Anyone ever take a train?

I’m thinking about going to NYC in March for a Sabres game. I have five other friends going who are all taking the Amtrak over there, I’ve never been on a train though. Plus it’s like $130, I could almost fly there for that much.

Any opinions? Anyone have discount codes for Amtrak?

Its overpriced…it takes forever…it would be my absolute last resort for travel…right after walking at the bottom of the list.

It is not comfortable at all. In fact the amtrak i took to NYC a couple years ago was possibly the worst traveling I’ve ever done. The plastic seats are surprisingly harder than plastic and the angle of the back to the seat was an amazing 75%. Not 105%, 75%. Yuck.

It does beat a greyhound though

Truth. Trains still absolutely suck though.

If you take a sleeper car, it fucking rocks. Dave and I have taken the train out to Montana several times, and when in the sleeper car they give you champagne, wine and cheese tasting, your own attendant, etc. It’s pricey, and probably not the best option for just going to NYC, but don’t count it out if you have the money for longer trips.

If everyone piles in a big car and drives it will cost everyone like ten bucks for gas.

And you can be on your own schedule, not the trains.

I like taking trains.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yeah that came out incredibly wrong eh? I meant I enjoy the scenery and shit. I think trains are neat.

Trains of dudes??

nyspeed is not a train.

yep, vive la france

Rent an SUV if none of you have one.

Between the car, gas and parking I’m sure it will be a lot less per person than the train.

Drive to yonkers, or somewhere else above the city, and take a train from there. Its cheap, quick, and you can avoid driving in the city.

taking the train to NYC is long and painful. but i’m sure with friends it would be pretty fun.

Been on a few while i was overseas. i actually enjoyed it. Its kind of like beer. its an aquired taste.

amtrak sucks cock compared to the bullet train i took while in japan.

Coach sucks balls. The non “Limited” trains suck balls (they stop a lot and aren’t meant for long-distance trips, more for .5-1hr jaunts). I’ve taken a LOT of various trips on the train and the key is as Cassie said, sleeper car. Even if it’s not an overnight trip, your meals are included, you often get a private bathroom, and you have room to spread out, work, not worry about your stuff, and true SERVICE.

Everyone is being such a bitch. The train to NYC is super cheap and not that bad. I’d highly recommend it if you don’t want to spend a lot of cash.