All Terrain (AT) Tires (BFG vs. General)

I realize that wider tires aren’t as optimal in the snow, but think the much more aggressive tread pattern should more than make up for the extra width. I do not have the TRD off-road package. Just a base Regular cab 4x4 manual trans with the 2.7L 4 cyl.

Ah ok, never looked at the steelies to know that they were 16" as well, was figuring they were 15" or something.

The tread should help even with a wider tire. I ran Size: 265/65R17 General Grabber HTS (wow those are expensive now) all year round and the traction was fine even during the winter, basically the size you were talking about going to as far as the width goes. Plus with the regular cabs shorter wheelbase it should be a lot less likely to get stuck in snow. :slight_smile:

Edit: Was curious to see the size difference.

Specification  Sidewall  Radius  Diameter  Circumference  Revs/Mile  Difference
265/65-17         6.8in  15.3in    30.6in         96.0in        660        0.0%
265/75-16         7.8in  15.8in    31.6in         99.4in        637        3.6%

So, a tad bit bigger diameter, but should still be fine to fit in the wheel well and not rub.

BF’s are over rated. Revo’s are good tires, same with general and cooper. I have hankook dynapro’s on my jeep and really like them. Same as all of the above, good wear, not a lot of noise. Great in the snow and light off-road.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/tires/hankook/product/byName.do?tmn=DynaPro+ATM+RF10&typ=Truck%2FSUV

http://www.pepboys.com/tires/details/Definity/Dakota+AT/9509443/

These aren’t bad and they’re cheap too.

I just got some discoverer m/s for the ss silverado for winter tires, I’ve heard really good things about 'em

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/mtt-5253_cp.jpg
I had these Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ’s on my FJ cruiser and LOVED them. They weren’t loud and wore well. They worked extremely well in the snow

^Now that’s a tire with some sac!

Does anyone know anything about the Nokian Rotiiva AT?

http://avtobot.by/Images/images/nokian%20rotiiva%20at%201.jpg

I know Nokian makes damn good tires. I’m just wondering if anyone had first hand experience with this particular tire.

Goodyear duratracs!

Wish I would’ve seen these before I bought my Falkens.

BUMP!

Looking for updated advice on AT tires.

I’m ditching the rapper-size wheels on my RR (275/45/R21) and going with an 18" so I can fit some good AT tires. Deciding what to use is actually a bit trickier than I thought.

Currently considering the BFG KO2 and the Yokohama X-AT.

The KO2’s come in 265/60R18 which is damn near close to matching the overall size of what I have now… except with 29% more sidewall, lol. From what I’ve read this is an older tire, but still pretty much top of it’s class. And it looks great. I hear these are the factory tires on the Raptor? @Tbirdsc1 might have some input on them?

The X-AT’s are brand new (went on sale this August '19) and sound / look awesome… however I’d need to add a 2" lift to fit them since they only come in limited sizes right now. 285/65R18 is what I’d run. I don’t really want to do the lift, but it’s not difficult.

I want an aggressive looking tire, but I’m not willing to go to an MT. And 90% of what I do is highway. I’ve seen some recommendations here for the Bridgestone Dueler Revo (now Revo 3) but I guess they look too much like “normal” tire. I had an amazing experience with the Dueler HT that I’m not totally counting out the brand.

I’ll be the only person on the internet (that I can find) running 18" wheels on my truck so it needs to look good, lol.

Goodyear duratrac not an option?

Didn’t consider them, looking now.

Man I loved the Revo’s back when I had them on my Expedition. Put them on a few weeks before the Oct storm and I was the only SUV getting up and down my street, across yards and pretty much anywhere I wanted to go. Meanwhile the other pickups and SUV’s on all seasons couldn’t even make it down the tracks I had already laid down.

So the Duratrac is categorized as a “commercial” tire… why’s that? I can’t seem to find a direct answer.

I’d be REALLY careful about A/Ts and highway driving, especially in a higher end SUV like a RR. With the SUV being so quiet if you get some highway hum from those tires there will be nothing else to mask it. That was what drove me to the Revo’s… Everyone said they were aggressive but still quiet on the highway.

Most of them are LT rated aka 10-12 ply. Very stiff tire. I’ve heard nothing but good things about them from friends who have them. Good tread wear, good in snow and good on dirt/mud.

1 Like

I’m not too concerned about road noise. I’m running Pirelli’s now that are close to the wear bar on a pair, one that is nearly toast and one that was smoked by a chunk of sheet metal on the 190 the other night. I can barley hear them inside the cabin since the truck is insulated very well. The Pirelli’s are supposed to be very loud when worn down.

This was the damage:

I’ve had two sets of Goodyear Duratracs before and BFG KO1 and now a set of KO2’s. Duratracs look very aggressive if you’re going for the look, they are surprisingly quiet and comfortable for a very aggressive tire too. Awesome snow traction. Put 20k on one set and they were still quiet and had 3/4 life left. Only got ~35k out of last set and they were starting to get noisy and cupping. The KO1’s I got 60k out and they were still quiet. Hopefully the KO2’s keep up that reputation. KO2 are quieter than Duratracs and just as good in the winter in my opinion. If you get a load E tire just run them at your normal tire pressure (35-45 etc) and they won’t ride super stiff.

My opinion if you’re just going for looks, will see mostly highway go with KO2’s, its a better all around tire for a DD than the Duratrac.

1 Like

I had nitto terra grapplers on my RRS and loved them. 285/50/20, I had slight rubbing at full lock in the lowest height setting. There was no real difference in road noise on the highway. My new truck with duratracks is a lot louder. The only downside was that because I went so big they werent the best in slushy snow, but in “dry” snow or deep snow that truck seemed unstopable.
IMG_1223

1 Like