Almost have my custom suspension finished on my Saturn

What’s up guys just wanted to give everybody an update or if you have no idea about my situation I’ll give you a little rundown. Okay but promise not to laugh… I drive a 1994 Saturn SC1. I bought the car when I was like 16 years old because I was in a tight spot and I needed a way to get to school and back but I always had this weird fascination of lowering this car. So I searched for years and finally found some H and R springs in the middle of bumble fuck nowhere. Put the springs on and it lowered the car about 2 1/2 inches in the front and just under 2 inches in the rear after everything settled. And I rocked it for a while don’t get me wrong it’s a very ugly car but if you think about it you don’t see many of them around their great on gas the relatively reliable and what I like about it most is its unique characteristics. A.k.a. the entire body of the car is made out of plastic to save weight. not the safest thing in the world but I guess you never have to worry about rust. Now about six months after locking the springs for a while it was time to try to go lower. I have a good friend of mine who drives one of the nicest Lexuses I think of ever seen it’s a 1999 Lexus GS 400 slammed to the floor. Long story short he has a little more knowledge of aftermarket suspension products. And at this point now I’ve searched for years for the springs just happen by luck to find them in a tire rack warehouse in Tennessee have them shipped over. So I thought my options were pretty much depleted. And yes I really consider doing this… But I was going to heat my lowering springs to achieve about another inch drop all the way around… I had it all set up I was going to bring into a buddy of mine shop was good have it for a couple hours heat up the springs and just lower the car until he thought it was just over undrivable because that’s what I wanted. Stupid right. Then I’m poking around on YouTube and find this guy Who had an older model Nissan Maxima and it was aggressively lowered not slammed to the floor or undrivable like I was going to but his method of lowering his car was very unconventional. He used a coil spring clamp… Also known as a spring booster to make this space between the coil of the spring larger it’s mostly meant for older model vans or a work truck with the sagging suspension and you don’t want to dump a bunch of money into it. When I first saw it I thought it was probably dumber than heating the springs… But I really gave it a thought and called my local auto parts store and they had two in stock as in two packages of them which come in a set of four packs so there is two Spring clamps per side… So I bought them and I’m planning to put them on this weekend… And to be completely honest I’m really nervous about it I don’t know how it’s going to be possible for me to even attach these to Mike already lowered lowering springs that are fully settled… Or how many going to manage to drive a car with one set of coils touching each other in the middle like how is that going to even ride?? Well if you guys are interested I’ll keep you posted… And thanks for reading cause this is been a very weird and unconventional journey for me and my car.

wtf is going on lately with Saturns, I can’t tell if this is spam or serious. If the thread was in some type of organized fashion I’d read more than the title. Regardless I’m not reading.

Totally serious:

http://www.nyspeed.com/showthread.php?242886-Need-help-suggestions-for-custom-suspension!!

Apparently the H&R’s didn’t get it close enough to the “floor”

wtf lol.

No spam lol check my profile just my story so far

May have better luck here:

http://sixthsphere.com/content.php?

Good luck, lol.

Um just get ebay coil overs?

Not enough but it does handle alot better then stock springs a little bouncy at times but im not complaining

• Updated - - -

I considered it but im not that desperate lol

• Updated - - -

Actually let me ask you a quick question how would you describe an eBay coil over like a universal fit coil over that amount since your perch basically complete replacement for your stock struts. Or is it the coil over sleeve style because I looked into that but I just didn’t understand how it works how a piece of metal will just sit on top of my strut perch and wiggle around completely as I’m driving I don’t know if that’s even possible to do and/or if it’s any safe

I’m sorry, but could you please post pics of these “spring clamps”.

Compressing springs so some of the coils are no longer “active” will reduce the effective length of the spring and will also increase the spring rate. The advantage of this vs. cut springs is that the pigtail will seat better in the strut / shock surface.

I’ve wanted to try something similar this on a LeMons car, but haven’t gotten around to it yet. Two methods that I have thought of would be just to use a spring compressor and torch, or several hose clamps. Not for the slam, but for the increased spring rate.

Do you see how the use of the “Enter” key helps once and a while.

Hey no problem I will throw a pick up once I am out of work

And I do apologize about the lack of enter

But would you be able to elaborate about the hose clamps and never heard a method like that

Neither have I, but I figured that one could “deaden” a coil or two by using several hose clamps and compressing the spring.

There are some spring rate calcs here:

Meh… It’s a 1994 Saturn SC1.

Clamp those front springs together and just torch the rear springs. There sure are some disadvantages, but are you really going to even notice…

Heres a link to exactly what i purchased

http://m.autozone.com/autozone-mobile/en/accessories/Superior-Automotive-Spring-Lox-boosters/_/N-4ahq?id=541730

• Updated - - -

Was just guna say fuck it and clamp all 4 springs

But truly i would notice it and it would annoy the hell outa me ya know. But thanks for the advice man it means alot

won’t the spring boosters RAISE the height of the car while also increasing the spring rate, not lowering it?

Well its funny because on the package it holds 2 purposes to spread the coils farther apart to raise the car or to clamp them shut hence lowering the car

I remember when Mike and SDA were still around. I got to rip a few of cars they built, a lot of fun to drive. The SuperCharged white SC was quick.

Yup, then they sold the white car to me as a roller. Good people. I still talk to them every so often.

Lisa is one of my best friends, known her since we were teenagers. We’ve probably crossed paths a few times.

Did you have a GTP back in the day? I always remember her talking about her friend Jay with a GTP lol. Talked to her last week actually.

Yeah had the gtp for a while

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk