lowering car via heating springs

i have KYB GR2s but i have stock springs on them… i want to know if i can heat the springs and compress them so the car will go lower and the KYBs can handel lowing cause there made for lowering springs that are that size anyways right?

Don’t be ghey and heat your springs. It’s dangerous, inconsistant, and looks like ass. Just save up the $3-500 and get lowering springs.

go on ebay if you want to be cheap and grasb oyurself a set of springs for like $100

And I am the idiot? You’re awesome.

(ref: http://www.son240sx.org/forums/showpost.php?p=267664&postcount=6)

[QUOTE=Jammin1911;267682]You’re awesome.QUOTE]

i am awsome rnt i =)

glad to know others think so to.

Uhg.

Someone had a set for sale on here for like $125, do yourself a favour and buy those.

or buy a honda :dunno:

Oh, and GR2’s are stock replacements, they may seem to handle lowering springs better then stock shocks because their not 15+ years old and on their way out, but they are meant to be paired with stock springs.

i think it is more about if they can properly handle the spring rate over just being lower.

and??? can they? this is all new to me i just fix things lol

heating springs is wicked badass… i say do it lots.

yeah seriously, heat the spring, and cut a coil or 2 and you are a PIMP
but in seriousness, Trevor mention their is a guy selling a set of lowering springs for $125.

Clayz already sold them, I offered fastback240 to help him purchase them for a lower price because Clayz owed me, but he cheaped out.

What position are you in to be calling others Jews. Fucking hippocrite.

partially, but it’s mostly the ride height

the shock is built for a certain travel, if you put super short springs on a shock intended for stock ride height it will explode. that’s only in an extreme case of WAY over lowering it.

wtf i cant explain anything properly right now its 6:20am :frowning:

Hey, I’ve done it before but it is a pretty long process especially if you’re doing all 4 springs. Cause first of all, you need a spring compressor to get all the springs off.

And then you’re going to need a pretty big vice (to compress) the springs… so you need one that can fit a really large spring. The rears are really long.

1. Get one of those portable propane tanks with those brass nozzles ($10 at walmart)

2. Remove all 4 springs from your car using a Spring Compressor (can be rented at Canadian tire or partsource…just need to give them a $100 deposit if I remember correctly)

3. I’d recommend getting some welders gloves to handle the springs when they are REALLY hot.

4. Start heating up each spring. Do it one at a time… It will probably take a good 6 minutes to get it really hot…

5. Once the springs are glowing red, using the gloves obviously, grab it and then put it into the vice.

6. Start compressoring the vice all the way untill the spring is fully compressed.

7. Leave the spring compressed like that untill it fully cools down.

8. Make sure the spring is cool and then you can reinstall it.

To be honest though. Doing this will only lower it by an inch an a half MAX… so I don’t know if all this work is worth it to you. If I were you, I’d just buy a new set of lowering springs. Saves a lot of time that’s for sure.

Good luck

Just put bags of sand in your car at all four corners, it’ll slam it real good.

I suggest not doing that. Doing that will add a lot of weight and that will affect your car’s braking and acceleration. It’s also not a good idea in the spring.

If I were you, I’d heat the spring properly or buy a new set of lowering springs. I highly recommend buying a new set of lowering springs though.

mark you are such a fag… most people will not get that you are joking.

how about the fact that you cant heat and compress each spring equally, therefore you will have differnt ride height and different stiffness etc. etc. at all four corners.

then my question is that if you have the money to rent a spring compressor and then you have 4-5 hours to do all this bullshit… how can you not have $200 to buy an actual set of lowering springs?

i new a guy who heated springs in a 300zx years ago but it was because there was nothing available for the car at the time.

cutting and heating is soooo obsolete. you can get Tein springs for like $200 brand new now.

point being that if i dont have to fork out the 200 bucks why do it? if i can just heat the springs and compress them why not do it? i have an oxi torch and a b-tank as i am a plumber and use them everyday i have a shop to do it all in and everything. i was just going to jack up the car and put the jack under the controll arm and a stand under somwhere else 2 inches lower than the body, heat the springs and wait for the weight of the car to compress them for me… once it hits and lays on the stand it will have lowered the car that much… evenly troughout all 4 springs… i know this will work as iv done it before question being will the KYBs take it or will they blow up on me??

thanks for all your input everyone.

take em right out. thats how i ride straight strut baby

the kyb’s will be fine if you lower it 1.5" or so…

still, i highly recommend you dont do it - it’s dangerous and will have negative effects on your road handling as the spring rates will not all only be different than each other like bing mentions but completely wrong for the car.

This is why 240 owners get a bad rep. If you can’t afford $200 to lower your car, then you DON’T DESERVE TO DRIVE A LOWERED CAR. Has that ever occured to you?