the engine smoother and got rid of some hesitation but its still slow and my idle is still rough. This leads me to believe I have a vacuum leak somewhere or IACV is clogged.

When I have time I am going to remove the intake manifold to clean it and remove some useless crap like the swirl control valves.

ur 150psi would give u an idea…thats what sr’s are at…a ka is more like 180psi…My sohc was 190psi across the board. a stock KA below 175 is toast

not really, anything less than 130 is toast, 150 is just well used… however the car will still run down to 110 without misfiring or shaking

I was thinking of going KA-T but with low compression numbers like that I think that there is no point now. For the same amount of money to rebuild my KA and turbo it I could get an SR with less mileage. To make as much power as KA-T it will cost more in the end but if I go SR but it will be more reliable in the long run. For the time being I will fix the idle issue and consider saving money for SR and turbo upgrade. If I go SR I want 260-300WHP, do you think that will be reliable on a stock SR block?

Also the Redtop S13 SR is about $200 cheaper then the Blacktop S13 SR engine. Both motors make the same amount of power in stock form. Is the only advantage of S13 Blacktop that its newer and more likely lower mileage or is there more to it? Sorry for the noob SR questions but I am just looking into that possibility now.

Thanks!

How long ago was it since you checked your PCV Valve?

breed, not everyone has the same problem you did lolz

I put in a new PCV valve a few months ago.

Talk to Gonad. He should be able to tell you why.

I think the joke is on you, since you can’t even spell Vtec correctly.

wow, nobody asked what size/type of tires your running?

Running stock tire size 205/60R/15.