Any E46 3-series owners here?

So after selling the 240 I am after a daily driver. One cars I have been rally interested in is an E46 330i (primarily 2002 330i automatic). I know I know, brown person + 3-series = ballin’ on a budget. :hsugh: I am not after the stereotype reason for owning one.

My question is, how many of you do that do own one or know someone that does, have heard of the subframe issue? Just google for E46 subframe to see what I mean. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=E46+subframe

Any comments on this issue or the car in general?

I am not 100% on the BMW, just something I am highly considering. Any comments? (I’d appreciate any decent discussion on the subject and not single one liner attempts at being funny :squintnono: ) ?

PS, I actually prefer automatic as I am not looking to buy a ‘sports car’ and with the driving I do I don’t really want a manual anyways.

And yes I’m already on E46toronto.ca and googling information on line isn’t a problem; just looking for local feedback.

i can say for a fact that the 335’s pull a LOT harder then the 330’s, but unless your going to be ripping it it makes no difference.

i like the way they look. suspension feels sporty yet smooth. all around id say they make pretty good cars.

There is no such thing as an E46 335. Have you had experience with the subframe thing? I know if you drive it normally its fine and only happens under extreme stress (hard driving/shifting, etc.)

i know exactly what you’re talking about and it’s like you said if you don’t drive it hard you’ll be fine and a couple of my friends have 330’s and they rip the living crap out of them and they didn’t have any issues … just check before you buy and you should be alright but generally it’s a perfect car

Unless your concern is the brand, which you said it wasn’t, the G35 Sedan can be had for about the same money, if not less, and it is a superior car in every way. I know I’m biased and all, but… it is lol, it just is.

antonio it isn’t quite a bimmer

gotta go 5 spd.

The subframe issue isn’t that bad. It only becomes an issue if you like drag racing or drifting. In addition to the subframe, the axles are really skinny and weak. If you do plan on doing that, it is as simple as getting the M3 subframe reinforcements welded installing a M3 LSD with axles.

The 330i is best in its class imo. Sure the G35 has more power but the 330i with the m sport package has the best balance between performance and everyday comfort. The build quality is top notch and it handles great. I would reccomend getting the manual though.

My friend has a E46 320i and he has been to almost as many track days as me. The car is ultra reliable. His car has 146000kms or so and not much has gone wrong. He isn’t your typical bimmer driver either. He drives it hard everyday. It sees the redline all the time since the thing is so slow lol.

He snapped an axle at the drag strip last year after repeated launches on 18 inch rims. The guibo also went (the rubber bushing in the driveshaft) but thats a $40 part. And finally, he has been on r comps this season and on tight corners at full throttle, it cuts out when he is at or below a quarter tank. It is getting starved for fuel. Other than that, the car has been great.

Yea, I’m starting to think the subframe is an overhype. In either case I’m willing to shell out a grand or so to have it fixed, but hopefully the one I am looking at doesn’t have any issues to begin with.

The G35 I contemplated for a while but I passed out on it because of the motor size and it being somewhat of a gas guzzler from what I’ve read (I drive 500km/week for work).

Gonad, this might help your decision:

http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060701140129AAvjRZD

it ain’t no bimmer

i’m sold, its just meaningless sex over and over.

G35 Sedan is the ultimate wana-be ballers car.

True ballers would be driving in a 7 series BMW at LEAST.

Anything under than that = wannabe.

GTFO if you plan to troll in this thread :squint:

Any comments? (I’d appreciate any decent discussion on the subject and not single one liner attempts at being funny ) ?

You can get a much nicer 330 then G35 for the same money. And stop worrying about the subframe you drive like a pansy anyways.

;p

posted by Oz_racing
go to bimmersport they can reinforce your subframe so none of these issues will happen again, i have a e46 325 but its awd so i dont have that issue but i my e36 broke 2 times cause of the excessive power but just reinfoce and ur all well and good cost maybe a grand maybe

Grab a 330, g35 are bust…

I personally dislike the look of the G sedans, but honestly, anyone that is arguing against it is a BMW nuthugger. The fuel economy difference is marginal, and the very substantial HP difference more than makes up for it. Both cars have a good aftermarket support, but parts for all German cars are morbidly expensive. The 3 series is also a very small car, if you’re looking for a sedan, interior room is definitely a factor.
As for handling, comparing the M sport pack to a regular G35 sedan is bullshit and unfair, because there was no sport pack ever available for the sedans. Put a set of Tein Comfort Sports on it, and get an alignment and I assure you it will match or beat the Bimmer.

The biggest advantage though, is that the E46 3 Series, and all Bimmers in general are fragile as shit. Any problems the V35 may have had, are restricted to the Coupes and the 350Z. The sedan never got the revup motor which had the oil burning issues, it never had the tire feathering problems, and if you’re looking at an automatic, it also doesn’t have the 3rd gear synchro issues. An automatic G35 sedan is damn near indestructible. Every component on that car is bulletproof, you really can’t go wrong from a reliability standpoint.

G that subframe issue is so easy to work around , turner motorsports has the perfect solution iffff you even manage to rip it out.

call me and ill explain , i have had many friends who abuse their m3’s who did that job.

varun