Anyone know the location requirements for a retail car dealer?

I’ve been getting a shitload of mixed information and was just wondering if someone knows for SURE if when filing for a retail dealers license if you need a commercial location or if you can use a residential address that can hold 4+ cars? Lots of info on just about everything else EXEPT if the location has to be commercial.

thanks

Pretty sure it has to be commercial last time I looked into it. However I am no expert. I would ask Jammer, I think he recently opened a small car lot

You need a location that is properly zoned for Automotive Retail Sales. That being said, you can do it out of your house if you want. The DMV doesn’t care, but your local muinicipality does.

hes one of the mixed answers ive gotten lol… he says he thinks it has to initially be commercial and then switch… other people say it has to be commercial period… and others say dmv stated it can be residential.

if ive got 6 cars in my driveway anyway, will they still care lol… i only plan on buying 1-2 cars at a time and selling them online.

I think it only matters if they are unregistered. Obviously, the more attention you draw, the more likeley it is you will run into problems…

Plus you have to hang the sign up on the “building” where it is visible. For some this could present a problem.

i mean, it/they will have a dealer plate on em?

Pretty much I just wanna get the ball rolling, get this license and then rent/buy a small spot and switch the location to there… Makes no sense to rent/buy a spot and then wait 3 months paying rent just to find out IF im gonna be approved or not.

Dealer plate is a red flag with the local town code enforcement… if they can see it. Don’t forget most towns either don’t allow, or only allow a certain number of, unregistered vehicles on your property.

not questioning what your saying, but a dealer couldnt drive a car to his home with a dealer plate? lol…

Amen to that. Just remember they will be doing a facility inspection when you change the address. You need to meet all of the requirements to maintain the license. Some guys looks the other way while some don’t. It’s still risky I guess.

I understand what you’re saying, but if you have a sign hanging up and another unregistered car there, they’ll most likely call you out.

true that… ok thanks man

location matters. zoning laws

some towns you can have 10 cars at your place of residence others you need to have them on the road or under a certain amount.

so you would have to check with your local city hall or town hall.

Zoning:" in the United States includes various land use laws falling under the police power rights of State governments and local governments to exercise authority over privately owned real property."

exercise authority on your land. that goes with what cossey said in another thread. give up your liberty and rights and mind as well get rid of all of them.

the more and more i read the less free i feel

My friends parents used their house to sell cars and put the sign out front. They live on a state road in an area with a lot of commercial buildings so it wasn’t as much of an issue as selling cars in the middle of the city.

The reality is the state (DMV) doesnt care about local. DMV will issue to a residence, but it can get very sticky, especially because the sign needs to be perminantly mounted, there needs to be an office, locking file cabinet, cash drawer, etc. Some beat the task easily, some have no chance.

I bought a truck from what was pretty much an abandoned house on State street 10 years ago. Nothing in the fucking place but it did have a dealer sign out front.

The guy was clueless as fuck about selling cars and I had to explain to him which forms I needed to fill out and that the truck needed to be inspected before he could close out his paperwork. He had me get it inspected (no way it wouldve passed a real inspection with no rear brakes, no e-brake and bald tires) and call him with the sticker info.

Most people that sell cars from their homes are wholesalers.

Two totally different things, buy a fucking place and stop being a jew.

Wholesale lic’s = you can do it from your house
Dealer lic = needs commercial property or a space zoned for commercial by the town