All Terrain (AT) Tires (BFG vs. General)

This is something I’m worried about with going too large of a tire. I use the access height a lot for parking ramps, etc. I still need to be able to maneuver.

I had Duratrac 285/70R17 on my Jeep. Good look, functional but not too aggressive so I could still hear myself think on the highway.
If I remember they had both commercial and non-commercial tire.

Yeah this again. So it look like commercial is going to have a stiffer ride and is intended more for heavy loads. It might last a bit longer, but from what I’ve read that’s debatable.

I run LT Terra Grapplers on my truck. Love em. They are one of the lightest LT tires that I was able to find, in that size.

The Terra Grapplers just don’t look as good IMO as the KO2.

These are the wheels I’m getting. Same color, but using different LR center caps. Shown with KO2’s:

I’ve just started to compare this and wow does this tire category differ a lot with weight.

I was originally planning to do KO2 through Costco, but they wouldn’t install the larger size on aftermarket wheels.

Right, and heavy tires will RUIN your MPGs. I went from factory 20s with 32" P tires to 18" Methods with 33.25" tires and ended up staying around the same weight WITH going up to an LT tire.

completely agree that they look nowhere as aggressive as KO2 or duratracks. That setup you posted looks great, especially with green on black center caps. I think i have a spare set if you ever lose one.

Thanks @LUC1F3R but I’m going to keep the black ones that I already have.

Here’s a PS with the approximate wheel/tire size on my actual RR, with corrected center caps. Now I think this looks good, but at the same time I’m told it also makes the truck look cheaper… Which I’m pretty much over.

It’s your car so do what you want but IMO that looks pretty bad. Are you going to be off roading? Not sure I get making a luxury SUV look like that. Maybe if you were going all out with brush bars, roof rack and a lift but just the small rims and knobby tires looks out of place. JMHO

Yeah it’s quite the change visually but I plan to try it out. The wheels are actually an off road racing wheel, not some purely decorative thing. They’re light weight too, so with the right tire I may actually have less unsprung weight than I do now:

https://www.comp.co.uk/

… If I ever start gutting my interior to save weight someone smack me, lol.

I really like the look, but If it were me I’d do two things.Go slightly larger on the tires to really exaggerate the look and have the wheels color matched to the silver body molding that runs down the side. Or maybe gloss black.

Im running KO2’s on my Sierra LT275/55-20 and also had them on my F150. Fantastic in the snow, in the rain its easy to break loose from a stop but catch traction pretty fast. My biggest complaint is for some reason i’ve had a hard time getting them balanced 100%. On the highway im good till about 75 then get a vibration, it was the same with my F150. I’ve had them balanced multiple times but because of that I wont buy another set. My next set will probably be cooper AT3’s

1 Like

Can’t go larger on the tires unless I raise the truck. I’m just not into that just yet. It would make access height useless.

I won’t go with black wheels. I don’t know what it is, but it seems like everyone is going with black wheels. They’re everywhere. The wheel company does offer powder coating to whatever color you want, but I think I’ll stick with the dark grey and see how I like it. I can always get the color changed locally.

I could always go with yellow, lol

MY opinion - the Coopers are heavy and a downgrade.

@Onyx_Z32 have you seen Ridge Grapplers? They’re becoming really popular as an aggressive tire, but they might not come in the size you’re looking for, as they are an LT tire.

I hadn’t, just looked. They’re pretty light and do have the size I need, but they don’t have a 3PMSF rating (snow) like the KO2 :thinking:

My obligatory recommendation is the Falken Wildpeak AT3W (or the Rubitrek, which I think may have a slight lateral snow advantage), they have a 30 day ride guarantee so if you don’t like them, then return them…

For the LT sizes K02 and K02 DT are going to be one of the best, when ran on 3/4 and 1 tons at recommended pressure, but they are lacking when compared to P sized tires ran at lower pressures (dry steering conditions, wet braking, and ride comfort).

So P sizes, Cooper AT3 4S, Pirelli Scorpion A/T Plus, Toyo Open Country II (and the respective Nitto counterpart), and Hankook Dynapro RFT11 (not too aggressive) are all good alternatives. Between them and the Falkens there are trade-offs and benefits of each, but unless you are doing same day back to back quantitative testing you may not notice.

Goodyear Duratrac (and Cooper S/T Maxx) are commercial traction, so if you are running up and down gravel fire service roads all day they are a good choice as the compound has more chip and tear resistance, dry road performance is lacking.

1 Like

So for those recommending the Duratrac’s, I got to see a few sizes in person this weekend. And they also look much more aggressive in person than they do online. They were all on Jeeps and all in sizes way bigger than I’m looking for, lol. Unfortunately I didn’t get to ride on them.

I was able to ride on a set of KO2’s that my brother in law put on his truck. We got up to speed and was like “yeah you can tell they’re a bit noisy at speed” and honestly they were no louder than the worn Pirelli tires I have now. And he randomly drove through a field to show me how they did off-road. It was surprisingly smooth going, but again I have no experience with tires like this.