Amherst Police - Sick a duck.

i guess heed your own advice then and stay out of town.

Dude, and this was after you got a ticket for ‘loud exhuast’ the other day? whats up with that, bad luck lately.

:cjerk: @ all the crying about the Amherst guys. They are a good bunch of cops with the exception of a couple.

i’ve been pulled over a couple times by amherst and they’ve been cool to me. All it takes in one dick i guess, the same goes for uncertain homosexuals.

I heart most of APD

like most other depts. there are some bad eggs…but whatevs…

…just got my test results backkkk…hopefully I will be joining the ranks…you are all screwed.

They are dick suckers. I am far from young and recently got the very same crap (but with no infraction and no ticket) coming home from the hospital late one night. There were NO other cars on the road (Millersport) at 2am, but I “wandered over the centerline”, and BTW I saw the cop the whole time (he was like 10 car lengths behind in the other lane) and I did NOT cross the center line. He was looking for an excuse to stop someone. Then there was the time I was driving with my (at the time) 8yo daughter and an off duty Amherst cop who reeked of alcohol (and was driving) decided I was driving “erratically”. I ended up with a bullshit ticket for “unsafe operation” and filed a formal complaint. The complaint was two parts - that the officer appeared intoxicated (was told “cops can drink when they are off duty”, well WTF - he was DRIVING) and that he got physical with me (grabbed my harm hard enough to bruise and shoved me). I was told that was because I appeared “threatening”. The way they handled the complaint was laughable. When I told them (the overpaid Chief) I wasn’t satisfied and wanted to take it further. He told me that “I answer to no one, there is nothing else you can do”. I was like “WTF, did I fall asleep and wake up in a third world Police State”. If I had all the time and money in the world, I guess I could have tested that notion. But as I have neither the time or money, guess what, they got away with it*. It opened my eyes to what must happen to people who are guilty of “driving while black”. If that shit happened to me, it must be an order of magnitude worse for someone who is a poor minority type.

BTW: before the first incident I was a big defender of the po-po. Brought up to respect authority and all that. It was an eye opener. I guess I was being naive and in a way, the bunker mentality is understandable. But this is not fucking Detroit where officers are getting shot at all the time and dealing with crack whores. It’s fucking Amhherst - do you ever look at the police blotter: “investigated noise in backyard, possible intruder, found squirrel in trash can”. I am an overweight, out of shape, middle aged professional white guy, and if they feel they need to swing their cop-dicks at me, imagine how they over-react to someone who is actually a threat? They would probably run and hide. Guys who always want you to “respect my authoritay” (a la Cartman) are usally cowardly douche bags. If anything really happened here in Amherst, they would most likely keep their overpaid asses out of it until the shooting stopped (a la Columbine) rather than risk their life time pensions with fully paid health care. Just let us arm ourselves and we don’t need no fucking police, IMHO.

*Also, there was a veiled threat when I implied I wanted it to go farther, something about how important it is to “stay on the good side” of the cops. Frankly, I was a little scared and I am not someone who scares easy.

interesting post with some valid insight… :tup:

ummm the police blotter is just that…the odd stuff they deal with, no the real stuff…

and if you don’t treat every encounter with someone the same, you are going to end up getting hurt.

yes the VERY large majority of what happens in Amherst is small stuff…but all it takes is one incident where you are not paying attention, or slacking off or whatever, and you can end up with a bullet in your head.

Interesting knowing that you aren’t some douchebag kid with tinted windows and a fart can. I’ve been pulled over a few times in Amherst and the cops were cool. One was definitely upset but without going into details I deserved it. :slight_smile:

And they’ve been at my house once when we had smoke in the basement. < 1 minute response time and the officer was a good guy.

I suppose it only takes a couple assholes to really give a bad rep to a whole department.

It was not the incident itself that was so much a mind boggling eye opener, it was the lack of serious response to my complaint. When was the last time an Amherst cop took a fatal bullet? Ever happen? Cowards behind the badge, IMHO.

ummm yeah partly because of good training…

shit my father was APD and has had several times where he could have been shot…

There was the guy that came at officers with a knife a year or so ago and they shot him. Other than that I can’t think of any violence against APD officers that has made the news in the last couple years.

Maybe if more APD officers made terrible decisions like those two BPD “hero” officers who got shot there would be more APD officer shootings.

I Googled it. Two deaths “in the line of duty” in Amherst. One heart attack (which would have happened anyway) and one “vehicular assault”.

Date of Incident: Monday, January 29, 1990
Weapon Used: Automobile; Alcohol involved
Suspect Info: Not available
Lieutenant Adamy was killed when a drunk driver struck his vehicle, which in turn struck a utility pole.

If memory serves, the officer WASN’T PROPERLY RESTRAINED? I will Google it later. That’s it. My job is more dangerous and I don’t get to carry a gun and protect myself.

So what, because Amherst is a pretty safe town the cops should only carry pepper spray? Sure, some of the reason there haven’t been APD shootings is Amherst is a pretty safe place. But on the flip side of that Amherst is a pretty safe place because of the large APD presence.

Were you pulled over off NFB last night around 930ish? There was someone on a side street behind the yings plaza that looked like it was pretty eventful.

One situation started out where a mother emailed into where we work asking about her son which she hasn’t talk to in over 6 months. He was suppose to be home 3 months ago. He no longer attended the school. So I made some calls first to the on campus police which directed me appropriately to Amherst.

I made the call over to amherst with all the information from the campus police, including the students address, and personal phone number. I was told they would take care of it. I also gave them the contact info for the concerned Mother so they would be able to let them know they are looking into it.

A few weeks later we get another email asking about the where abouts to her son. Amherst never bothered to update the mother on their progress from what it seems.

So I call Amherst again, and asked If I could get an update so I could forward it on to the mother. I was told something like we’ll get around to it. ITS BEEN TWO WEEKS.

If I was this parent I’m sure I would be upset about my son missing. Kind of ridiculous IMO.

I still don’t know if they have done anything about it. We haven’t been contacted by the concerned mother again, so hopefully its taken care of. 2 weeks though of not knowing what happened to your son …

^ What do you do? Why is this concerned mother not dealing with the police herself?

I worked with an Amherst cop for the Ice Bowl, great guy. I’ve gotten pulled over once in Amherst, I have 20% tint in front 5% in back mind you, and have never gotten a ticket. I got puled over at 4:30ish in the morning after being the DD. I wasn’t doing anything wrong and knew he was on a side street and pulled out behind me.

He pulled me over pulled up next to me, and as soon as I put my window down he says" oops wrong car" :bloated:. So he said sorry and went pulled up to the intersection. I got up next to him at the red light and started asking him questions about how he got in and for some advice. Ended up shooting the shit for about 5 min. Someone was behind us and the light turned green and he said don’t worry about it, talked until it turned green a second time.

Whoever was behind us was pissed as hell and was honking every now and then. Cop I was talking too blurts out “If that fucker doesn’t stop honking i’m going to write a whole book of tickets for them.”

APD get a :tup: in my book.

Yes, sounds very professional.

Most police officers don’t buckle up. If they have to get out and go after someone it makes it considerably easier and saves time. During a Buffalo ride along the officer told me don’t bother because if we have to run you need to get out asap. We ended up having a serious call and doing 100 through C District and driving over lawns and on the wrong side of the street… IT FUCKING ROCKED :headbang:

Please tell me you are serious. If you are I will explain why you deserve a backhand.