And out comes the motor

Well, last night was pretty fun in the garage, me and marshall (97FormulaWS-6) decided to lift the car, and pull the motor. It has had a little bit of an oil leak from one of the cyl. so what better way to fix it than tear it down, and bring the motor indoors to be cleaned up and :snky:'d Oh, and the interior sorta vanished to make room for the cage install.

Here are a few shots after we lifted the car, and lowered it back down minus motor. It would have been real nice to have a garage with a lift in it, but instead we just jacked the front of the car up using an engine hoist, rolled the motor out, and lowered safely back down with no major issues.

Pics:
http://www.diamonddetailing.biz/gallery/albums/album02/PC290020.sized.jpg

http://www.diamonddetailing.biz/gallery/albums/album02/PC290017.sized.jpg

The Flinstone powered bird:
http://www.diamonddetailing.biz/gallery/albums/album02/PC290018.sized.jpg

All in all it only took a few hours to get it out, and tear it all apart (no pics from the tear down :frowning: ) Now all thats left to do is haul it all into the basement where we will have lots more room to work on everything.

goodluck with your project :tup:

:tup:

comeon some kinda of hinter about the motor and what point cage will u be getting

Well… The car has 97K on it, and was getting tired, or feeling like it… I spent the summer trying to track down a mysterious oil leak that I couldn’t find, and it started blowing a small amount of blue smoke out the sidepipes, so I figured before I :tspry: it, I better check things out.

Found the oil-pressure sensor was leaking as well as the intake and a bad head-gasket; also found an OIL-SOAKED clutch; explains why it was slipping soooo badly this summer.

It’s already got a Strange 12-bolt in it with BMR sub’s and T/A, and custom rod-ended LCA’s and PHR and Denny’s NR DS; so the drivetrain will survive just about anything.

As for upgrades…

Wolfe 6-pt weld-in Chromoly bar, 5-pt harnesses, and fully modified seats (Increased side and leg boulsters with better padding); fully rebuilt front suspension, C5 front brakes, etc…

Motor: 355 or 383 on the juice; really depends on if I have to buy a crank when I get everything torn down; the snout has already been heli-coiled for the balancer and I don’t know if I want to risk it with a fresh motor.

I’m going to the port work on the heads, as well as the assembly work for everything.

Any recommendations from anyone for a decent shop to clean/mangaflux the heads/block/crank, and do the machine work on the heads/block/crank for a decent price??

Tranny is getting a fresh rebuild as well with upgraded syncro’s and if I can get a decent price a Viper Output shaft.

Should be an interesting summer next year, hopefully I can roll with some of the big dogs:D

:tup: very nice hope everything works out for ya

:tup: to F bod projects

:tup: Sounds like some nice plans. Put a nice healthy cam in with those ported stockers and you should still move pretty good on the juice. Not cobra killing good, but good regardless. :stuck_out_tongue: Jk :smiley: Good luck with it and post pics of your progress!

I will be sure to take some more pics of everything when i get home and get all of the parts somehow organized, as far as after pics, i guess those are fine too since he told you what was all going into it lol

eh, not everything… most of it… but not everything…

there will be progress pics posted as things progress, I’m planning on a May completion date, or there abouts.

Oh, and as for Cobra Beating power… not even close to yours, but then again I’m not running boost…

If I had the $$ I want to really put into the car, then it would pretty much crush everything around, but I bought a house instead… I’m sorry, but 2 Large Snails fed with juice on a 396 >>>>>> 99.9999999% of the cars around; most of the ones that I’ve seen, which I’m basing my future system around are all in the 4-digit HP numbers W/O juice. But that’s a few seasons off, once I get some equity into the house.

Smart man :tup: I think what youve got planned might surprise ya though :wink: Should be a fun car no doubt. As for my car, eh who cares im probably selling it anyways :stuck_out_tongue:

really? Why’s that? bored with it?

yea, it should be enough to keep me interested for a while, plus not everything that’s going on has been disclosed so… :wink:

money money money… moooonnney

again good luck.

oroc better step it up

Nice…I need to change my exhaust setup to yours for next year…side pipes rock :slight_smile:

I’d suggest going with a bigger crank and making it a 383. You’ve got it torn down now anyway. The extra stroke would give you alot of decent low end torque, and if you plan on juicing it no matter what this would be a good way to save some N02 for when you really need it.

Seriously the price difference betwen a 383 and 355 isn’t that big.

Oh noes f body madness this winter. :slight_smile:

And your friend doesn’t look that excited sitting there.

She had been sitting there for like 2 hours while we ripped out the motor and tore it down. I dont think anything bores her more than cars lol

True, but this was supossed to be a “budget” rebuilt, so the gating factor right now between the 383 & 355 is if I need/want a new crank/rods… I already need fordged pistons, but I’m not sure on the crank/rods.

Yea, they are pretty sweet looking on the right car. I’ve got new tips that I just put on before it got torn apart, which makes it look even better, but…

I’m honestly going to be completely rebuilding the exhaust this spring. I don’t really like how my brother did some of the bends and transisitons; so I’m just going to pie-cut the thing and rebuild it with 2 1/2" stainless instead of aluminized.

Well she should have joined in on the fun!