Analyze this dyno run!

vehicle is a DOHC Neon 2.0L

one of the guys i tlak to on another forum keeps me (and i keep him) updated on our identical setups (hahn portufler stage 5)

redline is suppossed to be at 7250 for him (6750 for me, i have a sohc)
we btoh have the same fuel setup with our hahn portfuler apporx. 700ccs of fuel, and at the time of the fucked up reading, his wideband was still reading rich

hes thinking it has something to do with the ignition but he still hasto do some final tweaking

here’s a couple of things he wrote me:

"I’m going to drop the MSD DIS-II on the car next. I will know for sure at that point if I’m running out of fuel from my pump. I don’t think I’m there yet though. My wideband was still reading rich at the time. I was also told that I may be blowing out spark and that I should gap the plugs closer. I will be doing that when I add the MSD as well.

Yes, the upper RPM’s were a little scary. I really hope the MSD smooths that out. I’d really to make use of the extra rpm’s.

I don’t remember my wastegate hitting my alternator. I just swapped my alternator last weekend. I had to take the upper and lower bracket off to get it up in place though, then put them back on. There isn’t a lot of room in there. I’ll take another look when I get under the car this weekend. I’m going to weld up a flange to the exhaust then the car should be driveable again.

The other thing I may have had issues with is intake temperature. I’ve got a bigger intercooler and bigger piping that I hope will lower the temperatures a bit. I haven’t installed those yet and probably won’t get around to it for awhile. The MSD will come first. "

hes got about 1700 rpms left which could easily make close to another 100WHP

any thoughts?

looks like a 3 year old drew it…

did u try giving him a reach around… oh wait what was the question?

looks like ignition problems…

i wouldnt throw lots of $$ parts at it. id just try replacing the coil pack with a known good one or a new one and plugs and wires. mopar ignitions are usually pretty good. at least mine is. i dont get spark blowout till well over 25psi

brian

def appreciate the feedback

at the same time though the MAP wouldnt freak out at any certain given point would it? i would assume after passing one pound of boost with the map clamp it would be fine for every other pound it gained

ignition issues, you can see that the dyno was having a hard time reading RPM @ the upper range… hence the “loop”

dawt.

hondas graphs look like that when the igniter is on its last legs

:word:

New coil + heatshield would be my first try. Turbo neons like to cook coils from the heat, but a simple piece of alum or steel as a reflector keeps the coil cool enough to last.

a fuel pressure gauge will indicate if he is running out of fuel.

looks like ignition.

hes got about 1700 rpms left which could easily make close to another 100WHP
I don’t know about that, heh.

Its definitely breaking up, up top though, what PCM is it? Maybe too much timing. I’d confirm that it has enough fuel too, what were the afrs?

–mark

def thanks for all the input guys

the A/F was at 12.5, it is a STOCK PCM which is what all hahn products work off of, the port fueler kicks on when it sense boost, he said there was plenty of fuel, maybe 100WHP is a little high lol, but he def could of been at 350WHP, 1700 rpms is a LOT to go

its not fuel related, if it was fuel related it would stop making power, but the graph has loops and valleys, which is an ignition pickup/breakup issue with the car/dyno

Turbo will start to fall on its face though, very soon. 12.5 is too lean for most people, especially at stock timing. Its safer than a performance n/a pcm though, those add even more timing, and the stock flat pistons just can’t take it.

I hope he is careful, I would guess that that severe breaking up, combined with 12.5 afr is leading to some serious detonation. If he went to a meth injection setup, it would cool the temps, let the turbo run more effeciently, and provide the fuel that he needs to get his afrs down into a safer range.

I personally run 11.7 - 12.3 afr range, but I trust my setup, and know what makes the power. If my dyno looked like that I’d be adding as much fuel as I can, to see if it fixes it.

–mark

Somewhat true, but with an afr of 12.5 and a surprisingly steep power curve, I would not be surprised if it wasn’t at least partially due to fuel.

my BAD it was 12.0:1 AF, its a built motor with forged rods pistons crane valvetrain indy valves etc. UDP lightened flywheel blah blah blah

he is also switching to a bigger intercooler to hopefully reduce intake temps

neonglh, hes fundtim on the big org just to let you know, he told me he wants to put on a mopar pcm to extend the redline but idk how hes gonna pull back the timing, im guessing hte MSD

Thats not that bad of an idea. He needs to get a clean dyno and see if he makes power up that high. If he can make power to redline, then it would be worth looking into extending it further, but with most setups you see, the turbo runs out of efficiency (at least with stock cams) before redline, so increasing it won’t really do anything for him. So… if he gets the breakup issue fixed, he can see what it does and go from there.

I have yet to see a really well setup portefuler kit, so this will be cool if he can get it right.

That’s where VTEC kicked in yo.

lol he better get it right! im doing mine when school let out in the next 3 weeks =)

im thinking of doing the same with the mopar pcm on my SOHC but my crane cam according to specs end at 6800 so im still doing a lili research on whats worth doing what

and the VTEC NEVER KICKED IN, lol jk