Any big turbo guys ever try this??

this was posted up on my v6camaro site. A big turbo V6 F-body user is going to be trying this to reduce turbo lag. It actually looks like it would work but its kind of pricey. I guess its a pretty common thing amongst the big turbo supra owners…

http://www.spracingonline.com/store/Sound_Performance_Quick_Spool_Valve/3643

Adam knows a thing or two about anti-lag, I’ll let him chime in here and remind us why he’s still the man.

That would cause MASSIVE reversion in the exhaust manifold system. Any properly setup and tuned system that would hurt performance bigtime. Not worth it.

To go into a little more detail on it…it essentially a twin volute flange mated between a single volute exhaust header and turbine housing. Even when fully open A) you have the restriction and reversion of the butterfly valve itself in the exhaust path…this not only causes out of phase reversion back up the manifold, but bad turbulence entering the turbine volute and B), you have the divider between the volute openings which creates yet another reversion effect back down the manifold runners. This can wreck havoc on scavenging and balance of the motor, again hurting performance. If any one cylinder has to “fight” to release the exhaust into the rest of the stream, it takes power away from the motor to do so.

AKA…find another way to spool the turbo faster. Proper manifolding, proper turbo sizing, proper wastegate design/setup/operation.

Now used on an actual twin scroll setup you still run into reversion problems. By putting a block off butterfly into one of the volutes, you’re effectively negating the entire purpose of having a twin scroll manifold…which is to maximize the energy of each exhaust pulse at the turbine by allowing the cylinders to not impede each other in the manifold itself. The reversion of each cylinders exhaust stroke is isolated from the next in the firing sequence, thus imparting maximum potential to the turbine. The valve now causes all sorts of crazy reversion against the flow in the manifold. Not good at all no matter how you slice it.

It’s a hodge-podge thing to add into a good turbo setup. I’d rather see someone run a nitrous spray system into a turbine than use this.

:bowdown

I hit the damn post key before I was finished typing. Damn hands not working with brain :pete

25% increase eh?

great story and all, but i doubt Sound Performance would sell you something for that much that is going to have negative effects. they arent scammers.

Right?!?!!? I don’t buy it, and at $700 I wouldn’t ever.

If people would stop running GT40R sized turbos on their cars at 15lbs of boost this wouldn’t even exist… :idiots

It’s absolute math, manifold design, and basic engine principles. There’s nothing else to it and no bullshit. It may spool the turbo quicker, but you’re end results will result from tuning OVER other engine principles, essentially masking the issues created by the above product.

the way this piece works is like this…the valve closes at low rps to reduce lag…as soon as you get to your set spot it opens up…less to no lag…and like was stated above…sound performance would never make something that would make your car slower…

so what your saying is everyone should follow a strict compressor map for each and every turbo, and never use a turbo that on paper may be a little big for the engine, because the spool characteristics are compromised? in that case, porsche was WAY OFF on the old 911’s because those were lag monsters

Yea, Adam… Duhhhhh.

/sarcasm

Ray I’m quite aware of how it works, and never said it would make the car slower. However just because it makes the car faster, doesn’t mean it good or efficient for the motor itself. I could sit here and explain the effects of reversion on a motor but I quite frankly just don’t have the time to write a book tonight, especially when one can go search and read online.

Sometimes it’s like talking to a pile of bricks in here.

No, that’s not what I’m saying, the comment about th 40r’s was a joke. Take it with a grain of salt. What I am saying that this part creates dynamics inside the exhaust system of a turbocharged engine that are not efficient, nor beneficial to the engine itself. Off topic jaunt…Porsche used a 3LDZ on the 930s’ and a K27 on 965’s to run high CFM for the 3.0-3.3l motors with low boost to combat detonation on the air cooled engines of the era. Efficient at the time, we’re talking '74 to '94 here…not to mention most of the turbocharger technology back then was of diesel decent.

I’m sorry you don’t understand what I’m saying and are too stubborn to at least take the information I’ve posted and add it to known I.C. engine and fluid dynamics. I stick around this place to aid you guys in proper information, yet every time I try to explain something technical to you folks I’m shot down like I don’t know what the fuck I’m talking about. I’m not a god in the tuning world but this stuff IS my job. And people wonder why I closed my doors to the general public ::slight_smile:

I’m not going to sit here and argue this topic any longer, absolutely pointless. If I had the time I would CAD that piece in Solidworks and run it through Cosmos to show you the reversion it would cause. Financially speaking my time is devoted to me developing some resonance tuned intake manifolds for a certain race organization, of which a couple members here partake in… :wave

im glad you take the time to type that, but i dont need you to explain to me how things work. but thanks anyway. i understand the dynamics of it. im not a 17year old kid coming on here talking about body kits, blow off valves and HID’s.

If it makes the car faster by reducing lag on a big turbo, isnt it doing its job and your getting your money’s worth??

i wouldnt use it on my car, no need, but most of the guys using big turbos (T6 frame) are using nitrous for spool and most T6 equipped cars are either drag cars or limited use street cars( talking supras here) you V8 guys usually use twin T4’s or a single T6 and have so much volume spool isnt a problem

You’re much wiser than a lot of the people on this forum, but you’re also a dick to almost everyone. Adam doesn’t need this shit. The part may do it’s job of reducing lag, but also at the cost of the motor and turbo itself.

well, he quoted my post, then wrote that novel, which ultimately indicates he is directing towards me, im not trying to be little him in anyway, i dont even know the guy. but like i said above, most cars running big turbos have ways of spooling either by large displacement or N20. but as its also been said, if it were bad, and didnt work SP wouldnt sell it, they know what they are doing as well. maybe in the world of racing it might not be all that beneficial but for a street car, it could help.

He quoted it because you were being a prick to him in my opinion. Maybe it’s just me and how sarcasm can’t be sensed through a computer, but whatever.

I personally would never run such a part… But that’s because big turbos scare me.

And don’t take this the wrong way Brett, I think you’re a cool guy, but to 99% of the forum, you come off as a dick.